• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your FMTV or LMTV today

Ronmar

Any concerns about welding weakening the frame? This is a common thing people bring up, but from drilling holes it doesn't seem like the frame is a really high tensile steel.
I am NOT welding on the main chassis frame. I have disconnected the upper 6” secondary frame rail huck bolt joiner plates from the main 8-3/4 chassis frame rail(plates still attached to upper frame will serve as alignment guides). I am converting that upper rail into the floor structure for my habitat build. It will be attached/bolted at the front via a diamond truss where the front crane lift was formerly attached and use captured hydraulic ”springs“ in the rear. I have no concerns whatsoever welding to the new floor frame:)

MatthewWBailey

Father, Husband and Barn Hermit
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any concerns about welding weakening the frame? This is a common thing people bring up, but from drilling holes it doesn't seem like the frame is a really high tensile steel.
Pretty good diligence to ask this question always. My SE guys would give me the whole lecture on this. The abridged version is much more palatable: Given the 2 different moduli of the stacked beams, one (lower) prevents the other from seeing the full Ksi. So it's incalculable as shown. If the 6" beam was in free air on its own, the weld may create some martinsites if welded poorly (too much heat) and make it brittle enough to start cracks regardless of loading. But if the heat number is observed, it's still fully rated. I'd be more worried about holes drilled below the centerline of the flange than welding.

MatthewWBailey

Father, Husband and Barn Hermit
Steel Soldiers Supporter
look forward to video and/or write up on this. would be much appreciated
Rick has a good picture of his mods on this front. IDK what thread it's in.

update: here it is...

Last edited:

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think that's still a current menu item and near as I can tell it was introduced in 2014.

There is likely a date code on the package. It was probably consumed within 1-2 years of production.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh yeah. The factory Red Dot AC system is the killer app for these trucks. That and ceramic window film (tinted or not). A1R's have better cab insulation as well and are quieter than older trucks. Honestly the only models worth looking for at this point - especially with prices having dropped or stayed stagnant in 2024.

1000004974.jpg