• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vhyle

This weekend I'll be rebuilding the bad alternator and swapping them back to the original spots (I swapped them the other day to get it running enough to drive daily).

After that it's a lot of small things. Inspect GPs and GP relay circuitry; inspect GEN1/GEN2 light circuitry; replace the rubber hose and clamps at the fuel pump (old and leaky... noticed a very slow drip on the driveway); repair the rear window tracks; and something else I'm sure I'm forgetting.

Gonna be a fun long weekend in the garage. I'm actually enjoying utilizing my mechanical skills (used to turn wrenches before the Army) and getting my hands a little dirty. It's quite gratifying to repair something yourself, isn't it?

richingalveston

I built a behind the dash panel to mount my addional electrical equipment, I moved the diagonistic plug to the far pasanger side and made places to tie wrap the glow plug controler card and other card (can't remember what other card is). I also installed my Dakota digital tach interface and I am going to install two fuse blocks with separate leads to the batteries one block for motorized equipment (power windows, locks and other noisy stuff) and one block for electronics.
The panel is just a scrap piece of aluminum that I had, it has three mounting points under the dash so it is very stable. I chose the spot above the glove box for convienience. remove the four screws for the glove box and everything is easily accessable. It is also up a little higher in the dash just in case I make a mistake on a water crossing at some point in the future.
I do plan to install a rear AC but not the dash AC. I pulled all of the AC system out of the 87 suburban and have it in a box ready to install, probably get rid of all the dash stuff when I determine what I do not need.

Attachments

timo247

Had a crack welded up where my driver's bucket seat had crashed through the floor and made a small hole about the size of an apple. utilized Keith J's expertise with a TIG welder and we got it all welded back together. Little crack at the top right hole for the bolt to go through on the bucket seat so we will have to weld that but its not a big deal. nothing a 1/4 inch plate of steel can't reinforce. Got all my parts to get her out on the road without any problems so after installation it will be ready for paint stripping and bodywork!

forest522

Have you noticed a considerable difference with those? I know mine are shot and anything would make a difference but I want to get a good quality set.
Yes, they have made a big difference. The originals were pretty bad, two were totally shot. So it may be a case of 'wow, something different'. There is still the typical bounce but much tighter, like a 3/4 ton truck. The body roll after a dip in the road has been reduced. Woulda a set of nitrogen charged be better? Perhaps, but at this price point, I couldn't resist. Just not sure that this rig would ever benefit from a modern shock. Good luck sir, please report back if I'm wrong!!

Finally got around to the GP resistor bypass. Also changed all the spade connectors and put in 8 new AC 60g's. She hasn't been able to start in a week, even plugged in. Only one was pretty swollen, but was able to gently pry it out without snapping the tip. Of course it was the passenger side rear.

Once all buttoned up, she fired right up after a 5 second glow cycle. A really good dirty feeling. The sun even came out so it wasn't too bad working in a foot of snow on a 10k lb. paperweight. I did drop a ratchet extension through the block which took about 15 minutes to find, but all is well. Knock on cast iron. Still have to upgrade the headlight circuit and rebuild Gen 1, but they are holding their own enough for me to put them off just a bit more.

Anubis8472

Did some electrical tinkering.

Sanded, cleaned, greased all the wiper motor connections. (somewhat slow wipers[may be normal], barely a spurt from washers)
No change in operation.
Bypassed wiper motor capacitors.
No change in operation.

Read 12.68v on front, 12.77v on rear.
Rotated batteries.

Sanded, cleaned, greased IP fast idle connections.
IP advance working fine. Fast idle solenoid non-functional.
Getting proper voltage to solenoid, voltage drops properly when engine warms.
Solenoid itself looks bad (center rod loose, feels worn out/broken just confirming)
Looked up replacement fast idle solenoid.
Decided for the price I'll just use my foot on the pedal for now.

Sanded/cleaned/greased GP connectors. (couldn't recall specs to check them)

joediveguy

Welded a spare tire mount (meant for a boat trailer) to the top of the rack.
Then threw the new 33x12.50-15 BFG AT spare up on top.
Now I just need a vinyl cover to keep the sun off the spare.
View attachment 398088View attachment 398089
I discovered a camo Alice Pack cover at a local Army Surplus store and tried it out. Not waterproof but offers some UV protection to the tire. I shot it with liberal amounts of scottsguard. Mine is a stock 31" so it may not fit a 33", but for $5, I'd give it a try!

GMLMVRally5.jpg

dmilkman589

what you think about starting a thread on why we love our cucv's... here is my story

drive to buffalo for school. 300 miles.
put on about 100 miles around bufffalo.
drive home 300 miles

take 2 day off roading adventure

drive back to school to finish semester, then home again so another 600 miles for the round trip

the night i get home every one piles in the old 09 and we drive to the top of a old logging road to watch a meteor shower from the top of the mountain.
so about 1500 miles, and 2 off roading expeditions to sum it all up

thats pretty good for a 30 year old truck, not a lick of problems with the thing mechanical wise, reliable and more than capable for anything.
i love my m1009!

Cucvnut

I had a bad front battery it would not hold a charge past 11.50 volts and only had 75 CCA so i had to have to load tested and it was bad and poof i get a new one for free. but the odd thing is two days ago i had no issues with my truck starting, what would cause it to go bad?

Red_506

Cucvnut, the battery has probably not been accepting a new charge for a while; it just took however long for it to get discharged before you noticed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks