• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The next Project an ASMH

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, they were about $750. A kit that includes rotor, cam ring, vanes and o-rings. Craig called today and the parts are there. Ordered them Monday, came from Mi.

We also found a 3/4 wire rope end for the rear winch. Came out of Canada, apx $75 shipped. Got a notice that that is in customes posession as of Wednesday. Maybe be here by Monday.

@BLK HMMWV , whatta ya gonna do Tuesday for a couple of hours in the AM? Supposed to be hot too.

Tomorrow, off to the white whale between 0700-0730.

El Jeffe is doing a tri tip. dunno if I will stay, trying to re seal the trailer ends before vaca.

BLK HMMWV

You truly are Captain Ahab.
I white whale and a green whale!!!
I'm supposed to go to Camarillo one day next week, was going to go Tuesday but I guess I can shuffle things around.
You're not going to make me walk the plank or swab the deck are you.
I hope you stay for some tri-tip I brought it out earlier in the week for us all.
Looks like I might be in charge of cooking it in the Traeger while you guys are getting all that whale blubber on yourselves.
Gives me a good excuse to monitor it on my phone app. too!
See you tomorrow.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I forgot pictures. Swabi? Thought it was Monkey?

Yes, the pump parts are perfect! The plan, if it isn't hot as the surface of the sun, is to slam it together Tuesday. Craig has opted to install all new fluid, so he should be ordering and picking it up before then. We have also decided to put a magnet in the tank to try and get what is left of the failed parts out of the system. I did install a screen filter after I cleaned the tank.

We were also able to find a cable end for the 3/4 rear winch cable. It got to the compound Monday. There was a small issue with that, the wedge was/is for a 6 strand cable, we have a 7. The wedge is brass or bronze, so, I just put it in the vice and straightened the old one out and will try using it. There are part numbers on it so I will record them and try to find a new one if I can't get it to work.

I still need to re fill the power divider, I drained it thinking there was some sort of failure in there, but when I saw no chunks come out the hole, I stopped, regrouped and then found the linkages all out of whack, finish installing the de-clutching linkage for the rear operators station and hook up the roto pack and sort out the air leak at the de-clutching air valve/lines so that it can be used.

BLK HMMWV

We still up for trying to harpoon your O.D. 🐋 tomorrow ?
I know you want this off your list.
I still have a red whale that needs your attention but I know for a retired mechanic you have a very busy schedule especially since you sprouted antlers recently .
Let's knock this sucker out tomorrow.
Hopefully I can make first mate if we can land your green 🐋 tomorrow.
Swabi.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Found a clear copy of the TM and did a mess of reading. Had to stop cause cause my head hurt. I "Love" military TMs!

Way too much blah, blah then move to "this" section. And, it is PDF, not a fan. Rather have a paper copy.

But, yes, getting it sorted out.

You gonna need a spider?

BLK HMMWV

I'm not sure probably and a Cat. but hey .
Back to the wrecker.
I got to start calling in to see if I got jury duty next week starting Sunday night.
If I don't have to go in on Tuesday, are you going to be ready to finally harpoon this sucker cause I'm about to abandon ship before the captain (that be you).
I'm not going to spill the beans on your pocket parts left on the bench if you promote me to first mate. Just saying!!!!!
Swabi

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a Dr apt on Tuesday, so my plan was Wed. I need to communicate that tidbit to Craig.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, went in yesterday so I could make some things as to make today a "not waste of time". Good thing I did. Had some issues with the screen filter I installed a bit ago. Seems the way I secured things was a no go. Had to come up with another mounting set up that required re thinking things as well as a part. Enter McMaster-Carr. Those guys are great Parks got it to the compound at 3:00 yesterday afternoon.

This morning got in made up my mounting device, made a tether because I wanted to put a magnet in the tank to try and collect all the other pieces of metal that are still in the system. Used a magnet off of one of the stainless steel parts cups that was just laying around and used 1/16-in cable and tethered that to one of the mounting bolts for the filler. Worked out well.

Installed 30 gallons of new hydraulic oil with the help of my RH man, adjusted the linkage, turns out that was only off by one quarter inch, when the lever in the wrecker bed was engaged the jam nut on the clevis was loose and not allowing the shaft to go into the engaged position. Well that was easy!

The next part frustrating. Thankfully I had a helper, my swabi, monkey boy, Captain cordite. He kept me calm, did some operation of the levers while I did some fiddling. Eventually after we were both ready to walk away we heard the tone change in the engine operation and the power divider. All of a sudden things started working!

There must have been some kind of air trapped somewhere but it's supposed to be self- bleeding and it is a positive displacement pump. Anywho put the crane body through its paces extended the boom, raise the Boom, turned it left and right and finally left it extended so the rest of the boom can be painted.

We also were able to get the new cable and on the rear winch. That cable is kind of jacked up but I don't think it's ever going to used so I'm not worried about it. The cable end went on nicely after some trimming, the new end is for 3/4 rope, but the wedge was for 6 strand. The truck has 7 strand so I needed to do a bit of repairing to the old wedge, we're just going to paint that and call it good but I am sure it is strong as it was. Funny thing, when we were unwinding the winch so we could get the cable to a vice center pulley on the level wind stopped turning. I know I had greased that up nicely and it moved easily, but it just stopped turning. Found out later that the Nat'l guard strikes again! One 3/8 bolt is too long in the bracket for the pulley. when the pulley turned, the grease zerk hits the bolt!

The Holley carburetor on the engine is junk, smokes black, blubbers, hard starting after shutting off. I do have another carburetor and kit that will be rebuilt and installed.

I still need to do the wiring for the lights on the bed, but that's easy.

The fluid coming back into the tank was very aerated so we'll let that sit and then see what happens after the air goes away. But very happy because now I don't have to worry about every time I go in there working on the hydraulic system!

Notice the monkey in the crane operator seat!

I think he has been promoted to Swabbi, 1st class. @BLK HMMWV , thank you for all of your help! I am happy you got to operate things and see it work after all of your hard, dirty work, Love you man! Is it desert time yet? Ron&Jo, Brock, Steve?
20240821_101435.jpg20240821_101447.jpg20240821_111923.jpg20240821_111940.jpg20240821_111950.jpg

Last edited:

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another update on the M62. With the heat, we took a break for a few weeks. Went back last week and fired it, went to use the crane and nothing worked. No legible data plates on the pig, so every time it is go to the -10 and look up how to operate it. Well after an hour of $@&*"n around, reading the TM I FINALLY figured it out.

Words have meaning.

I obviously missed it, not once, twice, thrice, four, but 5 times. The lever in the bed needs to be pulled toward the FRONT of the truck!

After that, put the crane thru it's paces, boom up and down, crowd in and out, swing left and right and the hoist a little cause no air in there. Added another 5 gallons and a bit more just because of how the strainer is installed. It puts the minimum level apx 1 inch higher than the top of the bung in the tank.

I made a 1/4 inch stencil with operation instructions and stenciled them on the inside drivers door for future reference.

I am not a fan of using a wrench each time to check the oil level, so I drilled the cap and installed a roll pin through the hole to make a "T" handle, MUCH better!

After operating things, we noticed oil spray on the pax side inner, outer fender, firewall and door. There is an oil leak coming out of the front of the damper. It isn't from the seal, but from the center of the damper. Looked in the -10 and got the pub number for the engine, went to the library and lo and behold, we had it! Almost new condition too. I will scan it to PDF and put it in with the rest of the M39 series manuals.

The radiator needs removing. I believe that the leak is just oil wicking out thru the woodruff key slots in the adapter for the damper.

On a Cummins 855, this can happen if the L seal isn't installed in the accessory drive. The book doesn't show one or instruct one to install something, but I am positive sealing the keyway will stop the leak. Another project for another day. Gone this far, right?

Went back in yesterday and found the boom all the way down. I had left it fully up so I could fish the power wire for the lights thru the stem. Fired the pig, engaged things as needed, the right way, first try, and put the boom back up.

Got the wire fed up thru the stem, waiting on the seal for the center shaft before putting the cap on the stem for the electrics.

I decided to make some data plates since there are none in the bed to indicate which lever is for what and where they need to be moved.
Found a small sheet of aluminum, laid out the tags, cut them, popped some holes in them, sanded, painted them and made a "winch" and "crane" stencil. Made a mounting block for them so they aren't on the floor, and mounted everything to the truck.

Work left to do for the wrecker bed, finish hooking up the de-clutching lever at the trans cross shaft, it is 1/2 way installed, but I thought with the position the lever is in on the shaft, the lever would hit the bellhousing when the clutch was depressed in the cab, but it doesn't, so I need to finish installing the levers and hook them to the rotopack. Remove the throttle cable and get it freed up so that once the truck is started, all of the operation can be done from the bed. Then that part is done.

Work was started on this last September. It has been a long, sorta difficult process. Partly because the prior owner had people working on it that were very much unqualified and pretty much botched up anything and mostly everything they touched, and partly due to my physical health. There is a light at the end of the tunnel now. I wish we could find some data plates for this so it is plain to see what everything is on the dash.

Stupid Microsoft updates. Pictures are downloaded as JPEG but are converted to JFIF. Gotta fix it again, then I will put some pics up.

DP.jpgdp1.jpgdp2.jpgdp3.jpgdp4.jpgdp5.jpg

Last edited: