• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton lockout hubs

jatonka

Is any one out there familiar with the workings of the air actuated sprag in the 5 ton? I have one apart at my shop and I can't see where there is a neutral position where the sprag collar would lay when there is no air to the cylinder. I think the sprag defaults to forward direction when the transmission is in any forward gear and is set to reverse when the reverse gear rail actuates the valve on the transmission and puts air to the air cylinder on the transfer case. If I didn't have these reservations about the ability of the sprag to really lay in neutral, I would already be selling the 5 ton lockout hubs. I understand that some of you just shut the air off to the air cylinder and call it good, my concern is that it does not really put the sprag in neutral or free wheel. Someone wanna explain where I am missing the actual working of this 5 ton transfer case? JT

Trango

Last edited:
I would be in also. I believe 2.5 ton lockout hubs are like $500? so somewhere along those lines would work for me.
Being that the size is twice that of a 2.5 ton it'll be more than $500 but they won't be no $2400 a pair like those goofs at Spare Parts Inc. I talked to Mitchell there and he's a bit high up on his horse and doesn't care if people buy his stuff or not. So oh well Russ can make them alot cheaper than that.

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jatonka, THe 5-ton sprag system is spring loaded to the center position. When normally installed there is ALWAYS air on one side or the other. The poppet valves on the shifter rail are simply made that way.
The manual (pp 2-60 of the 211-10) even indicates to open the air drain to allow the sprag to return to netural.
I installed an air cut-off years ago (and thousands of miles) on lil-Squirt and have had no issues.

jatonka

Hi Squirt Truck, I have a 5 ton transfer case apart in my garage, I have the top hat off. I figure that it is in the neutral position as it sits there with no air to it. I will try it tomorrow morning. It ought to turn free as it sits there, right? If that is the case, I will be real happy, and so will a bunch of other people, I haven't done the lockouts for them because I didn't think they would be totally effective. I really appreciate your input. John T

ncduece

I JUST REPLACED MY TRANSFER CASE IN MY M818 i was having problems with it locking the front wheels in forward, made notes about testing it after i put the new xcase in with out air the front wheel off the ground and rotating it by hand it the front wheel will spin in ether direction. with air up and shifter in forward the front wheel will spin forward but not reverse. with air up shifter in reverse the front wheel will spin reverse but not forward.

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
ncduece,
Most common failure on the 5-ton failure is in the poppet valves on the shifter rail. Air leaks in the operating cylinder are common also but not killer.

What you identified is the proper way to test the sprag operation.

bigford

I'll take a set if reasonable also.
AVM used to make some years ago for the 2-1/2 and 5 tons. I had a set of the 2-1/2 tons with the air shift t-case. Just left the air off until I went offroad and locked in the hubs.

I hope to have an answer in a couple days for ya on price. He's still doin some figures. Does anyone have a hub they would be willing to send to him for some measureing so he can save some time on the design? He'll conpensate ya for your time and the shipping cost to and from. If so let me know asap.

Thanks
Adam

BLOWN Z

5 ton lockouts

i would like a set of 5 ton lockouts cost dosent matter call with imfo on lockouts 314 2801442

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks