• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M925A2 to M932LA2 Conversion

74M35A2

So, any noticeable differences with that big honking intercooler?

Rabbit's got the gun huh?

I'm also wanting to hear 4x's results of this.

Intercooler I bought had 4 holes in it. I had them TIG welded shut, just got it back. A lot of corrosion all over the outside of it, especially the tubes. Inside looks clean as the day it was new, I checked in both openings with a bore scope. I'm going to pressure test it tonight to 40psi tonight and see if it explodes. There is a story somewhere of a guy who pressure tested his and the plug flew out, bashed him in the face, and broke all his teeth out. I'm going to try to avoid that from happening. 40psi on a 4" dia surface is 500lbs of force. We'll see what this 4" Oatey test plug from the Home Depot plumbing isle looks like flying through my neighbors kitchen window at 88mph...

Last edited:

JohnnyBM931A2

Rabbit's got the gun huh?

I'm also wanting to hear 4x's results of this.

Intercooler I bought had 4 holes in it. I had them TIG welded shut, just got it back. A lot of corrosion all over the outside of it, especially the tubes. Inside looks clean as the day it was new, I checked in both openings with a bore scope. I'm going to pressure test it tonight to 40psi tonight and see if it explodes. There is a story somewhere of a guy who pressure tested his and the plug flew out, bashed him in the face, and broke all his teeth out. I'm going to try to avoid that from happening. 40psi on a 4" dia surface is 500lbs of force. We'll see what this 4" Oatey test plug from the Home Depot plumbing isle looks like flying through my neighbors kitchen window at 88mph...
Good times..

4XDesign

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It makes about a 10-15 mph difference on any hill and flat ground it allows as much spreed as you'd like. I have it turned way up and you can still push it to high egts. I would like to find an air filter that will get more air to the motor. It pegs the filter guage every time I accelerate. I've seen sustained 30 psi and spikes of 35 or so.

Tornadogt

It makes about a 10-15 mph difference on any hill and flat ground it allows as much spreed as you'd like. I have it turned way up and you can still push it to high egts. I would like to find an air filter that will get more air to the motor. It pegs the filter guage every time I accelerate. I've seen sustained 30 psi and spikes of 35 or so.
Is this with the Stock OEM turbo?? Have you installed the "Those Military Guys" air filter upgrade yet? I helps some but a complete new air inlet system would still be a big improvement.

4XDesign

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is this with the Stock OEM turbo?? Have you installed the "Those Military Guys" air filter upgrade yet? I helps some but a complete new air inlet system would still be a big improvement.
Yes stock turbo, I believe it's capable of more boost but egts limit how hard I can push it. I have done a mod to the air intake that is the same concept of the kit from "those military guys". I'm going to most likely build a filter box under the hood and pipe in fresh air from the front of the truck similar to the heater on the opposite side. I will use a higher cfm filter to hopefully not peg filter Guage. Then see what egts and psi think about more air!

4XDesign

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any one know the cfm of the stock filter. I looked up the filter Those military guys are using with the kit and its 950. I'm just looking for a better filter option for the stock location. It pulls the indicator into red on first acceleration.

JohnnyBM931A2

Any one know the cfm of the stock filter. I looked up the filter Those military guys are using with the kit and its 950. I'm just looking for a better filter option for the stock location. It pulls the indicator into red on first acceleration.
I seem to recall someone saying 650ish recently for the stock filter. Also, make sure there are no issues with the intake cap on the top of the stack. If it has been painted a bunch of times the mesh screen might be clogged up with paint.

4XDesign

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I installed the same filter TMG use on their kits. It is supposed to flow 950 cfm. When accelerating the truck still pulls the indicator all the way up, but it does not stay after letting off as it previously did. I'm not sure what this means but it seems like an improvement.

4XDesign

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I seem to recall someone saying 650ish recently for the stock filter. Also, make sure there are no issues with the intake cap on the top of the stack. If it has been painted a bunch of times the mesh screen might be clogged up with paint.
Grill on mushroom looks good it's the style that's not as easily painted. Maybe I'll pull it off and give that a try.

JohnnyBM931A2

Grill on mushroom looks good it's the style that's not as easily painted. Maybe I'll pull it off and give that a try.
Yeah I did the TMG filter upgrade, intake cap screen is perfect, yet I still experience the same results as you. Gauge goes halfway to the top under acceleration. Yesterday I went for my first drive after the filter upgrade, and I posted my findings in the regular 5 ton section. Other guys are thinking it may just be an issue with the gauge itself not being designed properly. That is definitely possible. I'm wondering if the intake stack assembly is just too small in diameter, at least when you consider how long the run is. That is why I am considering going with an 8" top cap and 8" pipe all the way until I reach the turbo, at which point it will neck down to whatever the inlet size is for the turbo. I already ordered a NOS 8" top cap w/inlet screen (I think it came from a HEMTT.) If it's not raining too bad today I will try to go out and take some measurements, to see if it is even possible to fit 8" tubing through various areas.

I really want to investigate this before I get involved with turning up the fuel/rpm.

4XDesign

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Excited!!! cant wait to see inside pics. How big of sleeper you go with?
Here are a couple more pictures. I'll measure it this morning because I can't recall. It's looking like the spare tire rack will fit nicely behind the cab, this will even out the look of the tanks being a little longer. The tank brackets gave me a fit because of the transfer case mounts. The PTO pump was right in the way as well... I was able to get it low enough that it has the almost even look of over the road pererbilt flat tops. The body line on the sleeper lines up with the top just above the window and since this portion will be black it will look even better. I'm working on marking the truck cab, then I'm going to pull the sleeper to make final cuts. I will be welding in a flange to attach the boot also.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks