• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

zout

Before loading up more paint to hit the gun ring - I was pondering how to support the rear of the platform - so WA LA - found a piece of rusted exhaust pipe and got it all measured out. Two reasons to leave the access to the pintle free - one is to have full access if I ever hook up - second is - right behind that crossmember is my hookup to run my holding tank straight to the toilet - sink and shower are straight runs. Also needed to find a way to get the ladder a little more than a straight ballistic climb up a vertical cliff - you can see what I did to lower the top. Started the monsoon again and also got my Onan Gen repaired and its only 2:04 in the afternoon - guess I gotta go chat with Zout 2 for a while and watch a movie.Photo2801.jpgPhoto2802.jpgPhoto2803.jpgPhoto2804.jpgPhoto2805.jpgPhoto2806.jpgPhoto2807.jpgPhoto2808.jpgPhoto2809.jpgPhoto2810.jpg

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dave, you do good work. That is one outstanding truck! I'm very impressed - when you envision a project, you go all out! OUtstanding pictures of an outstanding truck! You definitely need to bring Jokers Wild to the GA Rally. That gun ring and gun look fantastic mounted on your 5 ton.

:beer:

zout

Gary assisted in his mount and supplying a Marine Tm on a gun ring mount - from there it was figuring it all out - Gary helped in many a pictures to assist and it was and IS appreciated in getting this correct. The barrel holder clamp is not found in the TM's not seen seldom so this is a BIG plus as an extra addition to the ring mount. All my spare M66 legs and accessories will be given to CAMO for their use.

zout

Question is - what have I NOT done to my 5 ton this week.
Dug out the LED lamps and got them hung - need to order up a 24v switch as I gave mine away in the truck I sold Tigger.
Generator back in and mounted and purring like a kitten - ran past bulk charge and into float stage. ( 7- 120 amp hr deep cycle batteries in the bugger) ran the ac as well and got the bugs out of that - had to open the rear door
as it was turning into a meat locker in the back.

Got the lid finished on the generator door so I an whip a padlock on it - still raining out so I will paint it later - had to lay a board off the garage just to get under some cover to get something done.
Ladder strap secured to totally lock it down.

I even played with Debs jeep and got the 24v single wire gen in aligned - did some re-wiring - removed the 24v elec fuel pump and give that to Ron next time I see him. Tried cranking it over but the batteries were still a little low and
on the 24v trickle charger.
Photo2814.jpgPhoto2815.jpgPhoto2816.jpgPhoto2817.jpgPhoto2818.jpgPhoto2819.jpgPhoto2820.jpgPhoto2821.jpgPhoto2823.jpg

I insulated the firewall with some insulation to help keep the engine heat from getting in the cab.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378167356.860396.jpg
I took out the seats and battery box along with all the old insulation on the back part of the cab. When I tore out the floor mat I found some nasty rust. Near the fuel pedal there were about 3 quarter sized holes all the way through. I patched those up and then wire wheeled all the surface rust off the floor in order to get a good base for the paint. I was unable to get all the CARC off but I got it as good as I could.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378168824.702940.jpg
I am going to insulate the rest of the cab with hushmat along the inside firewall, floor, and the back of the cab. I will then carpet the floor. Hopefully this will help with sound and heat a little.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378169138.757198.jpg

zout

Got the Gen door painted up - ran wiring to the gun lights and switch is on its way from Saturn Surplus - 24v toggle. It was beconning to get away from the garage and moved around so it was accommodated and with an array of pics to boot. Get the Ga mud cleaned up away from the front of the garage and bring it back down for some more work.Photo2826.jpgPhoto2827.jpgPhoto2828.jpgPhoto2829.jpgPhoto2830.jpgPhoto2831.jpgPhoto2832.jpgPhoto2833.jpgPhoto2834.jpg

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I gotta tell ya Bro...ya done good!!:beer:

Of course I was expecting you to excell in this project just like your other ones but you REALLY did it this time...and fast!!:not worthy:

zout

Seeing as the "other issue" is still present I was holding off spending any deal of mola on it - but later this week I will get the Goodyear AT-2 picked up from Military OffRoad Tires that Drew turned me onto last week. Only getting an 80% tread to match the left front steer - right front has gone flat too many times and had a big slit in it at the belting below the tread. Got Debs jeepy fired back up last night and only have to run the alternator single wire yet - foam is still on its way from that awesome Midwest Military fella John.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The weather finally cooperated and I managed to fabricate a set of custom troop seats for the 813. Tedious job but for less than a bar tab it's hard to beat for a new set. I also put on the NOS arctic cargo assembly.

2013-09-03 18.35.07.jpg2013-09-03 18.35.34.jpg

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
End of last week I finished replacing all the copper air lines and fittings with 3/8"OD and 1/2"OD DOT reinforced nylon tubing and push-to-fit fittings bumper to bumperette.

SDC12208.jpgSDC12209.jpg

Everything has been replaced with the exception of the under dash tubing for the low air warning switch and the 1/4"OD tubing from the governor to the compressor. I also installed new tube clamps. This stuff is much easier to work with than the copper tubing...much more flexible. Kind of hard to photograph the whole thing, but here are some highlights.

SDC12204.jpgSDC12202.jpgSDC12205.jpgSDC12206.jpgSDC12207.jpg

And a little gift for the neighborhood scrapper.

SDC12201.jpg

zout

Seeing as I have a change in hours at work and change of work days this last week has been a total cluster F. But I tried to prevail in getting some stuff done in preparation for the 2013 AWESOME Georgia Rally and along with that getting Zout 2's jeepy thingy done so we can tow bar it out as well - has anyone seen my M43B1 around ??? I seem to have lost it.

This weekend was pretty much just blowing off steam and anxiety and stress from accumulated BS - I did finish today getting the gun ring lights wired in - these are 24v LED's Trucklite items that I removed off the M109. I still have a 24v Warn 6,000 lb winch I gotta figure out what I am going to do with that has the remote control to it ??? Just took two pics is all as I was totally screwing off today.Photo2851.jpgPhoto2852.jpg This week is finish the pm and oil change and start loading everything up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks