• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your JEEP today

Bravo2Uniform

Where you taking it to if I may ask?
I am way out of my depth when it comes to tackling the dual calibration of timing and carburetor. I think I could do the carburetor but I just don't understand enough about the timing process to do it myself. I replaced a 12 volt system (hack job) which included replacing the distributor. This is the only that I have farmed out.

Jeeagle

I am way out of my depth when it comes to tackling the dual calibration of timing and carburetor. I think I could do the carburetor but I just don't understand enough about the timing process to do it myself. I replaced a 12 volt system (hack job) which included replacing the distributor. This is the only that I have farmed out.
WP_000474.jpg

Had a really good looking M38a1 Roll into the shop yesterday!

Outwardly you had all the ignition hooked up correctly but looks like whoever had the 12V system put in, indexed the oil pump for the old flat head area (rotor pointing towards cyl 1 vs facing down like M38a1) I swapped the leads around and manged a slight cough. Coil is getting power but still working out why it will not starting. I have points pulled and will be buying a volt meter tomorrow after my 1st job to test the coil. Also your fan was hitting the bottom of your shroud, I bent the shroud outwards a wee bit to avoid it happening again. If it continues I may take the shroud loose and elongate the holes so I can adjust it down.

I am hoping you can give me some history on the engine. Did it run well before? Has the oil pump been taken off at any time since last running? The Dizzy, is it new along with the coil, points, and condesnor?

Also, I would be quite proud of your work if I were you. Even with new parts and lots of help I've seen people half dash throw it together. Yours has the touch of someone with patience and care! I suspect when completed there will be many miles to be enjoyed.

I used an air compressor. Mix my own paint too.
Today I got almost all my lines installed, and my steering connected.
Once all lines(fuel, oil, etc.) are connected I will take her out for a spin!

Saberr

Congrats wade and bravo, both look great. Today i got mine to turn over and run on starter fluid, later in day i found out the comp who rebuilt my fuel pump put the top portion on 360 wrong. It was blowing air into gas tank, instead of sucking it, fixed that. Hope to have it running on fuel system tomorrow. Also welded up about 50% of the pin holes in floor, other 50 % tomorrow and two quick patch, and body work done. Just need to paint and put body on and drive, all else done, already tested and have my electrical and brakes going :). Was excited to hear it run after the rebuild. Funny side not, couldn't get it to run. 1) Had hooked all the wiring up backwards 2) Had miss timed oil pump 3)Needed new distributor rotor and cap 4) spark plugs got messed up, had to get new. That was about 2 weeks of hair pulling and waiting on parts. Also bravo, great of you to recognize your limitations, had to do that a few time on my project.

Bravo2Uniform

Yes, the engine ran well, smoked a little, but generally ran well. Distributor was supposed to be NOS. Oil pump has not been tampered with in any way. Let me know what you need and I will attend to it ASAP. Thanks for the compliment, that means a lot to me!

Saberr

Congrats again bravo. Wade i have an 65 m38a1. Got the engine turned over and running on its own fuel system today. Got half my floor panels and dash painted, and only have one little side patch left on the body.Woohoo, patch, paint, merge, drive.

Saberr

Got my engine running, then i discovered my radiator took a bashing while in storage.. Two leaks and not holding water well, big bumber. Also found couple oil leaks and burned my hand on the hot oil, hope got those fixed. Got all my fording system together and attached, except the line that run from transfer to pump, had bought wrong size copper lines.

Bravo2Uniform

Got my engine running, then i discovered my radiator took a bashing while in storage.. Two leaks and not holding water well, big bumber. Also found couple oil leaks and burned my hand on the hot oil, hope got those fixed. Got all my fording system together and attached, except the line that run from transfer to pump, had bought wrong size copper lines.
Awesome! I am impressed that you are going with copper for your vacuum lines. Very nice touch.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks