• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PNW-2009-First Annual Chehalis River Valley MV Convoy

AaronW

In the future we may do shirts for the convoy. I still wanted to give you all something for making the effort to make this a success.

I'll see Hammer @ exit 71 on I-5 at 0900. We will mini convoy up to Cabela's. anyone coming from the south is welcome to join us.

PM me if you need my address info for trip planning.

I'm looking forward to meeting you all!

Attachments

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sadly I will not be in attendance.:twisted:
I am just not up to the 5 hour drive, but the M813A1 is lookin sweet for sure.
Wish I had a trailer to pull her over to the West Side on.
Just no leg room.
One would be OK, but after three 5 hour drives, the legs of my 6'8" frame would be out of service.
Can't wait to see the pix.
Have fun,
Gotta get the 5 ton cab stretch in progress.

Attachments

srodocker

im definatly coming to the convoy at cabelas but not sure how long i'll stay with the convoy im sick and have been for over a week :\ and im goiing to be getting 55hrs this week and sat will be my day off. like wsu said earlier i'll be the zombie :) what time are people trying to get to cabelas i'll come early so i can just drool :)

AaronW

I will be there about 0945 with Hammer in tow, or probably the other way around. I suspect Mike(wsucougarx) may be there a bit earlier. The store opens at 0800 IIRC.

ABN173

Just changed the oil in the M1008, my wife has been on me to get that done. The trip motivated me to finally do it. lol I'll be packing tonight so we won't have so much to do in the morning. Look forward to seeing everyone tomorrow!

Dale

wsucougarx

A little over 12 hours and we're there gentlemen. Spent all day from 0800-0900 working on my truck to get her ready....I'm ready for bed....See you in the morning:wink:

AaronW

Just got back from meeting Hammer,Amphi, and Saxon(M715Zone) over at Amphi's. Had a great dinner. Thanks guys!

Hammer's 818 is awesome!!!!

Also just got done hooking up the 332 and checking everything out. Full tank of diesel, ready to roll at 0845!

Last edited:

wsucougarx

Gentlemen one last thing before I turn in for the night. I just can't get PFC Aaron Fairbairn out of my head. I have been constantly thinking about he and his family. As you know in my previous thread, 18JUL09 not only marks our convoy but also marks the public memorial of this heroic soldier. In honor of him I have made up a bunch of signs on 8.5x11 sheets of cardstock to be mounted to our driver door window or dashboard for the drive from Elma to Aberdeen or Lacey to Aberdeen. It simply reads "In Memory of PFC Aaron Fairbairn". We will be pulling into Aberdeen probably around the same time the public memorial is ending. The streets are predicted to be lined with several hundred people giving respect for him. Mike

OSO

Would like to be there ,but I'm in the process of a cab swap . My 1953 M328 Has a large rust issue. Picked up a cab ,started to drill out broken bolts on drivers door hinge points on cab . Got the mirrors off the M328 and hinge pins out for rebuild. Fenders loose, getting other things out of the way. Plumbing work has put a large dent in my time to work on this .
I live 17 miles east of I 5 at exit 208 SR 530 In the foothills of the Cascades.
I wish the best for this Event!!! Will have pic when this gets farther along. OSO;-);-)

wsucougarx

WOW!!!!!!! What a great turn out it was!! But first, I would like to thank AaronW and his wife Amber for making this happen. They were gracious to offer their home to us and filled our bellies. Thank you Aaron and Amber!!!!
Thank you to all the SS for their support for PFC Fairbairn and his family. Sometimes it may feel like we really didn't do anything, but believe me everyone is talking about it. You guys really did touch the heart of the community. Thank you.
I have a ton of pics in the camera and quite honestly it is midnight and I am going to bed. I'll try and get some pics on soon:wink:
One thing, we forgot to get a group shot. Oh well, next year definately. Also, since my wife ended up playing chase vehicle for the entire convoy, I think it would only be fitting to outfit her with a M1008 or M1009. The whole silver mini-van isn't cuttin it:)

Last edited:

Alex400

WOW!!!!!!! What a great turn out it was!! But first, I would like to thank AaronW and his wife Amber for making this happen. They were gracious to offer their home to us and filled our bellies. Thank you Aaron and Amber!!!!
Thank you to all the SS for their support for PFC Fairbairn and his family. Sometimes it may feel like we really didn't do anything, but believe me everyone is talking about it. You guys really did touch the heart of the community. Thank you.
I have a ton of pics in the camera and quite honestly it is midnight and I am going to bed. I'll try and get some pics on soon:wink:
Glad you made it home! IT was great turnout and an overall great time. a few slips along the way, but you know, what can you expect? I had a blast. Thanks Rob and Aaron for stirring up my deuce fever again! that was awesome. Can't wait for the pictures.

Alex

AaronW

Convoy report.

"Wow!" I just keep saying it. What a wonderful weekend so far. The convoy went great! Most are home safe, some are still crashed out in the back 40 as I write this.

We had a total of 11 m/v's and 2 civvy rigs make the complete trip. Only 2 mechanical issues the entire time, and both of those were overcome. Thanks Hammer! You were the "go to" guy in both repairs.

Our long distance awards go to Hammer and Hammerwife (11+ hours from northern cali), and odnorth from the frozen tundra of B.C. Canada (5+ hrs and Seattle/Tacoma traffic, not to mention a border crossing eh?). Consider these mighty drivers did all this on little sleep, just to turn around and start a 140+ mile convoy. Awesome!

Many thanks go to wsucougarx and his wife. All of this would not have happened without them. I'm sure the pics and vids? to follow will be great. There must be 300 pics and at least an hour of video to edit. Quite a job.

What a super group. The drive was long. Hot at times, cold at times (especially if you have the windshield down). Those in the back of the pack inhaled their fair share of exhaust! A few breakdowns. A few challenging repairs made roadside, in the boonies, on the fly. All of this plus more and not a single complaint or negative remark heard by me.

Convoy consisted of:

AaronW + wife...........................M35A2 w/M332 in tow
wsucougarx...............................M35A2(Forrest Gump)
ABN173 + family.........................M1008
USMC Deuce CPL + son..............M35A2
Hammer......................................M818(53"XZL's) w/M105
Hammerwife...............................M1009
5_Ton Tomatoe............................M35A2 (also brought out '53 gasser M62 wrecker)
5_Ton Tomatoewife + son............M1009
JOSH...........................................M35A2
heavymetal.................................M35A2
odnorth......................................M35A2 eh?

Alex 400.....................................civvy chase
wsucougarfamily........................civvy chase and media rig

Also thanks to those who showed up just to say "Hi" along the way.

Amphi + wife..............................M715(fire rig)
Saxon (M715zone)
srodocker
Tim
Bill

There might be more. Sorry if I forgot you. I'll add your name as soon as wsucougarx reminds me.

Last edited:

wsucougarx

No problem Rivired. Sorry you weren't able attend. There will definately be a next time. We had way too much fun not to do this again. It was just an awesome time. My face is still sore from grinning ear to ear:wink: It was one heck of site to see all 11 MV's lined up driving the road. Not sure what all those little towns thought when we rolled or rumbled through their towns (Great route Aaron)!!. I was definately proud to have been part of this event. Chalk me for more in the future. The best part was getting to meet all the fellow SS. Hammer and his wife were just awesome. As Aaron said they went above and beyond to help everyone out. After driving 11+ hours straight they stopped to help out fellow SS Josh with deuce troubles and got him back on the road. They then met up with us and drove the entire convoy only to back track to help out another fellow SS 5-ton tomatoe with deuce troubles and getting him back on the road. Simply just awesome!!! Ok, what guys....meet again next week?:p

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks