• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

tim292stro's M1009 (formerly math1960's)

tim292stro

Notes from first day of daily-driving. Shifts well after running for a while, I'm going to replace all of the vacuum lines to start with. Low/no smoke when running, a little puff off the line, not much to complain about. Looks like I need a little more attention on the right (passenger) side grounds, right directional turn signal will not flash with headlights, left works fine. Also need to get that turn signal flasher replaced, the LED compatible flasher I bought did not come with the pin swapper adapter, so it doesn't flash (flasher derives power from the load pin, not the supply pin - cheap flasher design...).

Hit a bump at 60MPH and got the beginnings of death wobble (managed easily so it's not bad, just slowed down 5MPH and it went away until the next bump at 60), but I haven't paid any attention to the steering and suspension other than basic safety checks. That'll come later. Biggest operational gripe was the mirrors. Driver's side has a loose spot in the left right adjustment, so I get the mirror adjusted and then close the door, and crud, have to adjust it again. Right side mirror is flat glass (so it's like using a laser to illuminate a baseball field - not very useful), I ordered a convex mirror glass replacement for that side. I also bought a center windshield rearview mirror - I really missed that in traffic... That was it for gripes!! :naner:

The shifter indicator is non-functional, hadn't noticed that until Friday morning. I have yet to do do any dash work so I'll add that to my list, the speedo also bounces over 40MPH so I'll need to see if the ring magnet is running true, or if is a bind in the cable.

Still no leaks, didn't overheat, single 12V alternator took the loads well and charged.

tim292stro

Just got the rearview mirror button attached to the windshield, need to wait until the adhesive bonds before mounting the mirror - that gave me time to remember that I almost got rear ended Friday evening. I want to look into the brake light switch adjustment, I had noticed that I get about 1/4" of brake pedal movement before the light actuates, just about the same time as the firm backpressure from the line pressure is felt. I'm a gentle braker - my mother taught me to stops gracefully by putting a tissue box on the flat carpeted floor of the family minivan. If you used too hard of brakes the box would slide forwards, if you did it just right the box would stay put. I noticed that the brake lights (by viewing the side mirror after dark) would come on when I was "braking with intent", not just rolling into the brakes like I normally do.

It didn't help that the guy was using his phone but...

I just changed my driving style for the remainder of the day Friday out of an over-abundance of caution, however it's my opinion the brake lights come on too late in application pressure for my comfort. I also have supplemental LED brake lights I'll be adding (using the rear blackout light mounts bolts to eliminate drilled holes), as well as a third "center-high-mount-stop-lamp" that I'll clip the the fiberglass inside the rear window (again no holes). Should express my intent to stop clearly [thumbzup].

Few more minutes and I'll post a picture of the new inside mirror mounted, here:

[EDIT:] Grrrrrr... apparently not all glues are equal. Popped off when I went to adjust it. I'll try again tomorrow... [/EDIT]

Last edited:

Another Ahab

I had noticed that I get about 1/4" of brake pedal movement before the light actuates, just about the same time as the firm backpressure from the line pressure is felt. I'm a gentle braker - my mother taught me to stops gracefully by putting a tissue box on the flat carpeted floor of the family minivan. If you used too hard of brakes the box would slide forwards, if you did it just right the box would stay put. I noticed that the brake lights (by viewing the side mirror after dark) would come on when I was "braking with intent", not just rolling into the brakes like I normally do.
That's really cool that your Mom taught you that and went to the trouble to teach it.

I love my Mom and all (long since "crossed the river"), but if I remember right she pretty much put me in a car with an instructor and said "Let me know when you're done"!). :3dAngus:

tim292stro

Gotta learn to be smooth before you can be fast, my mom had more verbal insight than my dad (who spent a lot of time trying to stomp a hole in the floorboard) - I learned to drive stick by being given the keys when he was tired one day. He said (and this is a direct quote), "Get us home, don't kill us."

30 miles later I was a pro at feathering the clutch, he slept most of the way.

Another Ahab

Gotta learn to be smooth before you can be fast, my mom had more verbal insight than my dad (who spent a lot of time trying to stomp a hole in the floorboard) - I learned to drive stick by being given the keys when he was tired one day. He said (and this is a direct quote), "Get us home, don't kill us."

30 miles later I was a pro at feathering the clutch, he slept most of the way.
You KNOW that's a Dad story; there just isn't a Mom out there who would put that on her kid!

That's a GREAT story, tim29stro, thanks for the laugh! :lol:

tim292stro

Also paid Kubotaman last week for some radio mounts (dash/rear-rack). Those should come sometime and I'll get the LCD monitor mounted up on the dash so I can get cracking on the tunes... Need to find an ammo can that's big enough for a good center console and in good shape. Also need to start ordering some sound deadening flooring from the SS vendor 800nonoise.com (383 green vinyl) - it's loud enough to melt your brain in that echo chamber :drool:.

Last add will be two interior lights - I'm going to borrow two white/blue Grote dome lights from the XM1027 project. So as not to do any permanent/irreversible modifications, the existing rear cutout that doesn't fit the desired fixture will get an adapter plate, the front knock-out that hasn't been knocked out will be left, and I'll make an adapter plate to use two of the rear cap mounting bolts to hang the fixture over where it should go. Just like in the XM1027, the white will work when the lighting is in any mode other than black-out, blue will work in black-out mode (simple relay [thumbzup]).

Last edited:

CUCVLOVER

I'm glad the truck ran good.
It's cool some of you guys mom's taught you to drive.

My dad either tries to get his nap make calls or just generally plays on his phone when I drive. He has taught me to drive (NOT mom), when I drive we hop in about all I get (other than chatting) is let's go and don't hit anything.
I learned to drive stick by buying a jeep. The shifter didn't have a diagram and I tried to use reverse as second.

Last edited:

joshuak

Also paid Kubotaman last week for some radio mounts (dash/rear-rack). Those should come sometime and I'll get the LCD monitor mounted up on the dash so I can get cracking on the tunes... Need to find an ammo can that's big enough for a good center console and in good shape. Also need to start ordering some sound deadening flooring from the SS vendor 800nonoise.com (383 green vinyl) - it's loud enough to melt your brain in that echo chamber :drool:.

Last add will be two interior lights - I'm going to borrow two white/blue Grote dome lights from the XM1027 project. So as not to do any permanent/irreversible modifications, the existing rear cutout that doesn't fit the desired fixture will get an adapter plate, the front knock-out that hasn't been knocked out will be left, and I'll make an adapter plate to use two of the rear cap mounting bolts to hang the fixture over where it should go. Just like in the XM1027, the white will work when the lighting is in any mode other than black-out, blue will work in black-out mode (simple relay [thumbzup]).
Is that a praise coming from your Db drag racing back ground? :-D

Here's a list of cans and some measurements, agreed they could make nice consoles.

tim292stro

Always wore plugs and cans in those days, others didn't and now in their late 30's they say "eh?" a lot - like the old guys in the movies who've lived a long and exciting life. So I guess, no it's more of a critique :beer:

Thanks for the ammo can dimensions, now if I could find a tape measure...
missingtools.jpg

tim292stro

So from the rough measurements it looks like I can cram two 20mm cans side-by-side between the two front seats. Gotta find some local cans - time to go surplus shopping again [thumbzup]

tim292stro

Received the parts from Kubotaman (THANKS!!), I need to get a new dashpad to replace the replacement dash pad (grey) that's cracked - only the dash radio mount will be installed, and only so I can mount the non-standard Panasonic LCD display. I played with the front passenger parking light and found a bad contact in the fixture causing my turn signal woes - tweaked it to get it running today, but I think I'm going to break down and buy new sockets (two of them were a bit melted anyway).

Still no leaks to report but I do see some new wet marks underneath the transmission :|, passenger side view mirror glass came today, I'm going to see about putting that in tonight.

I'll see about mounting the dashcam in the M1009 to post up a video of boring commuting [thumbzup] If nothing else it might be fun for some of you to see all the familiar company names I pass on the way to work.

tim292stro

1444358523108419921278.jpg
Awww...

And then I took a closer look at the jack, awww... doesn't work :(.

And then I remembered I hadn't inventoried tools... tripple awww... No tools.

Well at least my phone is charged. Looks like this evening is going to be a bit longer than planned.

tim292stro

Tread separation, about 6-8"around the outside where the tread meets the sidewall. Nothing spectacular during the failure, just started shimmying a bit as I rolled to a stop at a light, really shook a bit when the light turned green and I started rolling again.

I was in a 45MPH zone with no traffic, and was able to pull off the main drag without incident or damage.

I knew I was going to be replaging tires soon when I received the truck, but this one let go a bit earlier than I forecast. The spare that I put on in its place, well it's ugly... bald, uneven wear, and lots of side wall cracking - it was also less than 5psi... so I'll be getting at least two tires tomorrow. The spare was enough to get me two blocks to a service station with a compressor, and now it'll get me to a tire shop tomorrow (first stop).

Lots of rubber stuff to replace. Wally, did this sit for like a year without being driven, or is this how you got it?

tim292stro

Nope, but they are all tire code "1904", which is 19th week of 2004. So they are 11 years old... It is definitely borrowed time, and they don't look like they were run often so the rubber got stiff (all this new driving is flexing stiff rubber parts - This is why replacing rubber that sat is important).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks