• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1078 LMTV Fix-up Thread

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
Had my first breakdown with the truck when I took it out to my off-grid place over the Memorial Day weekend. Glad it was on the way home so I still got to enjoy it. Had a brake chamber go bad about half way, parking brake side. Caged the two chambers on the wheel and used a vise grip on the line ultimately to get home.

Now to find a fairly priced solution... I don't want to replace the entire chamber, would like to do the "kit" and just do from the service brake diaphragm back all new on all 4 chambers as I am sure the rest will go soon. Ordered some but they were wrong... got the newer 12/16 chambers, not the 9/12 that are on the truck. Luckily I can return the 4 I got that were incorrect.

Got a bunch of cool other stuff going on though. Truck otherwise did well on the 500 miles. Did some good off-road with it and some blackout night driving as well as some good use of the M66 and 1919A4.

https://youtube.com/shorts/tvknS6uaP6c?feature=share

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
You have been around the block a few times @CallMeColt so the info below might be useful to others that happen to read this thread later...

Guessing you already know how to use Cage Bolts to keep from killing yourself. The LMTV Parts Spreadsheet has part numbers for replacement chambers - but more importantly - it has the replacement diaphragms.

Spring Brake
- TruckPro and NAPA = Type 12
- Oreilly = RB-D12

Service Brake
- TruckPro and NAPA = Type 9
- Oreilly = RB-D09

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
You have been around the block a few times @CallMeColt so the info below might be useful to others that happen to read this thread later...

Guessing you already know how to use Cage Bolts to keep from killing yourself. The LMTV Parts Spreadsheet has part numbers for replacement chambers - but more importantly - it has the replacement diaphragms.

Spring Brake
- TruckPro and NAPA = Type 12
- Oreilly = RB-D12

Service Brake
- TruckPro and NAPA = Type 9
- Oreilly = RB-D09
I didn't plan to rebuild them, just replace the outer portion of the chambers since they are old. I don't want to mess with opening up the spring side of the can. I just like the idea of having most of it be new and not worrying about it. Maybe I will rebuild one or two of the ones I take off as spares that look to be the best.

I think I found the correct ones finally. Haldex does still make them, they're just not common so they are more costly. I did see the parts numbers in the file but not the one that I'm looking for. Once I confirm it works, maybe it can be updated. I don't know exactly what these kits are called.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So spreadsheet is open to the public again?
Apparently not. Here is some information.
If you can't find it, PM me and I will email it to you.

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
Got a bunch of cool stuff for the truck coming up and coming in. Weather cooled off, so I am hopefully going to be able to get some big stuff done!

Got some fairly cold weather early this year and had some sputtering at start. Fuel system was loosing it's prime. Think it was my water separator bowl. Anyone else had this failure at the seal where the wire goes through?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks