• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Run Away

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just covering the intake (with my dented mushroom)will not stall my Deuce....there is a 1" hole in the back of the filter can that needs to be plugged also. Even with that plugged it just slows it down. But it buys me time. I have run the drill on mine.
If the 1" hole is plugged and you cover the intake it WILL shut it down at WOT.

Goose2448

That sounds like a HOLY **** WHAT THE **** JUST HAPPENED moment. Ya freez up, cant think, and it all happens so quick. Sorry about your truck. Hope nothing else got damaged. Take a day to relax and figure it all out. At least you will have a good story to tell.

With all of these run away's as of late, I am really starting to get worried. Got to get that CO2 Extinguisher in my truck.

I am going ahead and gonna guess that the seal in the turbo had dried out and let oil pass through causing the run away.

engineman2

^ Yes CO2 extinguishers are the way to go. They are pretty expensive :???:, but still much less than an engine. Powder doesn't get everywhere and they stop runaway's in their tracks. I have one in my M1008 and we keep one in each turbocharged machine on the farm.

JCKnife

I think we can be pretty sure this is an April Fools thread. If your deuce is running away, are you going to be inside posting on SS?

goldneagle

I think we can be pretty sure this is an April Fools thread. If your deuce is running away, are you going to be inside posting on SS?
If you thought your baby daughter ingested some chemicals would you call your mother in another state or dial 911? Step-daughter chose the first. Luckily for her the baby did not suffer any injury due to her stupidity! I happened to answer the phone and told her to get off the phone and call 911! (i may have used a few choice words that I will not repeat in this thread.)

plym49

Sorting everything out guys - will have more info soon. Please bear with me and thank you for all the kind suggestions and offers of help.

panshark

Would you be able to cut the fuel line and the 24 volt line to stop the fuel pump
better to buy a new hose than a engine.
Willy
p/s is there a other fuel pump I was thinking off a run away truck how to stop that.
I think the best would have been to unplug the fuel pump and then take off the discharge line. That way you have got some cover behind the cab.

Sorry for your loss.

Make you think how fast could you kill a deuce. Only two options fuel or air.
Willy-Dueces have an electric and mechanical pump. Turning off the 24V electric to my truck during operation doesn't affect the motor's ability to recieve fuel.

As was said previously, runaways are often caused by "alternative" fuel sources:grin: specifically the motor oil that you've intended to lubricate and cool the engine. Turbo chargers are a common culprit. One thing that the O.P. didn't do, but possibly had the time to try, is to nose the truck (in a low gear) into a large, durable object, such as a tree or the side of a dodge sedan, and let out on the clutch. If it doesn't stall it out, it's definitely going to drop the RPM's of the engine. Try a tree with deep roots--don't line it up against a christmas tree. Especially if that tree is on a christmas tree farm, unless the video camera is rolling. I think I would pay to see that. I wouldn't try a dodge caliper, but I would definitely try to stall my truck against a Caravan. Heck, I think I'd try to stall it against a Caravan even if it didn't have a runaway engine.

Hottrodd789

All jokes aside what is the best way I'm thinking a fire extinguisher what kind do I use good info as I just rebuild my turbo last night haven't run it yet

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Ignition requires fuel and air......cut off either one and the engine will die.......In the case of my 250 Cummins that tried to commit suicide the crankcase had filled up with diesel and there was no cutting off the fuel........I managed to get a large towel and stuff it in the air intake which killed it.....but not before major internal damage had occurred.

Uness you have the means to cut off air immediatly at hand the chances of the engine incurring major damage or going high order are high.......sometimes all you can do is watch the show from a safe distance.:shock:

Danger Ranger

Sorting everything out guys - will have more info soon. Please bear with me and thank you for all the kind suggestions and offers of help.
Well, I am slightly confused still....hope Im not alone...

The deuce really did go on a runaway, and the engine blew up??? It wasn't a joke at all in any way? If so, then it unfortunately occured on april fools day?

I am sorry for your loss then, and yet wonder why get on SS...too late now. Good luck on your project.

willy

Now let me ask a possible question
I have a A3 with Cat diesel if this engine does not stop when I turn off the switch I do the following::shock:
take off the air intake and filter spray a fire extingwisher by spraying the contents in to this air intake.
Or can I take my water hose and spray water in it will that also stop my engine
I am new at this and need to ask question.:|
I have 2 A2 and 1 A3 but never had a runaway But I will I think.
Willy:oops:

Kohburn

do NOT spray water into the intake, if it stops the engine it will stop it permanently. water doesn't compress and you risk major damage.

either block the air flow with something solid or spray CO2 into the intake. if it is going slowly and you have time you can try pulling off the charge pipe between the turbo and the engine intake. that alone may stop it, if not then you can plug the engine intake with a block of wood, etc.

Last edited:

Kaiserjeeps

Two of the most fun things you can do with a duece. No brakes and a runaway engine. Well unless you count the third, putting a duece on its side...:mrgreen:

I see a few options here. The object is to kill the engine as fast as possible right? Since the fuel is coming from a secondary source that seems out.
First cap the 1 inch port on the air cleaner. Then make the mushroom a quick removal. You could put a wingnut clamp on it. Personally from the sounds of previous posts I would not want to even open the hood for this. The next is make the mushroom attach like a auto light bulb. Install two 1/4 x 28 bolts 180 from each other in the air cleaner snout. Cover them with a short piece of alum, steel or brass tubing. Put a nylock on the end of the bolt to make two smooth posts. Carefully cut a twist and pull notch just like in a 1156 light socket. So the mushroom will push and twist to engage the posts. I'd probably put a tiny vynil coated cable on it to keep it with the truck just in case.:)
It would need to be kept from turning and coming off. Weld two small bumps on the mushroom on each side of the new groove you cut. Then before you put on the nylock nut on put a washer, heavy spring and another washer to spring load it. The spring loaded washer will have to travel over the weld bumps before allowing the mushroom to come off. Get a runaway, jump out twist and pull, drop the skirt and cover the air cleaner port and hope it works.

The other is a well fitted extra large washer to sleeve over the snout of the mushroom. One that is big enough to seal the mushroom. Retain it up against the skirt some how and when a runaway happens, break the tyewraps or what ever and let the washer slam shut. Sealing the ID might be an issue.

Anybody care to test these theories for me?:mrgreen:

I dunno, Thats what I can think of so far. There is a Co2 extinguisher on CL here...:)

At least my brakes work.:mrgreen:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks