• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rhino 5/4 RV

Rhino 5/4

Ordered all my rebuild parts for the DANA 60 swap, supposed to be here next week. Hopefully get it installed before we go to MV rally in College Station TX on the 25th. Making mounting bracket for my new CB and old intercom. Also got a switch bank for the back cabin. 20220311_202850.jpg20220311_202838.jpg20220311_211210.jpg

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you bought your antenna yet ? If not these are awful good on metal trucks like yours and if you get in limbs at worst just knock it over and not tear up something ! Just set your swr when you get it and your good to go IMG_2021.JPG

dmetalmiki

Well, A very welcome to the site, The hobby >what<' You already seem well engaged in, The friendships and, ( even more ), Events to come.

OH!..And a very ( Suitably ' Ugly ( Gorgeous, mebb'e aggressive )), Looking truck.

Sorry, I just Coudn't..resist...Such a neat.. And..Happy camper truck.

Attachments

Rhino 5/4

Have you bought your antenna yet ? If not these are awful good on metal trucks like yours and if you get in limbs at worst just knock it over and not tear up something ! Just set your swr when you get it and your good to go View attachment 861388
No I haven't yet. I was actually looking at utub last night trying to get info. I have a mount on the back right with an antenna but it's too short and don't think a 102" will work that low because of the metal box. I saw an LMTV at the local guard and it was mounted using same bracket but up at the top corner and bent over and hooked for not in use. 20220117_171748.jpg

Rhino 5/4

No I haven't yet. I was actually looking at utub last night trying to get info. I have a mount on the back right with an antenna but it's too short and don't think a 102" will work that low because of the metal box. I saw an LMTV at the local guard and it was mounted using same bracket but up at the top corner and bent over and hooked for not in use. View attachment 861406
Also looking at putting a HAM in and getting a license and will need an antenna for as well.

Rhino 5/4

Well, A very welcome to the site, The hobby >what<' You already seem well engaged in, The friendships and, ( even more ), Events to come.

OH!..And a very ( Suitably ' Ugly ( Gorgeous, mebb'e aggressive )), Looking truck.

Sorry, I just Coudn't..resist...Such a neat.. And..Happy camper truck.
Thank you and yessir, more adventures to come.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No I haven't yet. I was actually looking at utub last night trying to get info. I have a mount on the back right with an antenna but it's too short and don't think a 102" will work that low because of the metal box. I saw an LMTV at the local guard and it was mounted using same bracket but up at the top corner and bent over and hooked for not in use. View attachment 861406
That opens up a new can of worms ! There are lots of directions to go in and and do it with one radio look at the RANGER RCI 63FFD4 if you really want to be herd its a 10 meter radio that swings about 400 watts. I bought a earlier version back in 14 a 63ffc4 and running a HUSTLER top load and to my amazement when skip is running talk from Denver to Norfolk in a mobil going down the road and Albuquerque to Miami ! What i like about them everything built in one radio and the Hustler antenna has a huge band with so you put a side mount antenna on the side of the body to keep the load above the top of your truck. It will use your roof for a ground plane and put it on a spring load mount so limbs will not brake the mount . Everybody i use to work with ran this set up so if 6 or 8 of us got 20 30 miles apart at night going down the road and still talk to one another down on quite channels 7 days a week year after year and no failures or repairs you just need to take the antenna down a couple times a year to clean any corrosion from winter use in the salt .

Rhino 5/4

Coming along. Up late last night. Spartan locker, inner axles with new ujoints and spindle housings in place. After breaking my 7/8 wrench with the cheater pipe, I decided the existing king pins were in perfect shape and had no wear:LOL: but new bushings, bearings, seals and high steer.20220317_230727.jpg20220317_230817.jpg

Rhino 5/4

Re torqued everything, installed lonk out hubs, lengthened drag link, gear oil and test drive. I think we did good. 70mph no issues, needs new shocks and steering stabilizer and put on rack to check alignment but I think it's really close. My son was a life saver by helping out. 20220320_181104.jpg20220320_180528.jpg20220320_180501.jpg20220320_180448.jpg20220320_180435.jpg

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks