• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to me Deuce with matching trailer - wrenching post

banditt1979

Question about the air system: when I shut the truck down I can hear air hissing under the dash. After a while it sounds like a valve closes then the hissing stops. Is this normal or do I need to look for the leak? I'm thinking its related to the low pressure buzzer.
Also, what tire pressures are you guys running? Most of mine were below 15psi so I pumped them all up to 30psi to start.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Question about the air system: when I shut the truck down I can hear air hissing under the dash. After a while it sounds like a valve closes then the hissing stops. Is this normal or do I need to look for the leak? I'm thinking its related to the low pressure buzzer.
Also, what tire pressures are you guys running? Most of mine were below 15psi so I pumped them all up to 30psi to start.
Find that leak. In a perfect world, you should still have air the next day.
You always want to stay on top of fixing any air leaks.

There might be a plug under the right side of the dash to connect an air hose to. The connector might be "tired".

A spray bottle with dish soap and water sprayed on to air lines work well if you can hear it - but not feel or see the leak.

banditt1979

Anyone ever purchased parts from realcustomtrucks.com? I ordered some brake parts 9 days ago and haven't received them and when I go to their website it just says processing. Called Saturday and the guy said he would call me back, he didn't and now not answering his phone.

DaneGer21

Anyone ever purchased parts from realcustomtrucks.com? I ordered some brake parts 9 days ago and haven't received them and when I go to their website it just says processing. Called Saturday and the guy said he would call me back, he didn't and now not answering his phone.
Yes, my order took FOREVER to get shipped, same thing, it sat “processing”. I think mine was close to 10 days, and then like 2-3 in shipping. And guess what, it’s in Ohio just like us!!!

It was my FIRST order with them; and also my LAST!

banditt1979

Yes, my order took FOREVER to get shipped, same thing, it sat “processing”. I think mine was close to 10 days, and then like 2-3 in shipping. And guess what, it’s in Ohio just like us!!!

I saw the 513 area code thats my area code. Cant be too far for me to pick up. Not having much luck with the brake parts. That seco company refuses to send me a return label for their old parts to return. I aint paying 25 bucks to ship back parts that they misrepresented. I found an air pack rebuild kit on fleabay supposed to deliver Thursday, we'll see......

kblazer87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I saw the 513 area code thats my area code. Cant be too far for me to pick up. Not having much luck with the brake parts. That seco company refuses to send me a return label for their old parts to return. I aint paying 25 bucks to ship back parts that they misrepresented. I found an air pack rebuild kit on fleabay supposed to deliver Thursday, we'll see......
I believe they are in Williamsburg, Oh.

banditt1979

Today I changed the oil and filters, not too hateful at all. Didn't spill any oil at the filters. Also found where I was leaking air under the dash. Its the hose connected to the transfer case switch.
transfer case air hose_LI.jpg
Its leaking between the two hex fittings at the point where I drew the circle. The hose seems to turn easily. Is this supposed to be a swivel connection? I didn't get a chance to try to tighten it. There is still something that pops off a few minutes after I shut down the engine, sounds like its under the hood, but this connection continues to leak.

banditt1979

Pulled out the air pack today, took all of 25 minutes. Nice easy work considering the age of the truck. I did find out that the engine was overhauled in 1989, there was a tag on the side of the block and the valvetrain looks clean. No idea how many miles were put on it afterwards. All of the flare fittings were wrapped in teflon tape, never have I seen that before. A LOT of brake fluid came out of the vent fitting (I think thats what this is circled)
20220316_185711_LI.jpg
I thought I saw fluid shooting out of the vent fitting at the top of the master cylinder when it was just barely tightened on but I thought it was coming out of the master cylinder. Guess we'll find out what broke when I get it apart. Rebuild kit came today so hopefully between now and camping Saturday night I can get it apart. Or Sunday. Hard to say

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Guess I should add that the fluid that came out was almost green tinted. Not really amber like old dot 5. Can anyone give me a ballpark brake fluid capacity for a complete flush or fill?
Seems like several of the guys have bought a gallon of fluid and had very little left after a replacement of the MC and a full system bleed

HDN

The air pop off sound that you hear after shutdown (usually some 5-15 mins after) is the air pressure regulator valve ("the air governor"). Normal and one of my favourite sounds the truck makes.
All these sounds my truck doesn't make - I feel like I'm missing out :p

@Gypsyman recently noticed an air system sound that may be attributed to air equalization between the storage tanks after shutdown, making a periodic hiss per @rustystud .

As far as I noticed my truck makes all these sounds while it's running:

• Compressor knock while engaged - alarmed my dad one time when he thought there was something knocking inside the engine, but my M35A3 isn't the only one to make this noise when the compressor is charging the system
  • Air dryer popping off air when compressor cuts out (M35A3s came with air dryers for the CTIS)
  • Quiet hiss when releasing brake pedal
  • Hiss when steering the truck (when equipped with air-assisted steering cylinder)
  • Short hiss when actuating front axle drive using the dashboard switch
When the truck is shut off and I'm draining the tanks I hear a vibrating sound coming from the air system when the tanks are nearly empty - kinda sounds like a vibrating low guitar string. The noise goes away when the tanks are completely empty.

Granted my truck has a newer Cat 3116 and some other air system components that the A2 didn't come with.

VBsurfer

I ordered a passenger side window about a week ago and nothing as of yet. I'll try to give them a call as i sent them an email and no response.

Gypsyman

Same here. 14 days and multiple unanswered emails. The day that I was going to call my CC company and dispute the charge I received a tracking number. Still no parts. First and last for me too.

Gypsyman

All these sounds my truck doesn't make - I feel like I'm missing out :p

@Gypsyman recently noticed an air system sound that may be attributed to air equalization between the storage tanks after shutdown, making a periodic hiss per @rustystud .
After further investigation my noise did end up being the check valve between the tanks.

Richard

banditt1979

Same here. 14 days and multiple unanswered emails. The day that I was going to call my CC company and dispute the charge I received a tracking number. Still no parts. First and last for me too.
Unacceptable.
I think I saw the guy that owns it on here somewhere. I'll have to do some digging and if I find his handle I'll tag him on this thread.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks