• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A2 came home with me today!

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Wooo-frickin-hooooo!! I got the lights working this morning. I turned all of the lights on and then disconnected the turn signal plug and found 28v back-feeding on the 461-21 wire. Hmmm, that ain't right. I went back to the back and disconnected the wire from the composite light. The back-feed disappeared. OK, it just had to be a bad ground causing the back-feed. I had check all of the grounds on the frame already, but all of the rear lights were grounded to the bed. Turns out that the bed and frame had a very poor connection. I took a jumper wire with some alligator clips on it and connected the frame and bed. Voila!! Everything started working like a charm!! Rather than removing bolts from the bed mounts and trying to clean the connections, I think I'll just buy a heavy-duty ground strap and some star washers and hook the two together. Man, what a relief!!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good for you! Persistance pays off once again. (We all knew you would figure it out sooner or later!) :driver:

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks guys :) On a different high note, I got a fax copy of my Gulfway Insurance ID card today. Now, I'm off to the dang DMV again. Grrrr aua

loslobos11

I hear your pain, I just spent over an hour and a half at my town office paying excise tax, after much debate they decided to make up a vin so they could figure out what to charge me...ended up not being that bad. I insured through progressive for $10 a month.....that being said, tomorrow will be my second trup to the dmv and hopefully my last.
good luck

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good going Chris! When I installed the pipeline bed on my deuce, I automatically added a ground strap to the frame with all the extra lights that came with it.
It should all be covered in my latest article in MVM, but haven't seen the magazine yet, though...maybe my subscription expired...

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks Fancy. Glad to hear you are making progress on your truck title too.

Bjorn, I look forward to reading your article. I get MVM hand-me-down from my Dad so I haven't seen the latest issue yet. I ordered a 20" flat woven ground strap yesterday and will install it Friday or Saturday. I am going to drill a hole in the bed x-member right above where the trailer plug grounds to the frame. That should take care of it [thumbzup]

Well, the DMV trip was a big success! The ladies in my local office are awesome. I took them some fudge to keep them sweet ;) After a conversation with a supervisor in the Richmond office, BMY Division was finally added to the DMV menu and my title was issued. I titled it for 25,999 since I never plan on max'ing out the gross. The weighted plates were not cheap, but at least I am legal :)

I stopped by NAPA after the DMV to get replacement filters for the engine oil, fuel and tranny. I also went after a stop light switch for the air brakes since the wiring connector snapped off of mine tuesday evening. I know those guys would be able to match something up. They broke out the giant air brake parts book and found me a civi stop light switch made by Haldex. It is rated for 12-24v, 200 psi and was tested past 1 million cycles at 30 amps. I had to snip the military wire terminals off and install ring terminals. I'll prolly make up a pigtail with some military plugs later on.

I fired up the truck to test the brake lights. It worked like a charm. I idled it up to 1500 rpm and let it fill the tanks up. Then, amazingly, the CTIS system started filling all of the tires to 60 psi. It cycled on and off as the air tanks dropped down in pressure. Once it got all of the tires to 60 psi, the system kicked off and the highway light was lit steady on the control panel. I was so frickin pumped!!

I'll post up the Haldex number for the light switch and all of the numbers for the NAPA Gold filters.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Awesome Chris this truck will be the most viewed one at Aberdeen, I am so glad you got the 900 series I still grieve over the Army getting rid of them for the FMTV's our loss your gain.

No.2Diesel

If I may be so bold as to ask how much (approx.) Gulfway charges per year. I pay $600 a year through GEICO and its registered Commercial. Do they require that it locked in a barn? or other ridiculous requirements?

Man I can only imagine how great that must have felt when everything worked as it supposed to on your 923. Veddy Nyyce!! :D

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
David, thanks for the compliment. I just need to make sure I don't park my truck next to Bruce Kubu's. ;) His is freshly painted and looked incredible when I saw it a Winslow's a couple of weeks ago.

No.2, mine runs $346/yr. They are great folks to deal with.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No worries, Chris...with the wife pregnant, I'm not driving anything to the show so you should have the most impressive truck on the lot. My wife is due any day now so I might have to make a quick getaway! :D Chris, I can't wait to see your truck. You've really done a lot to it in a very short time.

FSBruva

Ditto - Congrats on getting so much done to the truck in such a short span!! I am sure it's a nice bit of relief when something unexpectantly WORKS.

Again - congrats. And, I think you set the bar quite high for turning a truck around from GL to Aberdeen!

Matt

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ha, thanks guys. I am really happy with the progress I have made since February. My brother, Chad, is coming up tomorrow. He's bringing a few last minute parts from Winslow and is staying to help me finish a bunch of little projects. We'll be taking it for a shake-down run tomorrow afternoon to see if anything needs adjusted, replaced, greased, etc... I haven't decided whether or not to paint over the DRMO markings on the truck before Aberdeen. Part of me says, leave em on there as a badge of courage and the other says paint over them to make the truck look in service. I am leaning towards the latter, but we'll see how I do on time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks