• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkserra

Hey I think I found it:
nostalgicairparts right?
that's the place. Unfortunately, they don't sell the CUCV kit anymore, as they were having too many problems getting the add-on evaporator.

BUT.... as they say, there is a way around it. NAP sent me their 265 series evaporator which is a replacement unit that has defrost, a/c and heat in one unit. This requires removing the old heater core, rather than just finding the room and installing the evaporator. NAP sells the evaporator as a generic kit, just specify you want the CUCV installation kit.

I removed the heater core (with left me with holes in the firewall to run the hoses), installed the evaporator in its place, and then mounted the a/c compressor in the area between the passenger alternator and the front battery.

The mounting kit comes with two large brackets that fit behind and under the passenger alternator and a pulley that fits into the center of the crankshaft pulley. Remove the alternator, install the brackets, put the alt back. Remove the crankshaft pulley, put the new pulley inside the crankshaft pulley, reinstall with the supplied longer bolts.

Inside the truck, remove the heater core, install the evaporator, remove the glovebox (not enough room to fit the evaporator if you don't do this), run the electrical wires and ducting, run a/c and heater hoses and you're about done.

Attached are pics of the mounting kit, the pulley and compressor after install

The mounting kit comes from a place called Component Parts out of Fort Worth TX. Kit is labeled "5255 86-87 Chevy Blazer 6.2L 2 Alt".

Cost of the kit was $995, extra odds and ends parts cost me about $40, tools I didn't have was another $150, then the cost of getting it vacuumed out and freon added.

Attachments

Last edited:

darkserra

How cold is it and how hard does it blow? Thanks for the info!
I found that due to the water flow through the heating hoses into the heater core, I had to put shutoff valves in both hoses between the radiator and evaporator.

Once I did that and stopped the flow of hot water into the evaporator, it blew some darn cold air. We measured 42F air coming out of the vents on a day when it was 82F ambient.

Air flow is pretty good out of the vents. Instead of just getting airflow to the floor of the truck (like the old system did), I ran the hoses to the vents in the dash and put in a vent where the old controls for the stock heater were located. I had to use a dremel to cut out a hole in the metal of the dash for the middle dash vent. Now I can just turn on the vents and blow interior air, when it isn't that hot. Beats the "2x55mph" window vent air flow. :grin:

Defrost air flow is pretty sucky, but I think I can work on that. Defrost air comes out of the two vents on top of evaporator, then through hoses I stuck up into the existing "Y" defrost venting system. I need to get up under the dash and work on that some more.

jholler

Got a set of 34x10.5x15 Super Swamper LTBs with 50 miles on them for $300, a non-running go-kart, and an old Mosin Nagant. Gonna get 'em mounted tomorrow. :cool:

Brent.Cain

1986 chevy cucv m1031 Sorry guys no pix just yet but I have put in a nice rockfort fossgate speakers with a nice kenwood deck then I put on a set of doors from a 1990chevy power windows an locks and pulled that steering column so now I have tilt wheel then I did my rear disk brake kit my brackets from blue torch fabrication

Strawman

Refurbished my lightbar.New lightbar track,new clear domes and red filters on the rotators.Oh and i bought paint for the new 4 colour camo paint job.
Is that a Federal Signal Streethawk bar?
I only wish mine looked that nice.

Nice '09, all around! :grin:

hmsgoodhope

M1009 tailgate repairs

Disassembled tailgate. "Tapped" out prang in tailgate from previous war injury, identified all the usual parts that have failed (sash, rails, trim) in window assembly and ordered replacements. Hammered out bent sash so window could be reinserted and raised to keep night critters out. Lubbed springs, crank, and reassembled until new parts arrive.

Did some work on the 1008. Replaced the two blue fuseable links on the fire wall with self resetting breakers, both at the start of the leads. Put two of the same next to the junction on the firewall and used one to power two relays to the headlights and feed them better while taking some stress off the light switch. Mounted two blackout lights up front next to rubber utility lights, wired to light relays. Wired the lights to only work with the key on, another relay. Used the two blackout switches, one to power accessories with key on or key off, other for a horn. Installed a triple power outlet. Installed a fuse block and powered the el-crappo stereo from one. Installed a tap on light for a dome light. Installed a clock / remote thermostat. Broke a bolt and a drill bit in the bumper last thing, no plate light and got to go to work now.
Next, a dash cover, oil change, flush and new antifreeze, trans filter and fluid, axle oil changes, grease, etc.

ryan77

My white m1009 wouldnt start battery dead, found out alternator not working!! Went to pep boys ordered a 1980 cadillac eldorado 100 amp alternator for it!! Will throw it in tomorrow!!rofl

DIESELGREEN

Cyclejay, be careful out there... You have 30 days to get it tagged and titled, not 30 to get it insured. That puppy better be insured before you as much as drive a foot on a public road. And btw, hope you didn't fill it with GAS!!!:beer:...one more thing....your truck looks just like one Ive seen for sale on craigslist recently...that how u found it? You're practically a neighbor to me, I work in mableton at 285 and s cobb.

DIESELGREEN

Anyhow, back on track... Installed an extra-deep Derale cooling tranny pan and completed my center cluster with auto meter 2" ultra-lite water temp, trans temp, and oil pressure gauges... Without drilling a single hole in the truck AND retained the functionality of all the stock idiot lights!!!!

OL AG '89

Started stereo install......

pics to follow.

I used "nibbler" to trim the stock radio hole. WOW how cool is the "nibbler" tool!!!!
I figured it would take forever to cut through dash. and then I mashed the trigger on the "nibbler" and I was practically done.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks