• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

renodogs

Removed the windshield glass frames, scraped light rust, inspected the wiper motors (one bad), masked and repainted the frames, tossed the 1/2" 10-32 steel rusted screws for some nice stainless 1/2" 10-32 screws and WHAT A MONUMENTAL PAIN IN THE ASS to remount! Had to use a cardboard apple box to hold the window frames up, butterfly wing nuts mounted, and a stubby Phillips to get those durn screws back in that hinge.

You know how it goes. You get a notion to do something that shouldn't take very long (#1 jinx of all time) and it turns into a freaking physical marathon to do something pathetically simple! I've been eyeballin' that dang 4" heater air intake hose (dry rotted) for replacement. Good Lord, you'd think I was asking for a tube made of gold for what they want for that hose! Gotta find a suitable replacement, not gonna pay those prices.

I'm gonna kick the ever loving **** out of 'Private Helper' (Soldier B to you Army types) when I find that goldbricking little scumbag! :doh:

Oh well. One thing's for certain, if you got a fat head (no, say it ain't so Joe!), a Deuce will keep you humble.

Last edited:

renodogs

auaNot a good day today.

The zipper boot install was a bear. I used the clamp method and still had plenty trouble. I had a tough time even getting the inner clamp on. And the new clamps I got are JUNK. They got all twisted out of alignment very easy. One of the darn screws broke, necessitating a run to the hardware store. I ended up re-using one of the old clamps. Finally after about 4 hours of fighting I got them on. I'm not impressed with the quality of the boots themselves either. Have a feeling I'll be doing this again sooner than later.

While I was laying under the truck I noticed a coolant leak. Looked like it was coming down from behind the oil filters. Looked like the little short rubber hose that goes to the oil cooler. Crap, have to pull the oil filters to get to it. So, I do that. Then I fight with that little rubber hose and finally it comes off. OH NO:shock: Much more coolant than I anticipated in that hose, now it's running into the oil filter bases! Mounds of paper towels later it stops flowing. Then I decided to replace the other 2 little short hoses. They all look the same age and are cracked. What a PITA to get those off and get the new ones back on.

I guess now I'm doing an oil change too. I'm also doing a cooling system flush because so much ending up leaking out, I might as well. Flush and flush, not too bad looking. A little rust coming out, but no gunk.

I decide to put the oil filters back in. I'm going to order spin-ons and I'll change them out when I get them.

Start up the truck to try to circulate some clean water and check for coolant leaks. Watching the oil pressure rise, the suddenly it drops to zero. It shut it down quick and go and look and there's about 2 gallons of oil all over the grass and covering the left side of the engine. Darn canister was not setting on the gasket right!! Now I have to make an emergency run to store to get some floor dry for the Exxon Valdez.

Two more hours of cleaning up oily dirt and floor dry from my yard. I'm done! I quit. No more today. I wished I would have just stayed in bed today.
Oh gawd. I laughed when I read your post. Yup, just when you think everything is going to get better and you want to do something simple.....

Well, you're not alone Kimosabe! Seems that notion of 'no problem, it's a simple task' is the jinx!

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Jeepsinker, Bought myself another deuce, had it delivered today from Fort Pierce...this one is a 19 and 68 M35A2...Fits right in line , and stands at attention next to the others!

Attachments

wilfreeman

Drove mine to Porter Warner to pick up some blasting media (500#) to blast my M100 trailer while I'm off this week - might have enough left over to get started on the M101a2 if I recycle enough times. The warehouse guy had to look the truck over, top to bottom, and ask 100 questions. From there, I drove about 20 miles to Home Depot to pick up a few decking boards to fix the deck - the deuce always gets plenty of attention there (the contractors love it the most). I left there and drove through town to my brother's body shop to pick up my sand sieve that I let him borrow when they were blasting the deuce. After a while shooting the breeze, I headed home. As I passed the Sonic, I decided I was hungry - so I did a u turn and went back. It was a big hit there too - plenty of guys there that wanted to talk about the truck. I finally got back home almost 3 hours after I left - not enough time to start blasting! Oh well, I met plenty of new folks, put about 60 miles on the deuce, picked up some materials and sparked a bunch of guys' interest in HMVs - it was a good day!

nchittendon

My wing man and I spent the night in our deuce on Wednesday night. Spent the night playing Checkers and Jenga. It is the start of our camping kit that we are building. Sunday night, the plan is to have the 7yo, 2yo, myself, and momma. She despises the truck, so this is a huge jump!

camper1.jpgcamper2.jpg

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello jeepsinker, and Bryce told me he has a secret stash of power steering units! And I am considering that because I like to drive with the duallies in the front...

212sparky

Started replacing my off road / backup lights with led lights. What a difference it has made. Droped my alternator load by 20 amps. I will post pictures when I get home.

nchittendon

Realized that the straps I have on my corners are the wrong ones for the newer vinyl cover. Ordered up the proper ones and should have them soon.

Also, ordered up my sugar scoop and antenna base off epay. Need to make the spacer to mount on the side of the bed, then start my radio setup. Goals are to use a SINCGAR shell, but install inside of it a civilian CB radio, and comms for onboard the truck. All functional with SINCGAR knobs/controls.

0827141901.jpg0822141431.jpg

AvrgJoe

This morning I had a cousin an one of his friends that is a military mechanic go look at a deuce.5 for me. I then spoke with the owner and made a deal to get my 1st deuce.5 next Saturday.

I know, it's not really mine yet, but the deal has been made and all that is left to do is drive 10 hours to get it and get it home!

Crush36

IMG_20140831_191624774.jpgIMG_20140831_191604935_HDR.jpgIMG_20140831_191855905.jpg. Painted the under body and body in non- reflective flat black and flat desert tan.. The front fenders and front bumper will be sprayed with black bed liner but its not done yet.

Crush36

IMG_20140831_191724377.jpgIMG_20140831_191806715.jpgIMG_20140831_191821042_HDR.jpgIMG_20140831_191649414_HDR.jpg.. Also installed new tail light lenses covers, new glad hands, front marker lenses covers, and painted the front window brackets in flat black and installed them.

Also installed new locking door handles. !!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks