• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Juan's M998 HMMWV

Al Capone

Im on north shore . This is sleet not snow. We had snow few weeks ago though . Humvee Is worst vehicle I ever drove on icy roads! No weight on rear end and rear tires kinda angle in at bottom so it gets crazy on ice

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
More Comm Gear

I had been looking for a reasonable Bat antenna As-3588 / GRC-206 for a while and Greg 86humv hooked me up. I got the tall swiss cheese right rear mount from American Milspec. This set up is usually on FAC forward air control hmmwv's. All the pics I have found for the swiss cheese had bat antenna mounted.

I moved the heavy steel mount that I had used previously with the at-1011 set up to the side fender with the heavy backing plate. I found several pictures in the sand box where they were mounted on either side of the fender. I chose right as I have the fording exhaust on left side.

Fellow Member Linhster graciously made me a deal on some comm gear that was still on his truck. Thanks for working with me! :D One of the items was a complete Harris RF-382 Fast antenna coupler with shock mount, mounting plate, cable cover and cables. They are typically mounted on the rear right fender horizontally or inside cargo area on the side fender wall sideways for slantbacks.

Attachments

Last edited:

Al Capone

my buddies truck has a big antenna mouth on rh rear fender but it's up towards middle front . He also still has some big cables with multi plug ends on it . Wires might be something u need . I sent ya a email .al

FKAM

Fellow Member Linhster graciously made me a deal on some comm gear that was still on his truck. Thanks for working with me! :D One of the items was a complete Harris RF-382 Fast antenna coupler with shock mount, mounting plate, cable cover and cables
Juan, Very nice!

Is the RF-382 functional?

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure as I do not know how to test nor do I have a real radio.....

But I do suspect it works as it was left on a gp truck and it had lots of cabling and looked like a comm truck with dual mid antenna towers ( on the project list :) ) and rear mounts. Surprised it went with the truck and the owner was kind to let me acquire for my rig as a realistic display as he knew what I was trying to accomplish. If it was bad or junk, I think it would have gone in a scrap pile to be never seen by us again but it is all speculation at this point.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Installed roadside fender antenna tower

Installed the roadside (driver's) antenna tower and upper & lower reinforcement plates. Takes lots of 1/4 screws....

Part numbers and pics of install. Busy area under the fender with fording exhaust brace, seat belt brace and antenna reinforcement but it all fits.

I did not install an antenna yet as I wanted to keep the cover on for now until I finish some other projects. Tower fits fine under cover.

Besides looks, I also like this hunk of metal behind the seat. I know it is not a roll bar or anything close to it but a lot sturdier/beefier than the c pillar. I hope to never test.

Attachments

Wire Fox

Gotta say for that RF-382... I do have a radio that's fully-functional that can hook up to that and run it through to full rigors to see what does and doesn't work. If we ever are going to cross paths at some point, I'd be happy to bring along my radio to said meeting place to try it out. Do you have the control cable and power cable for it? I don't have either of those, so that would have to be found before we could make it work.

I actually really want to add an RF-382 to my HMMWV some day, as I do intend to run it as a comm truck in live use, but I can only find those couplers from a Canadian source that has them BNIB, and priced to match. If you ever decide to change your asthetic, please do give me a message.

FKAM

Installed the roadside (driver's) antenna tower and upper & lower reinforcement plates. Takes lots of 1/4 screws....

Part numbers and pics of install. Busy area under the fender with fording exhaust brace, seat belt brace and antenna reinforcement but it all fits.

I did not install an antenna yet as I wanted to keep the cover on for now until I finish some other projects. Tower fits fine under cover.

Besides looks, I also like this hunk of metal behind the seat. I know it is not a roll bar or anything close to it but a lot sturdier/beefier than the c pillar. I hope to never test.
Juan,

You have made another post useful to me. My truck was a HQ vehicle with lots of signs of comm equipment having been attached (and dozens of holes drilled in the body, a future problem to address). I didn't realize the tower mounting pates had underside reinforcement (My truck still had the tower mounting plates when I picked it up). After reading your post I ran out to see if my mounting plates had the underside reinforcements and they did. So I'm good to go to put up my towers. Thanx

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gotta say for that RF-382... I do have a radio that's fully-functional that can hook up to that and run it through to full rigors to see what does and doesn't work. If we ever are going to cross paths at some point, I'd be happy to bring along my radio to said meeting place to try it out. Do you have the control cable and power cable for it? I don't have either of those, so that would have to be found before we could make it work.

I actually really want to add an RF-382 to my HMMWV some day, as I do intend to run it as a comm truck in live use, but I can only find those couplers from a Canadian source that has them BNIB, and priced to match. If you ever decide to change your asthetic, please do give me a message.
I do have a large multi pin connector cable that came with it for the control. Not sure on Power? Is the ceramic cone with a stud/nut the power?

Ironically , I think I will be up your way in Sept for my Niece's wedding. She dances Ballet at a company in Indy but I doubt I will have my toy with me :-(

I would be glad to get our gizmos together down the trail....sometime

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Juan,

You have made another post useful to me. My truck was a HQ vehicle with lots of signs of comm equipment having been attached (and dozens of holes drilled in the body, a future problem to address). I didn't realize the tower mounting pates had underside reinforcement (My truck still had the tower mounting plates when I picked it up). After reading your post I ran out to see if my mounting plates had the underside reinforcements and they did. So I'm good to go to put up my towers. Thanx
Cool as they are hard to find. It appears the first ones using the towers were bolted to the fenders bare. I guess some whacking of trees and overhead clearance issues, They issued a bulletin I found in the PS magazine to retrofit plates top and bottom. Plates are easier and cheaper than fender replacements. I found a source for both of the bottoms as the set up I got only had the roadside top plate. Ironically the donor truck had another left tower mounted on the right side, sideways with no plates. I have the correct right tower but can not find the top plate anywhere.

My fix for empty misc holes is to plug a bolt with washer and nut underneath to make it look like it belongs there :)

FKAM

My fix for empty misc holes is to plug a bolt with washer and nut underneath to make it look like it belongs there :)
That would be a real good idea, but my holes are from small self tapping screws they used to tie down cables and one large hole they missed drilled and hit one of the reinforcing angles which they hacked out pretty bad to make the hole work. On the bright side I have always wanted to learn how to TIG weld aluminum. I figured it would be hard to screw up on such a small hole.

have about 6 areas with stuff like this....:(
DSC00740post.jpgDSC00742post.jpgDSC00743post.jpg

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's some related stuff...fender plate looks field made for left side...flip it for right.
DSC_000839.JPG
DSC_000838.JPG
inner fender brace...looks factory for right.
DSC_000837.JPG
DSC_000836.JPG

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That would be a real good idea, but my holes are from small self tapping screws they used to tie down cables and one large hole they missed drilled and hit one of the reinforcing angles which they hacked out pretty bad to make the hole work. On the bright side I have always wanted to learn how to TIG weld aluminum. I figured it would be hard to screw up on such a small hole.

have about 6 areas with stuff like this....:(
View attachment 722645View attachment 722646View attachment 722647
Is that large hole in the back right corner top of fender? Btw, The tm shows a hole for the cabling for the Rf-382 there if so. Don't recognize the other patterns ? and looks like 2 plugs have also been installed in pic 1

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's some related stuff...fender plate looks field made for left side...flip it for right.
View attachment 722651
View attachment 722652
inner fender brace...looks factory for right.
View attachment 722653
View attachment 722654
Very interesting stuff there :)

The tower is made differently than all the ones (20) I have. The thinner side is not angled like mine and the wider side looks much wider and I see 4 holes for some attachment on the side? Also the stiffener in the middle is not angled. Reinforcement is also shaped differently. What model of truck is that off of as I suspect it is probably newer current stuff ?

Would you know the tm for that style radio set up? I found most are some flavor of eplrs?

FKAM

Is that large hole in the back right corner top of fender? Btw, The tm shows a hole for the cabling for the Rf-382 there if so. Don't recognize the other patterns ? and looks like 2 plugs have also been installed in pic 1
Large hole is on the driver side rear. There was a large mounting plate there that I removed and threw in the extra stuff pile. In pic one there are actually 4 plugged holes, and there are a lot more plugged holes nearby. I wasn't sure if they were standard holes that are in every HMMWV and are just plugged with plastic plugs for use if needed or previous drilled holes form applications in a former life. Don't have any trucks close enough to compare what a normal setup looks like and like I have said before I didn't pay too much attention to those type of details (to my dismay these daysaua) when I was riding in one for work in the Sandbox.

Last edited:

Wire Fox

I do have a large multi pin connector cable that came with it for the control. Not sure on Power? Is the ceramic cone with a stud/nut the power?

Ironically , I think I will be up your way in Sept for my Niece's wedding. She dances Ballet at a company in Indy but I doubt I will have my toy with me :-(

I would be glad to get our gizmos together down the trail....sometime
Whoops, I haven't actually looked at an RF-382 in a while. Power & control is all on the one multi-pin cable, so we should be able to just hook up and test it. I don't have an amplifier, but I can disable my radio's internal coupler and utilize exclusively the RF-382 to see if it at least does something.

The large white cone is an insulator for a different style of antenna connection (wire antennas and the like). Most stuff on-vehicle will use the coax connector nearby that is built for 50 Ohm antennas, which is every vehicle-mounted antenna that I'm aware of. If you don't already have it, you should get that protective cover that 86humv has shown in the pictures below. It really will save that ceramic piece from a lot of potential damage. There's one for about $25 on eBay right now...or perhaps 86humv has an extra one.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks