• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

USMC Vehicle Markings RUC or UIC Codes and Identifiers

T. Highway

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This should help in the ID. Thanks very much to Durango for the help, and M1009newbie for putting this thread together. http://www.docstoc.com/docs/130588468/usmc-nehca-groups Scroll down about 1/3 of the way until you get to the colored portion of the spreadsheet. Unit names and MXXXXX numbers are there.. The first MXXXXX (UIC) number corresponds to the unit. The next MXXXXX number is the parent unit.
The link is not working. Is there another place to find this information?

Bert

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
In the past, I've found a lot of UIC's posted on the internet. I've don't google searches by just typing in "UIC WXYZAA" with the WXYZAA being the UIC you have. Keep in mind that there is also a DODAAC and/or a Registration Number that could be on a vehicle in various places that could confuse the uneducated.

The DTID for instance has the DODAAC in it. So W26AHP30010032 would be broken down (and I'm keeping this basic) as W26AHP being the DODAAC which denotes the unit. The 3001 is the Julian Date. In this case the 3 is for the year 2013 and 001 is the 1st day of the year (January 1st). So the date numbers will go from 0 to 9 for the first digit. The next 3 digit can go from 0001 to 365 (366 during a leap year). http://www.fs.fed.us/fire/partners/fepp/julian-calendar.pdf

The last 4 digits are the sequential serial number for that specific Julian date. So for 0032 it is the 32nd transaction for that day. Now if you have a 3032, don't assume that a unit was very busy and did 3032 transactions in one day. Nope, for certain product lines, you will have the first digit of the sequential serial number as a fixed mandatory number. For instance, I seem to recall that all of our expendable supplies (office supplies) were required to begin with sequence 1001 through 1999. Vehicles and other major items were 7001 to 7999. Spare parts were 9001 to 9999. Medical was 8001 to 8999.

To add even more confusion, expendable, non-expendable (major items), spare parts, and medical would each have their own DODAAC. So most units had 3 DODAAC for each UIC and medical units would normally have 4. When they deploy they get new DODAACs for use in country. So add those in. Some additional info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DoDAAC

UIC's----Here's a good link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_Identification_Code

So trivia time....

Why does the Army UIC begin with W instead of A (other than the USDA uses A)?

Trivia question 2

Why do numerous DTIDs will have a DODAAC beginning with an S?

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Carnac

This DTID does not appear to follow the format

View attachment 511321

Any idea what a RCN label is?

View attachment 511322
Yep it does. FB2805 is the DODAAC. 4021 is the 21st day of 2014 as the date they executed the turn in document but keep in mind they may not have moved it to DRMO for days, weeks or months. 5000 would lead me to believe that 5 is what this particular organization uses for property. 000 is the very first transaction. I think I put 001.

RCN=Report control number.

Last edited:

William_Max

Dear Pilgrim. I am looking for the correct markings for a M715 belonging to VMCJ-1 First Marine Air wing, Danang RVN for 1967. Mine is almost done and I want to find the right tac marks for it. Thank you Bill

M1009 NEWBEE 2013

EWA- I sent you a PM last night. Need company and or other info for 4th Recon. Need more specifics of what you need. There are codes for each company A thru E and more codes for H&S detachment 2 thru 4 and site support Comapny A thru E . Then there is an M code (UIC) for 4th recon all by itself, with several detachments to choose from. Lemme know what you need for the UIC and Ill send it on, along with the RUC number and your 52 or 53 number.

M1009 NEWBEE 2013

Brad- Your number is M28353 for 4th Forecon Co. That is the main headquarters unit M number.
There is also another M number for the Detachment of 4th Recon Co, that falls under 4th Recon Battalion.
4th Recon Battalion UIC is M14700 and the detachment UIC is M14717.
The USMC number on your vehicle should start with a 54 for the 4th Recon Co and the other four corresponding numbers (USMC 54????) are up by the commanding officer and set up however they figured would be best for them to track the vehicles they had. On my M1009 I used 530204 and numbers that corresponded to my anniversary. 0204 for February 2004. You can use whatever 4 numbers you want, they are whatever made sense to the CO and vary and change widely still today based on vehicle counts and types. I hope this helps. Dave
You can use whatever M number from above that you feel is correct.

Usafmac

I have a usmc m1008 that I'm trying to find some info on. The doors say "USMC 533585" and under that it looks like a faded Maltese cross with the numbers 14121 in it. I was told it was a brush truck but wanted to know more about the truck I.E. Where it was stationed, where it has been, etc. any help would be appreciated.

Mac

M1009 NEWBEE 2013

Mac- The USMC 533585 is the tracking number assigned by the unit and the 53 designates the vehicle type/category. Most CUCV trucks were 52, 53 or 54 depending on size and type. My M1009 is 53. the numbers after 53 are just unit tracking numbers and they are just inventory numbers that each commander set up. So, that is the number you should keep, as it is probably correct for when it was used. The 14121 is the UIC/RUC number and represents the unit it belonged to when it was last in use. That number comes back to 2/23 4th MarDiv. M14121 is Rifle Company, Second Battalion, 23rd Marines, 4th Marine Division. In Pasadena or San Bruno... It should have an M in front of it.
Hope it helps. Dave

Usafmac

It does not have an m in front of it. I'm an Air Force vet not a marine so I have no idea what that means so I'm going to have to google it. Haha. Thank you for the info.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It does not have an m in front of it. I'm an Air Force vet not a marine so I have no idea what that means so I'm going to have to google it. Haha. Thank you for the info.
If you were a Marine vet, you would have spelled it Marine! ;)

Cheers

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mac- The USMC 533585 is the tracking number assigned by the unit and the 53 designates the vehicle type/category. Most CUCV trucks were 52, 53 or 54 depending on size and type. My M1009 is 53. the numbers after 53 are just unit tracking numbers and they are just inventory numbers that each commander set up. So, that is the number you should keep, as it is probably correct for when it was used.
Dave
Is the six digit "tracking number" the same as the six digit registration number on the data plate? I just acquired an M1010 that has what I believe is a USMC registration number (534XXX, definitely not Army, AF, or USN) on the data plate. It's been re-painted white, so if said M1010 had the UIC/RUC number painted on, where would it most likely be, on the rear doors or bumper, and front hood or bumper?

fpchief

Newbee, I am going to mark up a deuce. I am wanting to use appropriate markings for 3/8 WPNS CO 8th Marine Reg. 2nd MarDiv. I know they did not have any large trucks, they all came form the M/T battalion over at 2nd fssg. So ruc on hood and vehicle number on door? What do you think the vehicle number would start with?

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most Marine deuces start with 37, though I have seen a couple that start with 39. The early gassers seem to have usually started with 18.

On all my Marine vehicles, and most I look at, the 6-digit hood number (fender # on my motorcycles ;)) is the same as the vehicle serial number on the data plate.

All three trucks in the attached pictures belong to the transportation museum on Camp Pendleton.

Cheers

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks