• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1078 LMTV Fix-up Thread

Third From Texas

Got a bunch of cool stuff for the truck coming up and coming in. Weather cooled off, so I am hopefully going to be able to get some big stuff done!

Got some fairly cold weather early this year and had some sputtering at start. Fuel system was loosing it's prime. Think it was my water separator bowl. Anyone else had this failure at the seal where the wire goes through?
Yeah, it's finally dropped below 90 degrees here.

Time to do some work.

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got a bunch of cool stuff for the truck coming up and coming in. Weather cooled off, so I am hopefully going to be able to get some big stuff done!

Got some fairly cold weather early this year and had some sputtering at start. Fuel system was loosing it's prime. Think it was my water separator bowl. Anyone else had this failure at the seal where the wire goes through?
Are you going to give us a hint as to what "big stuff" is?

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
Well, I had some issues at the Texas rally! Got there fine, then the next morning, truck wanted to lock into gear due to code 25 11. That is 0 reading from the Output Speed Sensor.

I did a bunch of stuff to try & get it fixed, including replacing what I thought was the speed sensor. No luck. Got a tip from the Facebook group that the speed sensor is internal and someone had a similar issue as mine. They let the truck get warm, revved it in neutral a few times, and got it to work. Out of desperation I tried it & it work. I got home! I have not really took the time to troubleshoot it all the way since I got home as that was a big disappointment/let down for the truck to do that to me.

But, I have done some reading & gotten a few more tips. It's a pretty in-depth troubleshooting process, so I am going to cover it in a video specifically on it's own, along with some FMTV transmission 101 type stuff as the setup in our trucks vs others in different due to the transfer case & not having an ECM in the vehicle. The TCM gets it's information in a much different way.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A1+ trucks do have ECM's so they get their information in a much more typical fashion. Also less wiring since most of the "data" is over a serial bus and so only a few wires to carry the various protocols. It's actually simpler in a lot of ways - just requires different tools and techniques to work on. On the consumer side it has allowed massive increases in the amount of computers and features while on the whole increasing reliability - although they have added so much that it's brought that back down somewhat due to complexity being the natural enemy of reliability and the electronic components being built to a lower consumer standard than our mil spec parts.

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
A1+ trucks do have ECM's so they get their information in a much more typical fashion. Also less wiring since most of the "data" is over a serial bus and so only a few wires to carry the various protocols. It's actually simpler in a lot of ways - just requires different tools and techniques to work on. On the consumer side it has allowed massive increases in the amount of computers and features while on the whole increasing reliability - although they have added so much that it's brought that back down somewhat due to complexity being the natural enemy of reliability and the electronic components being built to a lower consumer standard than our mil spec parts.
I understand that. Mine is a basic truck, so that is what the thread is geared too. 3116 engine & mostly mechanical with a WTECIII transmission.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks