• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV Adventure

MaiNiaK

I've heard older Volvo blanks work well also.
I haven't had a chance yet to have mine done, do to the lack of a locksmith nearby. It's on my list though.

If you have one of those inferred thermometers, they come in very handy for checking hubs, brakes, engine and driveline.

Good luck on your trip. And welcome to Steal Soldiers.

kenet3621

Hope your trip will be uneventful and safe.

This tool was recommended to me by other Steel Soldiers for taking off lug nuts. It makes the job incredibly easy! It is called a torque multiplier.

I got mine on eBay.

torquemultiplier.JPG

Last edited:
Do you remember where you purchased the "tool"? First time I attempted to loosen my lug nuts no length of cheater bar would work. At least in my hands. I had to turn to the 1" impact wrench. I need to get my hands on a big torque wrench to reset them to proper specs.

Addendum: I now see, after careful reading that the purchase was made on eBay. It looks like a fairly substantial tool compared to others I have seen. I will have to search for a manufacture of a similar one.

Last edited:

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just buy a 1in impact driver from harbor freight...they are under 150.00... You can use the glad hands for air.
i use the crap out of mine...

Shark Bait

I've heard older Volvo blanks work well also.
I haven't had a chance yet to have mine done, do to the lack of a locksmith nearby. It's on my list though.

If you have one of those inferred thermometers, they come in very handy for checking hubs, brakes, engine and driveline.

Good luck on your trip. And welcome to Steal Soldiers.

Mine too were older Land Rover.

Keith Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also they are prone to breaking a small part inside the door handle and very hard to find replacements and expensive when you do. So be sure to keep the latch lubricated and working smoothly to prevent extra stress on the door handle.
Keith
M1078A1 2003yr
M38 1951yr

Keith Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry that last post didn't send properly its about the door handles.
Be sure to take both door handles to the locksmith, mine were both different and ended up making to trips to the locksmith. He used volvo key blank Ilco x29 key.
Keith
M1078A1 2003yr
M38 !951yr

Pointman0853

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok... Well, it's been a busy day today. We picked up the truck this morning outside of Philadelphia. After quick stops at Harbor Freight (basic tools), and Pep Boys (wiper blades), we finally hit the PA turnpike around 1:00. We have finally quit for the day in Wheeling VA, and we are headed west in I-70.

The drive train appears to be trouble free so far. Thanks to the prior owner for taking care of it and being diligent with the maintenance.

My my list of '****-to-get' seems to be growing exponentially. It is missing the m-16 mounts and the tool box behind the passenger seat. The drivers seat belt latch is non-op, and I may try to swap out the latch from the gunners seat to get me buckled up.

I spent sowme time adjusting the drivers door in a fairly vain effort to close some gaps. It will need new door seals ( they look to be generic and sold by the foot?) and the windlass around the passenger window is missing, forcing my co-pilot, Point-wife , to stuff cardboard in it to prevent rattles.

The tires all have Schrader valves in them, and the CTIS module is disconnected. That I'll sort at home. The tires all seem to be overinflated, so I will check them in the morning at 55lbs in the hope that the ride will improve. The heater controls are missing knobs, so anyone who may have a source for those, and new door levers, feel free to PM me about them or any other items previously mentioned.

Back in in the road at the crack tomorrow. I'm enjoying all the waves and thumbs up we are getting. Maybe we'll see some of you on the way west!

Putting the ear phones to good use, and so far, no hemmrhoids..

Georgeo

Pkrez1

Hey George and Buffy

Glad to see you are still having fun. I think you're crazy but I am a little jealous at the same time, haha
I really hope you make it and everything works out great
I over inflated the tires so you could adjust down to a comfortable psi. When I was checking the tires before you picked it up the driver side rear was down from 80 to 63 pounds so make sure you keep an eye on that tire. Last week Joe put the truck into the shop and had our friend who is a very good truck mechanic go over the entire truck and I grabbed some pics.

Good luck!

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg