• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M925A2 to M932LA2 Conversion

Tornadogt

Can you give us any more specifics on the Air to Air inner cooler?? year or make it came from? The Build is looking great.

Edit: Also why are you removing the after-cooler? Are you concerned about air restriction? As far as heat from the cooling system you can just unhook the water lines. I think the Air to Air is the best choice for large volume of cold air. I was just curious how restrictive the after-cooler would be if it was just left in there.

Last edited:

4XDesign

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you give us any more specifics on the Air to Air inner cooler?? year or make it came from? The Build is looking great.

Edit: Also why are you removing the after-cooler? Are you concerned about air restriction? As far as heat from the cooling system you can just unhook the water lines. I think the Air to Air is the best choice for large volume of cold air. I was just curious how restrictive the after-cooler would be if it was just left in there.
The intercooler is from a 60 series Detroit they stopped production in 98. I did a bunch of measuring and found it to be the best fit. The reason I wanted to gut the aftercooler was to eliminate is much restriction as possible. I'm going to attempt to flip the intake to make the the air enter from driver side. I'm hoping that the air will be cool enough that the after cooler if left functioning would heat the charge, just another reason to clean it out I guess.

Tornadogt

The intercooler is from a 60 series Detroit they stopped production in 98. I did a bunch of measuring and found it to be the best fit. The reason I wanted to gut the aftercooler was to eliminate is much restriction as possible. I'm going to attempt to flip the intake to make the the air enter from driver side. I'm hoping that the air will be cool enough that the after cooler if left functioning would heat the charge, just another reason to clean it out I guess.

I guess as far as application I was also asking about what truck/piece of equipment I should look for the innercooler in. Freightliner, Peterbuild, or even what series would be helpful.. Thanks

4XDesign

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess as far as application I was also asking about what truck/piece of equipment I should look for the innercooler in. Freightliner, Peterbuild, or even what series would be helpful.. Thanks
I believe an international but the truck I measured was in a large shop with trucks that are still in use. From there I asked some of the guys that worked there and the told me what engine it had. They also said cooler styles tend to go with engines even in different truck applications. I did an auction search for a 60 series intercooler. I then got the seller to pull some more measurement to ensure it was the same as the one from the shop. So the search was for a 60 series Detroit intercooler. I will pull measurements from the one I have if you locate one that your unsure of.

4XDesign

Steel Soldiers Supporter
image.jpg
Any more pics? Love the build. I want to build a crew cab tractor next.
The plan for the tri axle deuce is to make it into a four door eventually. Here is one more picture of the intercooler, along with 2 others from using the other truck to move some stuff. The drive shaft was twisted off pulling a full shipping container. I had already moved 2 and this one had lots of surf in it!!

Attachments

Last edited:

4XDesign

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is one more picture the intercooler is mounted and all the boots and piping are starting to go together.
I may just mount headlights and turn signals on the truck as it is because it looks pretty tough...!

Attachments

4XDesign

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had to relocate the power steering cooler. I moved and mounted it into the void in the hood behind the grill. I also had to reroute the hoses make a hole and sleeve the lower support.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
I also got the hood back on, changed tires to XZL's, the front wheels are new and have less back spacing to move tires out board a bit.

image.jpg

74M35A2

I'm so intrigued with this intercooler deal now that somebody forged the path first, and the way it seems to be a near factory fit around the radiator, that I immediately went out and acquired the same one. Guy was asking $250 on eBay, I called and offered him $100 and he took it. Additional $140 to ship it to my work. In talking with 4X, he said it was a lot of work to fully gut the 8.3 intake of the after cooler, so I am likely going to simply acquire a used intake off a non-after cooled 8.3 and go that way with it.

IC.jpg

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
4XDesign - You have an amazing set of skills and a nice shop! I love your conversion! Turning a 5 ton into a tractor with a sleeper cab is flat-out BRILLIANT! :) I'd love to have a truck just like the one you're building!!!
:driver::jumpin::goodjob:

4XDesign

Steel Soldiers Supporter
4XDesign - You have an amazing set of skills and a nice shop! I love your conversion! Turning a 5 ton into a tractor with a sleeper cab is flat-out BRILLIANT! :) I'd love to have a truck just like the one you're building!!!
:driver::jumpin::goodjob:
Thank y'all very much! The Lord blessed me with the ability. I'm thankful for it and do enjoy creating things! I am planning on making this truck pretty wild then selling it. If you would be interested in the truck I could finish it to your liking. Because it will be for sale. The current plan is 8" or 10" octagon black stacks, dual 120 black fuel tanks, sleeper black and green paint, similar to a pererbilt as far as paint scheme. The pictures of the rat rod is an example of the stacks. The red and white truck is the paint scheme. Red on my truck will be black and white will be green.

image.jpgimage.jpgI

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the offer for that truck, but I prefer a more low key design that still looks military. Your basic design intrigues me because I've never seen anyone mount a sleeper cab to a 5 ton chassis.

Eventually I will be in the market for a vehicle that can tow a travel trailer on a round trip journey from FL to Yellowstone and the Grand Canyon. A truck with a sleeper cab would be great due to the long journey I'm planning. I need a truck (preferably all wheel drive/four wheel drive) with creature comforts (A/C, stereo, cruise control, comfortable seats) and can be used as a daily driver. I'm still recovering from sticker shock after checking the prices of crew cab pickups! :shock: I'd love to buy a military vehicle but the closest thing I can find that would suit my needs is the elusive LSSV or CUCV II/III. My M1009 is able to pull a max of 6000 lbs. It can haul a TT but I feel limited to flat lands. It doesn't have the power or wheelbase to make it up and down steep slopes safely.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks