• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Run Away

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Two of the most fun things you can do with a duece. No brakes and a runaway engine. Well unless you count the third, putting a duece on its side...:mrgreen:

I see a few options here. The object is to kill the engine as fast as possible right? Since the fuel is coming from a secondary source that seems out.
First cap the 1 inch port on the air cleaner. Then make the mushroom a quick removal. You could put a wingnut clamp on it. Personally from the sounds of previous posts I would not want to even open the hood for this. The next is make the mushroom attach like a auto light bulb. Install two 1/4 x 28 bolts 180 from each other in the air cleaner snout. Cover them with a short piece of alum, steel or brass tubing. Put a nylock on the end of the bolt to make two smooth posts. Carefully cut a twist and pull notch just like in a 1156 light socket. So the mushroom will push and twist to engage the posts. I'd probably put a tiny vynil coated cable on it to keep it with the truck just in case.:)
It would need to be kept from turning and coming off. Weld two small bumps on the mushroom on each side of the new groove you cut. Then before you put on the nylock nut on put a washer, heavy spring and another washer to spring load it. The spring loaded washer will have to travel over the weld bumps before allowing the mushroom to come off. Get a runaway, jump out twist and pull, drop the skirt and cover the air cleaner port and hope it works.

The other is a well fitted extra large washer to sleeve over the snout of the mushroom. One that is big enough to seal the mushroom. Retain it up against the skirt some how and when a runaway happens, break the tyewraps or what ever and let the washer slam shut. Sealing the ID might be an issue.

Anybody care to test these theories for me?:mrgreen:

I dunno, Thats what I can think of so far. There is a Co2 extinguisher on CL here...:)

At least my brakes work.:mrgreen:
Remember the K.I.S.S. school of thought.....
Just get a block of wood with which to STOP the airflow through the inlet tube of the air cleaner can :doh:.....aua.....:deadhorse:It's QUICK, It's EASY, It's CHEAP, It WORKS, and It even STORES CONVENIENTLY under the seat.

Practice on a non-runaway engine at different RPMs. :shock: You'll stall it every time.

Kaiserjeeps

Keeping it simple is great. But I can't get my mushroom off by hand and finding my little wrench plus opening the hood with a WOT engine does not sound like fun. Something quick and effective is the goal. I enjoy fabrication and a little work beforehand does not bother me. Do you just put the mushroom on sort of tight? And hope it does not fall off with vibration. It would need to be removed quickly. I don't want to lose mine so I keep it pretty tight. I suppose you could duct tape a wrench on top of your air cleaner. It seems the quicker you shut it down the smaller the bill in the end.

Edit: More specifically, what are you doing to keep your mushroom from coming off? Or do you keep it loose enough for no tools?

Last edited:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine is loose enough I can pull it off without a wrench. I haven't lost it in over 6,000 miles.

plym49

Things have been crazy since this happened, so thanks for bearing with me.

It turns out that there was a video. My neighbor caught the action on his cell phone.

He has been out of town, so it took a while to find out there indeed was a video, and then longer for me to get a copy. He finally uploaded it onto YouTube.

I will post it as soon as I can find out how.

I must tell you, it was very upsetting seeing this replay and the upsetment that caused was an additional delay in getting this posted.

My poor truck.

plym49

Dam, we have been had. :not worthy:
LOL, it was this thread that ran away. It started when I noticed it was 1 minute 'til midnight and I had completely forgotten about April Fool's day. This theme seemed obvious since there had been a lot of chatter about runaways. Anyway, once started, I asked my son if he could cobble a video together from some footage he had on hand - quick and dirty. Well, that took a few days as his #1 responsibility is to get good grades and to stay atop his homework. In the interim just went with the flow.

So, officially, APRIL FOOL'S!!!

And, again, a heartfelt thanks to all of you who were ready to pitch in with spare engines and all manner of help. You guys are the best.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dam, we have been had. :not worthy:
Speak for yourself!! :-D Actually, it did make me think about finding a intake shutoff from an old firetruck. Lots of them used to have them, you didn't want to pull the cable to just shut it off when you were parking the truck because you had to reset it manually.

WBrun334

Good joke. But it did get us thinking and that's good. :jumpin: May save an engine.

The real thing on a F250 was something I never want to experience again. The sound and the huge volume of black smoke is hard to describe. Turning the key to off did nothing and the engine was sucking engine oil (Does that make it a multi-fuel Ford?. Stood on the brake and put the automatic transmission in low. One big WHAM later it stopped. One poster said a failed seal in the turbo will cause this. I always wondered. If it had been a standard transmission the engine would have probably blown apart.

Bad_Carp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, so now that the joke has been revealed, please tell me you do have a fire extinguisher in/on your truck. Cause not having one would not be funny.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks