• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for that thread clinto, and being a refrigeration mechanic, I am with the man who uses tubing benders, flaring tools, and hand swaging tools too, thank you...

welldigger

Thanks for that thread clinto, and being a refrigeration mechanic, I am with the man who uses tubing benders, flaring tools, and hand swaging tools too, thank you...
I am not above getting put the flaring tools both single and double, or my bender. However I usually don't like making my life harder than it has to be. Also has anyone seen copper prices in the last few years.

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
chainfall 3.jpgchainfall 2.jpgThank you welldigger, and today I thought I would mount my chainfall on my bomn hoist. Working by myself left me with the attempt to take the chainfall apart from its sistered beam trolley. Why, All I have to do is take out those cotter pins and unscrew those giant castlenuts. Simple right? WRONG! I spent over an hour on the first of eight of them, and that cotter pin has to be drilled. And so the next posting will be when I have some troopers with me to lift this assembly onto the beam as it is...stay tuined

welldigger

Yikes. Good luck getting that apart. And I love the idea of having a crane in my deuce. But until I find a folding davit crane that doesn't cost a fortune I must make do without.

Dipstick

welldigger,

I could use a little southern warmth about now. Although, I put on my insulated coveralls and work outside anytime it's over twenty degrees.

Thanks for your advice on oil. I am a fan of multi-grade too. I've used Mobil 1 synthetic in my cars and trucks for years with excellent results. I'm not sure I would try full synthetic in my Deuce though. Maybe I should swap my 0-60 gauge for a 0-120. I have one. Might replace my coolant thermostat too. Even after a ten minute warm up and a short trip the temperature never seems to get much above 120.

Looking forward to pictures of you air ride suspension. What will the weight capacity be? Where did you get the components from? Does it require welding?

I might visit my local heavy truck repair shop and ask them for their opinion on air lines. It's a very short run from the rearmost frame cross member to the glad hands. I wonder if you could use the flexible air hoses that are typically run from the frame to the air cans on air brake equipped trucks? I might do copper anyway. Stay well.

Dipstick

I like your bomb hoist! Seems like a very useful item. Those castle nuts do look scary! I can imagine how hard they'd be to loosen. Good luck!

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello dipstick, And the engine colant emperature is important. make sure it is at 180F at all times, and if your radiator thermostat isnt enough because of how cold it is outside, gert a radiator cover for your mchine. But be watchful with the cover, so that you do not overheat.

welldigger

Well dipstick I don't believe I would mess with synthetic oil in a deuce. I have found older engines don't seem to like full synthetic. I guess its possible synthetic is "too slick". That and I wouldn't want to buy 23 quarts of full synthetic oil. And whatadeuce is probably right on he front cover. 120 seems a bit cool. My truck stays an average of 180 up to 200 after a good hard drive. It never gets cold enough here to use a front cover so I didn't even think of that.

Dipstick

whatadeuce and welldigger. Thanks. I have the feeling my thermostat is stuck open. A new one is on they way. I do have a really high quality winter front that was included in the heater kit. I may use it. I was also thinking along the same lines concerning synthetic oil. I think I'll go with the Rotella 15w-40. It's a good buy at Wal Mart. Well, time to get ready for my 12 hour midnight shift. Thanks again!

FatBuddhaBoo

Trimmed the donor cab and removed accessories from the bed in preparation for the crew cab build.

Also noted that the temp gauge never came off 100F, but the engine definitely felt warm after idling and taking her for a spin around the block. Guess it's something more to add to the list.

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well today I gathered all my medium tow bar small parts into a 40MM box and grouped my wire ropes and chains to place in my new deuce storage job box installed behind the bomb hoist. I am scheduled to pullm ot a neighbors large palm tree and so I am bringing neverything Imown that could help.

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And today I pulled a tree out with my winch, ( photos to follow) I also pulled out some of my remaining hair because when I pressed HARD on the brake pedal, it went down to the floor ! Im ordered a new wheel cylinder and will inspect my master cylinder and air pack for evidence of leakage.

OD_Coyote

Wanted to ispect the air filter element and inadvertently pinched the wires going to the temp sending unit and flame starter ignitor when closing the filter housing. :doh:
Looks like I will be doing some cutting and splicing soon.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks