• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
On Saturday I installed a third air tank or on-board air-pig, I like to call it. It's an 8.5 gal aluminum tank, DOT approved and made in North Carolina[thumbzup]. It mounted perfectly inboard on the double stacked utility/tool boxes behind the cab. I plumbed it directly from the dry tank with 1/2" push-to-connect fittings, 1/2" DOT nylon tubing and installed a cable-pull manual drain valve. It's a little over kill, but it will help when running air tools and my overzealous locomotive horn blowing:). The air line also tees into the cab for the locomotive horn and air ride seat.
SDC12230.jpgSDC12231.jpgSDC12234.jpg

Haha, my turn signal indicator blinds me at night.
Try one of these out. You can still see it during the day and it won't blind you at night.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/ba9s-ba7s/ba9s-led-bulb-1-led/4/

dezert ratt

I'm thinkin about swapping my shortened deuce bed for a full length deuce bed, and deleting spare tire mount and tool box on the m818. I really want to run a cargo cover on the bed.

zout

Haven't done it yet - been thinking about it - have almost everything I need to do it - I have more time coming up to where I can do it - and that is get started on the hitch on the back of the M909.

Its suppose to rain here again Saturday and Sunday once again so hopefuly I can get the Jokers turned around to where I can finish measuring up and get started on it. Right where I have to work is where all the water runs off the yard across the front of the garage and into the back yard - I may just be working on an inflatable raft this weekend. Look out for sparks:D

zout

Well - got the lead out of my arse and at least got some stuff laid out and cleaned up. Have a couple small details to work out on the fab job before I hack into anything.

That is a 6x6 tube - the 8" receiver tube will be cut into the center of the big cross tube and through it - welded up on both ends and in the internal section of the tube as well.
All the steel 3/8th plate will be the welded sections to the crosstube and bolted into the lower rear section of the tail frame.

Rained yesterday afternoon and is raining once again today - and the water drains out of the yard right where I have to work. Here is what the stuff looks like.IMG00027.jpgIMG00028.jpgIMG00026.jpgIMG00029.jpg

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Couple of weeks ago, uncoupled my M818 from my M871 hay hauler trailer and discovered that the truck brakes didn't work well - evidently, the trailer air brakes were doing most of the braking work. Found and fixed a leaking fitting that had drained out the brake fluid, and replaced the DOT5 fluid and bled the brakes - all is working well again. I needed the M818 to travel bobtail to Ft Polk to pick up a M447C trailer, so was glad the brake problem was a quick fix. 350 mile round trip, and the M818 engine purred along for over 12 hours straight with no hickups.
20131218_090621.jpg

Then used my M923 to flat tow a non-running M925. I made up a towing light cable out of two trailer plugs and a commercial 4-wire trailer wire setup. Plugged into the M925's trailer socket, but had to unplug the turn signal switch so the turn signals worked. Used bullet connectors, so the light setup wasn't permanent.
20131130_122305.jpg20131130_122325.jpg20131130_122329.jpg

I unhitched the M447C trailer, then hooked the M871 trailer back up to the M818 and made my bi-weekly 40 mile round trip run for horse hay.
20131207_124951.jpg

I like the M939 series auto transmission for traveling in traffic, and the extra cab room, but I still like gear jamming the M818 manual transmission. :driver:

Last edited:

cx65083

I like the M939 series auto transmission for traveling in traffic, and the extra cab room, but I still like gear jamming the M818 manual transmission. :driver:
I can definitely relate to the gear jamming. I choose My M813a1 for that reason. Wish I could have a few more gears to shift through! Nice to see You're still putting your truck to work. :)

Artisan

Stereo in my tractor. Memphis marine head unit display on dash the brain is in the battery box with a memphis 4x50 amp and an iPod controlled by the head. 2 8 inch subs and 4 inch speakers in pods mounted on the back corners.

So does that control head have wires that power it and then wires that run to the hidden parts or is it batteries and wireless?
Are the subs Memphis too?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The control has a wire that goes to the brain mounted in the battery box. I swapped out the 2 8s for a single pioneer slim 10. The 8 inch boxes were composite and couldn't handle the bouncy ride the kind of broke apart. I had to move the glove box to fit the single 10 but it sounds pretty good. The voice speakers are memphis.

Artisan

The LED headlights are cool but if your ever going to be in snow
or freezing rain they do not get hot enough to melt the stuff.

there is a new Truck Lite LED that is available W/ HEATER , FWIW.

Anyone have a dump for sale in the PNW? PM me.

Amer-team

100_3943.jpg100_3940.jpg100_3941.jpg100_3942.jpgIt is a bit too cold and wet, but worked on some rust on the 923 today. It seems both mirrors were developing some bad spots, plus the mounting arms too. So took them apart, beat on the rust, got some primer on them, painted, and reinstalled on the truck. will probably have to do some touch up when it warms up a bit, but they do look better.

zout

Actually I got this set for free back in 2009 from my Trucklite rep. I gave them to my friend whom never installed them either. At that time I had the 109 and did not want to mess with converting it. So - my friend got sick of me begging for them back as I have the Trucklite LED's surrounding the gun ring as well. There were some folks who had these for sale in the classifieds here ? Price has gone down seeing as they have been on the market now for a while as well.

Marcel - I live in GA so hopefully it does not snow here where I have to test that ability - if it does I need to move farther SOUTH. I cannot see them heating up like a normal light though as they are LED.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks