• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sending my Deuce to Organizational Maintenance Unit (a.k.a. Jeepsinker)

m715mike

On the way home from an event last November, the engine in my truck developed a loud knock. I was roughly 20 miles from home when the knock became noticeable while I was driving and wearing hearing protection. The truck made it home that night and has been sidelined until now. My plan was to get through the holidays and a busy period at work and then get my truck to Jeepsinker for repairs. The truck left this afternoon and is in route as I type.

Jeepsinker's initial guess (which was just based on a couple phone conversations) is a bad rod bearing. I sent new rod bearings and rod bolts with the truck in case I'm that lucky and the damage is limited to a bad bearing. Planning for a worst case scenario, I also sent a rebuilt LDT 465 engine in a shipping container that I picked-up from GovLiquidation in January.

"Plan A" is to fix the existing engine if repairs can be done for a reasonable price. "Plan B" is an engine swap. I guess it is good to have options.

Here are a couple pictures I took last night before the truck left home:
Pre Repair 1.jpgPre Repair 2.jpg

These pictures show how the engine and shipping container were loaded back in January:
New Engine 1.jpgNew engine 2.jpg

m715mike

The Load Out

As mentioned in Post #1, my Deuce left Montgomery, Texas this afternoon headed for Jeepsiner in DeRidder, Louisiana. Transportation was arranged by Rounders Logistics (a SteelSoldiers Vendor). Loading the Deuce was an uneventful but wet experience.

The truck driver was schedule to arrive at noon. He got to the storage facility where I keep the Deuce at 11:59am. He had the right equipment, seemed experienced and was focused on safety.

It just so happened that the load out date coincided with a big rain storm. It would pour heavily, let up for a little bit and then repeat. We managed to get the truck loaded between down pours. Even with ponchos, we were both wet by the time the truck was loaded.

Load out 1.jpgLoad out 2.jpgLoad out 5.jpgLoad out 6.jpgLoad out 3.jpgLoad out 7.jpg

Jeepsinker

Well, my first impression upon pulling it off of the trailer yesterday, is that the turbo is probably shot. It sure sounded like it. If I can wade through the mud and get it checked today I'll update.

m715mike

Well, my first impression upon pulling it off of the trailer yesterday, is that the turbo is probably shot. It sure sounded like it. If I can wade through the mud and get it checked today I'll update.

l knew I should have sent a pair of waders with the truck....

That could make sense about the turbo. I believe my truck was underpowered (yeah, I know all Deuces are underpowered). Jeff (member TAMU86) has a truck very similar to mine. Last time I followed him to an event I had a hard time keeping up with his truck. I could tell there was a difference in power between the two trucks.

Jeepsinker

Well, the turbo does have some shaft play, but not an abnormal amount. I guess what I was hearing was a bad bearing on the low side of the transfer case, being as you had it in low. I put it in high and no more noise. I've warmed it up and driven it about 6 miles total and haven't been able to make it knock yet. I'll drive it to town and back tomorrow to really get it hot and see if it starts knocking. I gotta get it to knock if I'm going to find the problem.
I also adjusted the idle and tightened the compressor belt, which was super loose and flopping around badly.

You ever notice that it won't hold a consistent idle?

Jeepsinker

Well, I just completed a 50 mile round trip to town and back @2400-2600 rpm, and still no knock present...
I'm starting to wonder if you didn't just have some bad fuel or some water getting to the injectors. I can keep driving it, but it should have started knocking by now if it was going to. Usually something like that doesn't just fix itself.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I just completed a 50 mile round trip to town and back @2400-2600 rpm, and still no knock present...
I'm starting to wonder if you didn't just have some bad fuel or some water getting to the injectors. I can keep driving it, but it should have started knocking by now if it was going to. Usually something like that doesn't just fix itself.
Wish I'd sent the Goat over to you. Might have saved me a new engine :)

Mike - what's the plan for Mullins? I was going to let you drive the Goat but you can't have it all weekend.

dmetalmiki

Your truck was, fortunately placed in the hands (and care) of a an honest trouble shooter. And should soon be home with you again albeit with some necessary (hint, (preventative)) Maintenance carried out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks