• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Seems like this is turning into a build thread.

CARC686

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got a tub of spare Rotella stashed away that'll do it. In the meantime, share a touch of Jimmi with me. Helps me worry less about whatever I've probably screwed up.

CARC686

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Haven't worked on the truck much lately. Just driving. Developed a front end clunk when I shift into reverse that rapidly got worse and now it's clunking when I barely touch the brakes, so shifting load in either direction is causing it. It's also developing a slight front end creak/groan under dynamic load ie simultaneous stopping/turning/damping transitions. Pretty sure I'm getting a very mild steering wobble when the front left suspension is under sustained cornering load. This all developed pretty quickly over a few days. Thought maybe a bolt fell out of the caliper, but it's properly assembled. Lug nuts are tight. Bearing spins freely. Play is within spec. Tie rods are fine. Springs, hangers, mounts, and shocks are good. I was not able to shift the ball joints by yanking on the top and bottom of the tire by hand, but I'm leaning toward that being the culprit unless anybody has a better, more informed idea.

cucvrus

I am suspect of an outer axle U joint that is seized and causing the issues you explained. Or it gets harder from afar to diagnose as I recall you were working on springs and bushings. Is the center pin and axle U bolts tight to torque. Are the rear drive shaft U joints good? Some look good but hide internal wear. Get the back up and the drive shaft unloaded and check them. Are the L/O both disengaged. Many things here to check. Good Luck.

CARC686

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I suspected the u-bolts at first. I reused the originals and have checked the torque on them several times and they haven't loosened up. Maybe I'll go to replace them now and find the center pin broken off. I understand that can happen. The hubs are unlocked, so I didn't expect the outer u-joints to be doing anything, but I'm often wrong. Once my back quits bothering me, I'll get the rear pumpkin up in the air and see if I can find any slop in the propeller shaft.

CARC686

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great news! Today I learned why I couldn't find anything wrong with the front end when the back wheel fell off! I always heard stories about wheels falling off, but I had never seen it happen in my life until today. Somebody must've loosened the lugs for me when I wasn't looking. On the bright side, I'll finally have new rear brakes, since the old ones are scattered down a few hundred feet of road.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Nothing like loosing a wheel. Especially a rear. Many moons ago going down Interstate 85... Left rear wheel pulled out and passed me going 55. Then I spotted a tractor barreling down the highway in the passing lane. That truck looked like a caterpillar climbing over the tire... Wow!

He kept on going... Like nothing ever happened...

CARC686

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That whole ordeal turned out to be not much of a problem at all. I've always dreaded working on drum brakes because they're basically Rube Goldberg machines that account for half the springs in a vehicle and like to throw pieces across the yard during assembly, never to be seen again. All the same, it only took me about an hour to R&R all six lug studs and replace the shoes and hardware kit on one corner. Stopping power is noticeably improved. I expected no change whatsoever in braking, but that one drum's worth of new ACDelco shoes stops so much better than the other side that the truck doesn't stop straight. I'll do the other corner ASAP and enjoy the improvement. If you're like me and saw that the 40 year old shoe liners were plenty thick and left them alone, go ahead and replace them. You won't regret it.

ACDelco 17473R

CARC686

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The OE lug holes were wallered out enough that the wheel was twisting on the hub. I'm just glad it made a bunch of noise instead of quietly snapping the new studs off one by one. Got a rally sport on there with a brand new tire for now. It'll be the spare later. I'm giving the replacement wheel's paint a few days to bake in the sun before mounting a tire on it and then it'll be sorted. Guess I can R&R the front u-bolts in the meantime. I've got 1" over stock length replacements to provide a more comfortable amount of threads to go with the extra leaf in the 1900 pound springs.