• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PNW-2012-Fourth Annual Chehalis River Valley M/V Convoy & Campout

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
That is my new baby. It is an Xm-161. It is an experimental vehicle designed to use the surplus M-151 parts. It was designed by S.D. Baker Co./Alley Cat Manufacturing in Stanton, TX. between 1992 and 1993. There are only around 60-70 of them made. After American Growler beat them out, most of them them were shipped to South America.

You can't find anything information-wise about them on line. I went to the Mutt Motorpool forum and asked. One guy forwarded my questions to the president of the Military Vehicle Preservation Association down in Arkansas. He told me all he could about them.

We didn't drive it in the parade or the convoy - it wasn't wanting to idle right and I sure didn't want to break down in the parade or the middle of the convoy and win the Hard Luck Award too! :D

It is sometimes called and Alley Cat, but more commonly called a Mutt-Vee.
You'll have to come see it next year.

Danielle
Thank you, one question, it is 6x6, if so how do thay drive the rears ???, as far as comming to the next rally, I like the idea of YOU bring it to the 12SSGAR, it would be a BIG hit, :driver:

usmc deuce cpl

Well where do i start? thamks Aaron for getting the house painted, Thanks Amber for not adding another chore to the list, thanks Ed for the route even though I still think you planned all those stop signs. Ha Ha.
Ok now to get serious. Thanks to all that had a part in planning and execution of this years Rally. As in the past it only got better. Definately looking forward to next year.

usmc deuce cpl

Well where do i start? thamks Aaron for getting the house painted, Thanks Amber for not adding another chore to the list, thanks Ed for the route even though I still think you planned all those stop signs. Ha Ha.
Ok now to get serious. Thanks to all that had a part in planning and execution of this years Rally. As in the past it only got better. Definately looking forward to next year.

REO 54

A big Thanks to Aaron,Amber and all who made this years rally possible!! [thumbzup]

Great T-shirts Dale. The kids are stoked!

I got some pics....will post when i get a moment. Pumped 3000 gallons of the Islands
"special" today.

Jeepn_girl

Thank you, one question, it is 6x6, if so how do thay drive the rears ???, as far as comming to the next rally, I like the idea of YOU bring it to the 12SSGAR, it would be a BIG hit, :driver:
It's a 6x6 just like a deuce with a pass through axle, except the transfer case only engages and disengages the front wheels. There is no high or low range. It's entirely M151a2 MUTT drive train & suspension.

Oh I didn't notice your all the way down in GA. If we were still in TX, I'd love to go. But then again.... If we were still in TX, I wouldn't have this gem..... :(

Danielle

Hammer

man the convoy was fun watching aaron drifiting around corners hahahha
next year we need comms....and not to have aaron wave us past lol!

sorry to the guys I didnt meet. I was running around and then had to uhm disassemble some tires...!!!:doghead:
Comms is something we have failed at every year so far. The little civy radios didn't work last year. And I didn't even bother this year (sorry Aaron .... :( )

As for the Tires, you were a real source of humor for this year!

Varyag

Message from Varyag's wife:

Thanks Aaron and Amber for hosting this again. We had a great time. Our 800+ mile convoy was quite an adventure and our son can't wait to do it again despite tempuratures of about 103 F on HWY 24 on our drive home. I added some photos that I took starting in Tricities with Tony.

See you next year!

Crystal

Attachments

hwcurtice

Comms is something we have failed at every year so far. The little civy radios didn't work last year. And I didn't even bother this year (sorry Aaron .... :( )

As for the Tires, you were a real source of humor for this year!

I thought Scott was THE source of humor? Tires or otherwise....

Looks like everyone had fun. But I could only see two red trucks. Where are the others?

AaronW

Message from Varyag's wife:

Thanks Aaron and Amber for hosting this again. We had a great time. Our 800+ mile convoy was quite an adventure and our son can't wait to do it again despite tempuratures of about 103 F on HWY 24 on our drive home. I added some photos that I took starting in Tricities with Tony.

See you next year!

Crystal
Thanks Crystal! Pic #7 is AWESOME! I love it.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just read this entire thread, every word. Good read. Looks like a fun time was had by all....[thumbzup]

I just have 1 question...Did someone save me a piece of cake..?:shock:

Attachments

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chehalis tune up tips

Thanks to all those who gave me info on perking up the multi fuel. I had installed a pyro/boost gage so I was ready to try and get a little more power from the Grizz. I could not get over 900 degrees at any time the way it was set up. With some guidance from folks at Napavine, I turned it up 8 flats, then another 4. I have about 3500 lb. of stuff in the bed, so it has some load. Today I ran across Hwy 18 (Tiger Summit) and I-90 to Spokane. I had a high temp of 1150 F. on an extended steep pull with a boost of about 9.5 psig. That is what I was looking for. I was able to drive the whole route with any downshifting, I went the whole way in 5th (OD). I did slow down about 10+ MPH on a couple of the steep hills, but i can live with that. The engine builds RPM faster and is just much more responsive. What surprised me is that i still got 10 MPG, which is what I got before I turned the fuel up. Anyhow, thanks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks