• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DSCF2395.jpg Nothing like waking up to a low tire in the morning. I'll load a good tire in the pickup and drop it off at the tire store, then drop off the Deuce and have them swap tires. And I was just thinking the other day how long it has been since I had tire trouble.:doh:

Last edited:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 768131 Nothing like waking up to a low tire in the morning. I'll load a good tire in the pickup and drop it off at the tire store, then drop off the Deuce and have them swap tires. And I was just thinking the other day how long it has been since I had tire trouble.:doh:
It's your truck trying to tell you something. Maybe it dreamt of MRAP rims and tires!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DSCF2396.jpg The spare is on, and I have 4 good rims and tires that need new tubes. I'll get them to the shop 1st of the month.

fasttruck

TIRE SHOP 5.29.2010.jpgWorking with tube tires at home is not an insurmountable problem. Many commercial shops will not do them as few have been fitted to commercial trucks for the last 20 years and many tire mechanics have never seen one. Also most shops will not mount a tire that is over 10 years old. An impact wrench aids in lug nut work (remember the ones on the driver's side have LEFT HAND threads). If a shop air com pressor is not available electric ones are available, some of which plug into the slave receptacle on the truck. The truck can also furnish air to inflate the tires. For really stubborn cases a breaker bar with 1.5" and 13/16s square will start them especially of the lug nuts have not been off in 20 years and are fouled with paint or rust. A tire inflation hose with 10' or so o line on the downstream side of the valve and a clip on chuck is recommended. When I was in the service with a 20 year old M818 under me, the motor sergeant let me carry an extra tube and I had a hammer and some lock ring tools and I would pull the nail out of the tire, install the tube, inflate it and move on. The tire in post 9162 appears to be cupped from the solid front axles causing the lugs on the NDT tire to wear on 1 side. This can be equalized by rotating the front tires to the opposite side or moving them to the rear.break 1.jpgdrastic measures.jpg

rustystud

View attachment 768233Working with tube tires at home is not an insurmountable problem. Many commercial shops will not do them as few have been fitted to commercial trucks for the last 20 years and many tire mechanics have never seen one. Also most shops will not mount a tire that is over 10 years old. An impact wrench aids in lug nut work (remember the ones on the driver's side have LEFT HAND threads). If a shop air com pressor is not available electric ones are available, some of which plug into the slave receptacle on the truck. The truck can also furnish air to inflate the tires. For really stubborn cases a breaker bar with 1.5" and 13/16s square will start them especially of the lug nuts have not been off in 20 years and are fouled with paint or rust. A tire inflation hose with 10' or so o line on the downstream side of the valve and a clip on chuck is recommended. When I was in the service with a 20 year old M818 under me, the motor sergeant let me carry an extra tube and I had a hammer and some lock ring tools and I would pull the nail out of the tire, install the tube, inflate it and move on. The tire in post 9162 appears to be cupped from the solid front axles causing the lugs on the NDT tire to wear on 1 side. This can be equalized by rotating the front tires to the opposite side or moving them to the rear.View attachment 768231View attachment 768232
I always carry the military reduction lug wrench with me at all times. That and a long bar like you have pictured. Plus now I also carry my 1" air impact wrench.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I go to a commercial shop for my tire problems. GCR has shown a flexibility that I haven't found with shops that sell to mostly car people. Not guaranteeing anything, nor do I work for them, just throwing out there the name of a nationwide chain that might be of help.

Another Ahab

I always carry the military reduction lug wrench with me at all times. That and a long bar like you have pictured. Plus now I also carry my 1" air impact wrench.
Wait a second.

I did the math.

That's not a "long bar".

That there's definitely a L - O - O - O - O - O - O - O - O - N- G Bar.

emeralcove

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Must be tire day, just started switching tires and wheels around to get kinda good tires the truck and rolling stock on trailers that really aren't going anywhere for awhile.22.5 on M105.jpg That is a 22.5 rim and tire on the trailer, I have a total of 13 of them which I plan to have powder coated and mount something like these on them.Block tread.jpg9.00x20.jpg I noticed the tire off the trailer that I put on the front of the truck is a bit low on air after I put the compressor away. Well I have a couple more tires to switch around tomorrow. I have had too many tread separations on other vehicles to feel comfortable running older tires anymore, and I kinda like the original dual rear tire set up over being "singled out", but that is what makes this hobby fun, like burger king, you can have it your way.

Maverick1701

Yesterday I finally had the time to dig a little deeper into my alleged "algae in the fuel tank" issue....and yup, it's definitely the green scourge.
I found a nice layer of algae on the bottom of the tank (I'm assuming there is some water build-up at the tank bottom which kicked off the algae growth)

We return from our honeymoon on July 3rd so I'll have to wait until then to drain, uninstall, clean, & reinstall the tank....and then change fuel filters (probably more than once as things clear out)

I was going to probably clean the tank with acetone (after draining & removing from the truck).
Do y'all recommend another technique and/or product I should try first?

WP_20190615_18_11_14_Pro.jpg
fuel tank strainer before cleaning....totally clogged with algae
WP_20190615_18_20_59_Pro.jpg
fuel doesn't look too bad

WP_20190615_18_21_56_Pro.jpg
Scrapings from the fuel tank strainer

WP_20190615_18_22_05_Pro.jpg
fuel strainer post cleaning with acetone...nice and clear.

fpchief

Yesterday I finally had the time to dig a little deeper into my alleged "algae in the fuel tank" issue....and yup, it's definitely the green scourge.
I found a nice layer of algae on the bottom of the tank (I'm assuming there is some water build-up at the tank bottom which kicked off the algae growth)

We return from our honeymoon on July 3rd so I'll have to wait until then to drain, uninstall, clean, & reinstall the tank....and then change fuel filters (probably more than once as things clear out)

I was going to probably clean the tank with acetone (after draining & removing from the truck).

View attachment 768325
View attachment 768326

View attachment 768327

View attachment 768328
Looks like you are on the right track. I just did mine. Hardest part is the end of the fuel tank that has no access. Did the best I could and am letting the bio clean and fuel filters do the rest.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

DavidWymore

View attachment 768325
View attachment 768326

View attachment 768327

View attachment 768328
Modern low sulphur diesel will dry up and turn to gummy goo like modern ethanol gas, especially left sitting in the heat. I've had it happen to varying degrees each summer. If it dissolves into nothing with acetone, that is likely the case. If it does not dissolve, and there are solids left after acetone, it is likely organic growth. Optilube summer blend seems to help, as does keeping the tank full and running the truck periodically. Ideally, I would use up all the diesel and park it for the summer with clean waste oil in it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks