• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for recommendations on Injection Pump rebuild in the Ft. Worth area

Jack Lope

Have the fuel lines and fuel feed attached to the injection pump. I had to go to a friends house to use his vice to clamp down the pump. Everything is TIGHT. I'm hoping I didn't get them too tight. Tomorrow begins the install.

Jack Lope

I found this info in the 6.2 TM. It states where to put the pump alignment according to pump type. The problem is, my pump isn't listed. My pump is DB2 4521.

Attachments

Chaski

20160225_204233.jpg

I'm fond of a 5/8" 12 point crowfoot on a 6" extension for working on the lines when the pump is on the engine. If you get in a jam try to track down a quality one. I have had good luck with my Martin ones.

If you find any timing info specific to your pump model please post it for reference

Last edited:

Jack Lope

If you find any timing info specific to your pump model please post it for reference
I emailed Stanadyne asking about pump DB2 4521 and they sent me two PDF files. I'm need to study them more to determine if this tells me where to put the marks when installing the pump.
Stanadyne said:
Attached is the specification for your pump model 04521. On the first page I’ve highlighted the timing method and values for this pump, the #1 cylinder for the pump (simulating the face of a clock, it would be 10 o’clock viewing it from the transfer pump end), and the rotation of the pump, which is counter clockwise viewed from the driveshaft end. In order to accomplish this you would need a special Stanadyne service tool (p/n 23715) and follow the procedure listed on the bulletin 375, page 3.

Attachments

cucvrus

I am tapping out of this job. I never had to get this involved in an injection pump installation. I just replace them. Time them line to line and done with it. Worked a hundred times. I never even looked at the tags on the side of the pump. I think you can do a job and then you can over do a job. IMHO you are looking to deep into this. But do as you wish. I see no harm in doing it both ways. Butis is a simple task. The minor details can be made into a major project and are not needed. Good Luck. That is way over my head.

Jack Lope

How many miles are on the engine?
About 60k now. I've put about 5k+ on it. I think those PDF docs may have to do with pump timing/specs and not engine timing. I imagine the guys that rebuilt my pump would find those docs more useful. CUCVRUS, I can be a little obsessive at times. Unfortunately for me, it's not as simple as bolt it on. I can't sleep at night not knowing why/how/where/etc. This is all new to me and I just want to be certain of what I'm doing. I only posted those docs in case someone else found them useful.

Last edited:

CUCVLOVER

About 60k now. I've put about 5k+ on it. I think those PDF docs may have to do with pump timing/specs and not engine timing. I imagine the guys that rebuilt my pump would find those docs more useful. CUCVRUS, I can be a little obsessive at times. Unfortunately for me, it's not as simple as bolt it on. I can't sleep at night not knowing why/how/where/etc. I only posted those docs in case someone else found them useful.
My truck has 58K on it. I would set the pump other right on line to line or a fuzz past the line if you think your engine has enough wear. I would mount it line to line and run it for a couple days and see how it's running. Then advance or retard from there by feel and sound. It's a old diesel. Fuel and air in the top, and a little fire in the hole and she is happy as she gets.
I have pulled the 40K lbs weight sled at the truck pull twice with the pump set line to line before I had it rebuilt. I set it line on line after rebuild and all is good.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NyAW-q7vsLQ

cucvrus

This is a swiss army knife not a swiss watch. You have several options. You will be good trust me. It is not as hard as you are making or worrying about it. The newer diesels are more sensitive to timing then this old iron. Put it on crank it over bleed the lines to the nozzles and fire it up. Easy enough?

Jack Lope

Nice video!!! I'm still doing a little cleaning today, but this sounds like a good plan. Hoping to have it bolted on before the day is over.
I would mount it line to line and run it for a couple days and see how it's running. Then advance or retard from there by feel and sound.

Last edited:

Chaski

I emailed Stanadyne asking about pump DB2 4521 and they sent me two PDF files. I'm need to study them more to determine if this tells me where to put the marks when installing the pump.
That is neat info, and shows how to apply the timing mark to the pump housing, that is something only a rebuild shop would do. I don't think that info will help you out. GM for whatever reason made some combos of pumps and engines with timing marks that shouldn't be aligned. Who knows why they did that, it was the 80's.

For every milimeter you move the top of the pump you make a 2 degree timing change (really really close to 2 degrees). Try it with the lines lined up, then move it in small increments twards the drivers side if you have cold starting issues or white smoke at idle. Another thing is if you turn up the fuel on your pump it actually advances the timing a bit.

If you do think you need to advance your timing a bit you can jumper 12v over to the cold advance solenoid on the housing. That will advance it about 3 degrees for testing.

Jack Lope

I'm planning on starting the truck before bolting the intake manifold on to check for leaks easier. To do that, does the vacuum pump need to be bolted back up correctly? Right now, it's twisted/rotated out of the way to remove the intake manifold.

cucvrus

Just tighten the bolt on the hold down. it could attempt to spin and beat against the firewall. Off topic a bit. I had a guy mark his vacuum pump before removal. So it was in time with the transmission shifts. He was taught that in the Army. Blew his mind when I showed him how it did not matter. Later i heard another guy saying the same thing at a garage. Same thing he was in the Army. Funny stuff.

Jack Lope

The truck is kicking my butt today. The plastic drain plug on the fuel filter housing broke. I tightened it down too tight and it snapped. Any suggestions on fixing that? I wonder if Home Depot has a fitting in the plumbing section that would work. But, the pump is on.

Last edited:

cucvrus

done with my injection pump..jpgHey don't be discouraged. Bandaids are cheap. After you are all done sit back and admire your work and relax. Have a cigarette if you smoke if not enjoy the day. In all seriousness as many guys on this site that removed the stock fuel filter someone should have jumped to send you the drain screw/petcock. I sent one out to a fellow member for free. Good luck with your job. I am not sure how you ended up with the wires in the incorrect place but so be it. It sounds like you have a plan. Keep going. I have an injection pump to put on today also. I will report back later. Good Luck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks