• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil seal mod. for 3053 input shaft

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Put me down for 2 regardless please, whenever you get properly healed up! Don't overdo it Garrett!!

brianp454

I was giving my truck an extra checkout yesterday as I've had some issues. One of them is I've had a small leak from the teardrop shaped plate on the back of the transmission and what seems like an engine rear seal or front of transmission leak (OMG please don’t let it be the engine rear seal). So, earlier this Summer I drained the transmission fluid, cleaned the grit out of the bottom of the case as best I could, added silicone sealer to the screws for the teardrop shaped plate, added a magnetic drain plug, and installed fresh oil. A week or so ago I used engine cleaner and pressure washed as best possible. Then I went for a short drive and pulled back in on a clean driveway. I still have a very slow leak from that teardrop shaped plate, so next time I will replace the seal or just RTV the thing. I also noticed a mix of clean and dirty oil from the open plug hole. So, I decided to pull the inspection plate on the bottom of the bellhousing. Jeepers Creepers! There’s a mess of old dirty oil in there. It looks like its leaked for a long time as some of the oil has that gritty gooiness to it. So much for a dry clutch… I also see a very clean drop of oil about to drip from the clutch thrust bearing or similar part. I looked in the TM and could not find a seal. Just now I poked around and found this thread and it has gone stale. With everything jeepsinker has had going on it seems to have been dropped. Looking at the thread about it seems he’s on the mend.

Jeepsinker

Happy to report that so far my test unit that I installed with my new transmission, overdrive, and LDS, is now just over 4,000 miles leak free. Sure is nice to have a bone dry bellhousing. I'll have to get back with my machinist soon and see what we can do about production.

I would like to offer these in both steel and alumium. I know the aluminum ones should be considerably cheaper because there will be much less machine time involved, and they should hold up fine since there is no real stress to speak of on it. The steel ones will cost more but it will provide peace of mind for the more picky customer.

skinnyR1

I might just buy one to put on the shelf for future use. I put a rebuilt trans in mine last year due to this same issue, so it might be worthwhile to have ready to go.

rustystud

I might just buy one to put on the shelf for future use. I put a rebuilt trans in mine last year due to this same issue, so it might be worthwhile to have ready to go.
I plan to have two rebuilt transmissions this next year. One for the truck now and a spare for later. Because "You never know" !

rustystud

I agree. The longer I have my truck, and the longer I am on this forum, the more I feel I need a backup part for everything.
I used to work as the main mechanic for a small fleet of trucks (40) . Since it was a privately owned company it needed all the trucks running to make money ( spraying pesticides and herbicides ). The trucks where all 3ton units with manual transmissions used to haul 600 gallon tanks and PTO driven spray pumps. So I had spare transmissions and differential pumpkins built up to be able to put in, in just a few hours notice. Then later I would rebuild the broken units. Ever since then I have tried to keep up a stock of parts for all my vehicles. Usually just belts, hoses, waterpumps, sparkplugs, caps and rotors that sort of thing. Now with the deuce I am trying to get a spare of everything since parts can be a pain to get at times, unless your willing to pay big for them.

brianp454

I’ve worked out how to get a seal into the existing OEM part without needing to make one from scratch. It took me quite a bit of time to sort out, but eventually I did! I’m thinking of starting to sell them the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] of next year. PM me if interested.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks