• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My first Deuce

scoutmanadam

its just a form that the seller fills out saying the price he sold it to you for. they will use that as the value since you cant find a deuce in a blue book. it will save you some taxes on it as you will just have to pay sales tax on it for the purchase price, no additional fee shenanigans. when i bought mine, they wanted me to take it to a car dealership to find out its value for tax purposes....some people. Also, go to a sub agent NOT the county auditors office it will be much easier.

utterpirate

I had to use that form to register my shop built stock trailer when I moved it to Yakima from Oklahoma. I got the form from the state patrol inspection station between Yakima and Union Gap.
I worked weekends at Harborview but I don't remember where the station is for the 206ers.
Did you get a picture of the tah tahs by any chance???

Amram

Ah ok....my first time buying a vehicle from private seller. I found out today the cargo canopy frame rails that came with my truck are the ones made for a dropside bed. Does it really matter whether my truck is not a dropside truck? The frame rails seem to be sliding down into the holes on each side of the troops seats. The big difference I can tell is the corner and stake assemblies are use a hinge latch on the dropside versions and the other just uses 2 screws. Am I correct in assuming this system will work on my truck as well?

Amram

I finally got the truck registered and insured. Washington State required me to put commercial plates on it due to the weight class it falls in. Total registration was $169. The clerk, a very young and attractive one at that, was very helpful in the process. Insurance I went with USAA who are charging me $840 a year for liabilty with $300k coverages. I guess we duece drivers drive wrecking balls on wheels. I drove the truck to work today for giggles.:lol: Gave base security guards some entertainment watching me negatiate that beast around the jersey barrier obstacle course to get to the gate. Needless to say they were quite impressed and even more impressed when I told them it had no powersteering.:cool:

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Ah ok....my first time buying a vehicle from private seller. I found out today the cargo canopy frame rails that came with my truck are the ones made for a dropside bed. Does it really matter whether my truck is not a dropside truck? The frame rails seem to be sliding down into the holes on each side of the troops seats. The big difference I can tell is the corner and stake assemblies are use a hinge latch on the dropside versions and the other just uses 2 screws. Am I correct in assuming this system will work on my truck as well?
Yup it works fine, and makes it easier to remove them as well.

Amram

Got the cover on finally today. Took me all day with distractions included. It's not all the way tight yet, but my arms are like wet noodles now after doing this solo so I'll play with it some more tomorrow weather permits.

Attachments

OverSizeHeavyHauler

when you remove and refold it, you gonna want to put the underside down on the ground, and fold take a 6ft deal of rope an just simple knot it and then take one side, apprx 1/4 way, and bring it into the center an repeat to the other side, leave the ropes ( 2per side) hangin loose..

whatcha wanna do is set your tarp up like a flatbedder does, so you can lay it out on the center an have the 2 deals of rope to bring the side skirts down to you. then you can untie your side skirt ropes an just toss em in the bed or what ever ya wanna do.

I pulled oversize loads, and occasionally Id pull a 14wide crated machinery, and believe you me, the less you have to man handle, the better. let gravity work for ya.

Amram

Well it's been a while since I posted in my very own special thread so I will give you an update. After I got it registered and insured I started experiencing hiccups with my deuce. I think my deuce has caught the flu. It is being lethargic up hills, bogging down going up 3% grades in Low 4th and 5th. Troubleshooting so far has led me to replace all 3 fuel filters, bled the lines twice, and pulling the in tank pump to clean. Still sick. My next step is I have ordered a new in-tank pump and I am going to replace all software in my IP. While doing all this I am going to hook my air compressor up to the fuel lines and the primary pump and give them a nice blow down. 125 psi air works wonders on the submarine. I have ordered a lot of stuff for my deuce to make her like new again so by the time I am done Erik will love me long time. I am debating on creating a thread in the Reader's rides forums to document my progress and yes I know:nopics So I will be posting some once it stops raining up here. Till then hoist a glass:beer:.

BAZYRKYR

"software in my IP"...??? I new to Deuce's so I'm a little confused by this statement. It sounds like you're talking about a Mac or a PC verse your 1970 AMC M35A2. Can you please elaborate on that for me? Thanks.

anjay22

Way to go! Welcome to the Green disease, its very contagious and it wont go away. I bought my deuce in September of 2011 and I am shopping for another already.

lawdog1623

ugh...im not looking forward to the reg process. Ill be starting mine in the next few weeks. I hear in texas its a headache because i dont have the title for mine. The previous owner didnt get it. On another note, you guys should check into one of the two ins. companies that most owners use. They quoted me around $150 per year to insure mine but the reason i didnt get it was i dont have a completely enclosed garage they require to insure it. :cry:

Amram

ugh...im not looking forward to the reg process. Ill be starting mine in the next few weeks. I hear in texas its a headache because i dont have the title for mine. The previous owner didnt get it. On another note, you guys should check into one of the two ins. companies that most owners use. They quoted me around $150 per year to insure mine but the reason i didnt get it was i dont have a completely enclosed garage they require to insure it. :cry:
Yeah I don't have room for a huge garage either. and my garage in my house may fit the hood of the deuce in it.

Amram

So today was one of those rare sunny days here in Washington, so I decided to go work on my deuce some. I got early this morning jumped into my car and ran to Harbor Freight for some new tools needed to make my deuce purdy. Got home snapped a few pics. I bought a needle gun which with my 8yrs experience of being in the navy submarine fleet..I know how to keep old iron from rusting. Went to town on my truck with my new little needle gun knocking rust loose all over the place. For the sheet metal just turn your compressor regulator down to 50 psi and you won't have to worry about beating the metal up. I also went to lowes today and grabbed a bunch of wood for the new troop seats I will be building this week if the weather plays nice. Also the beer can crusher I bought today is an integral part of my restoration process.8)

Attachments

Last edited:

BAZYRKYR

What insurance is that? Because my regular insurance quoted me at $200 every 6 months for just liability. I have no tickets...no accidents...nothing...and I feel the $600 every 6 months on my paid for liability "daily driver" that only gets driven 10 miles a week too much.

Scrounge41

Bazyrkyr, When are you coming to N. Florida to get your 109 and who did you get it from. I'm in St. Augustine, which is just south of Jacksonville. I've had mine since Jan. and love it.

BAZYRKYR

Congrats on your acquiring a Deuce. Got any pics? I love seeing what everyone has and is doing to them. Its like one of those "Pimp my Ride" shows but 1000 times better. LOL...I wish Chip Foose could turn mine into an EMP hardened (even more than it already is) live-in Bug Out Vehicle. I'm going down in a couple of weeks....I'm just getting the last last of the money for the trip and the last bit I owe on the truck together. I am getting it from a man named Dale out of Lake City. I saw this really nice looking Tan M35A2 on eBay and in the pic in the background I saw a Marine Corps M109A3 and just absolutely fell in love with it and said to myself..."D*mn I wish that was for sale"...and when I went to the next page sure enough it was for sale too. Since it was Marine Corps Green, a Shop Body, and a multi-fuel and that was almost exactly what I wanted and since his number was on the page I called him up and we worked out a deal. I was supposed to pick it up at the end of March but had to go into our "Sh*t Happens" 1 month extension for an extra $100. But now its so close I can smell the diesel, hear the turbo, and feel this beast rumbling beneath me .:driver:

PS.....we should start a new "I just got a new deuce/ my 1st Deuce" thread so we aren't hi-jacking this mans thread

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks