• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

GunnyM1009

Going to pick up this brush guard Saturday. I've been trying to find one for Gunny for a while. What do you guys think I'm getting it for 80 dollars. Good deal or no.
The guy didn't feel like separating them so now I have a chrome bumper and a brush guard for 80 dollars. Don't worry the bumper is going no where near Gunny

Last edited:

cucvrus

And I gave away my extra one I had. If I only new.
Yes I know. I cut down a few CUCV brush guards and fit them onto other vehicles. A Chevy S10 Blazer and a Jeep Cherokee. I even cut a slightly damaged one apart for extra bars on a few of my own CUCV's that I added lights and changed the front end lighting. I could have used 1/4" x 2 flat bar but there they were in my barn. I sawzalled them to death. I just threw away the 2 lower center bumper mounts and should have kept them as a building platform. But over the weekend Face Book market presented opportunity and only a few miles from home. Score. Perfect for my master piece. The crowned jewel.

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been Googling about turbos a lot. Lots of possibilities. Set my mind on the HX35W. After Googling the HX35W I came across Iveco/Cummins part number 3597180. I can get this locally. Great, I went to order 1. I ordered 2. One for the Optimizer going in the M1028 and 1 for my K1500.

I hope I made the right choice. It's clocked wrong in the picture, but I'm pretty certain it can be rotated. From what I understand OEM turbos have a dowel pin in there that can be removed. If not, I will have to return them and continue searching....

hx35w.jpg

RUSSELL THESING

Changed all fluids and filters depite it having 32k original miles, installed spartan locker in the dana 60 and all new hub bearings w/new grease.
Greased entire chassis.
Put 4 new mud type tires 235/85/16.
Changed the fan clutch and ordered a rebuild kit for the isolated alternator (duals on this model) because the light is on and it had a battery tender on the rear battery only.
Put on a spare CUCV bumper and grill guard off another CUCV.

Need to change the drivers side motor mount, $9, and probably an hour or less to do.
I'm totally new here, wondering where rebuild kits for the isolated ground alternator are sold, and, are there any special tools required? Thanks, russell

riggermedic

Put in a brand new brass and copper radiator, fixed a brake leak and bled the system, and finally pulled the trigger on a roof rack install

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bumpy ride today. A great number of years ago I swapped an SM465 into my SECM. Almost 2 years ago I thought I broke the trans. I was finally digging into it today and found that I broke the center hub out of the clutch disc. I was taking the bellhousing off and found 2 of the 6 bolts missing and the remaining ones loose. I believe this caused the clutch failure. I also found a crack in the bellhousing. The 4500 and Dodge 208 are ready to go in, need to order a clutch kit and find a stock GM truck bellhousing from the 73-84 era. Casting number is 460486 if anybody has one for not too much cash.

LT67

Bumpy ride today. A great number of years ago I swapped an SM465 into my SECM. Almost 2 years ago I thought I broke the trans. I was finally digging into it today and found that I broke the center hub out of the clutch disc. I was taking the bellhousing off and found 2 of the 6 bolts missing and the remaining ones loose. I believe this caused the clutch failure. I also found a crack in the bellhousing. The 4500 and Dodge 208 are ready to go in, need to order a clutch kit and find a stock GM truck bellhousing from the 73-84 era. Casting number is 460486 if anybody has one for not too much cash.
You can buy a new aftermarket bellhousing from Novak... they're not cheap, but at least you will get a brand new unit without the risks of bends or cracks from an OEM unit that has seen better days.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can buy a new aftermarket bellhousing from Novak... they're not cheap, but at least you will get a brand new unit without the risks of bends or cracks from an OEM unit that has seen better days.
Yup, I'm aware of that. My bellhousing would not be cracked had the idiot that assembled it used locktight. With that said, I don't mind used, the budget can't take AA products right now

LT67

Yup, I'm aware of that. My bellhousing would not be cracked had the idiot that assembled it used locktight. With that said, I don't mind used, the budget can't take AA products right now
Buddy of mine bought my 74 K10 that had the oddball SM465/NP203 combo. Well the frame had a kink in it where it meets the firewall on the passenger side. It bent the bellhousing. He hasn't been able to find one...

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been Googling about turbos a lot. Lots of possibilities. Set my mind on the HX35W. After Googling the HX35W I came across Iveco/Cummins part number 3597180. I can get this locally. Great, I went to order 1. I ordered 2. One for the Optimizer going in the M1028 and 1 for my K1500.

I hope I made the right choice. It's clocked wrong in the picture, but I'm pretty certain it can be rotated. From what I understand OEM turbos have a dowel pin in there that can be removed. If not, I will have to return them and continue searching....

View attachment 841917
I received the turbos today! :D No dowel pin. After taking out the snap ring I can rotate it anyway I like. Not sure what the PSI the wastegate actuator is set for, but it won't be very difficult to create my own using a spring. Or get one from Heath Diesel.

IMG_20210816_165912.jpg

For any Europeans on here, these are the parts numbers it goes by:
  • OEM 3593014 — CUMMINS
  • OEM 3595279 — CUMMINS
  • OEM 3595656 — CUMMINS
  • OEM 3597180 — CUMMINS
  • OEM 3786657H — CUMMINS
  • OEM 4033086 — CUMMINS
  • OEM 4033086H — CUMMINS
  • OEM 4035408 — CUMMINS
  • OEM 4041882 — CUMMINS

• OEM 2996280 — IVECO
  • OEM 4890857 — IVECO
  • OEM 4898619 — IVECO
  • OEM 504040250 — IVECO
  • OEM 504065520 — IVECO

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kenny I might have one on that cheapie I got a few years back

Keith_J

I have always said replace batteries every 4 years and you won't get stranded. But did I follow that in my car?

Had to drive the 1031 to work yesterday. Then after work, using the truck to exchange the August 2017 dated battery for a new one.

Yes, I deferred maintenance because my 35 year old CUCV is reliable.

LT67

I have always said replace batteries every 4 years and you won't get stranded. But did I follow that in my car?

Had to drive the 1031 to work yesterday. Then after work, using the truck to exchange the August 2017 dated battery for a new one.

Yes, I deferred maintenance because my 35 year old CUCV is reliable.
Always a good time to see the looks on coworker's faces when I drive the 💩box M1008 for work lol

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Always a good time to see the looks on coworker's faces when I drive the 💩box M1008 for work lol
I was walking from my building to my parking spot (at work) last week, came around the corner and heard a diesel idling... man that sounds familiar....

Got close to the historic building they're remodeling (navy base) and saw a familiar cammo paint scheme.... what the... is someone messing with my truck? Right now the topper is off the back of the '09 and as I came to where I could see what I was hearing, it looked like my truck sitting inside the contractor's fence around the building... adrenaline starts getting ready to flow, when suddenly I noticed the bed was aa lot longer than mine.

Yup, it was one of the contractors that drives an M1008 and had driven it to the site. Looked good too.

So on my way out I drove past and gave a toot from the air horn (2x100watt whelen siren air horn) and they all waved and smiled. Dang I forget how LOUD that thing is, especially when it echoes around between closely spaced buildings (and the topper is off).

They're out there...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks