• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

run ins with law enforcement

Crackerjax

i got pulled the other day by a park ranger....at jordan lake here in nc... i forgot to cut on the brake lights on a quick trip back to the loading ramp he pulled me and thought i had took the thing from a military base i showed him all my paperwork and dl and ccw and he asked the usual how why and everything else questions... i told him i ran it off of strait used oil and old gas i told him how i was going green.... by going green...... he said those hippy cars aint got nothing on this monster....it was a good time seeing how i got antique plates and keep them in the dash box and he said nothing about that.

Canislupus

You're an Idiot....

Uhmmmm.... I don't know if I would call that a positive experience with law enforcement. I don't know how drunk you were, but if you were REALLY drunk (Not the too low .08% BS rule.) he should have busted your butt. Driving around a 13,000lbs military truck while drunk is inexcusable. If you had gotten in an accident do you realize how bad that would look for the rest of us? Do you realize how many stupid laws get passed because of one idiot? Do you realize how much damage and people you could have killed with that? If you want to drive drunk drive a motorcycle, as you will only dent a bumper when you take yourself out.
Builder, not a big Deal, He got home ok, the authorities didn't bother him, so don/'t bother him with a BIG amount of BS... Quit PREACHING. Good story.
Fortunately nobody had a problem.

Marines42

I had to get a VIN verification on my Ferret Mk 2/3 when I registered it. Being a former law enforcement officer myself, I was trying to imagine the response. A local sheriffs car showed up with an FTO and his female trainee got out. I told her what I needed and showed her where the data plate was inside the cab. She had no intention of climbing in haha. The FTO got out and helped her out with what needed to be done. We conversed briefly and away they went. Now she is almost road ready and I am sure that will be a whole new experience.

Numbers

My only "run in" with Law Enforcement happened at the County Clerk's office while registering the deuce.

The Sheriff was prior Army and inspection went like a snap and he knew about the back up light issue and never asked. He was floored when he noted the low miles (4783 miles and yes, the odometer is functioning, was reset after overhaul). However, the clerk was "like what color is it?" and I said it's camo colored. To which she replied "what color is that?" and I went and proceeded to explain which colors were involved and she finally said "just let me see it and I'll figure it out." I said, OK its right outside your window and she looked and turned around and said "I don't see it." Of course I was laughing inside and told her what a good job the Army did on the camo job because she couldn't see it. Actually I am not sure how she missed it standing out like a sore thumb in a parking lot that is visible from all angles of her window. Eventually she figured it out and then asked, "what is it?" Oh my, I was going to have no fun on this one. I just said its an antique 1970 Jeep Truck. She proceeded to look in her books and finally had to ask someone who actually knew these things. Luckily I did get out of there in one piece finally and for my time I received my "Golden Ticket" (license plate).

Somemedic

Had to jump through some hoops to get the "historic military vehicle" designation which means I dont have to run a visible plate...

The lady behind the counter really, REALLY didnt want to deal with me but I remained persistant. Once she saw the truck she said I would definately need a safety inspection by a state trooper. Local coppers wouldnt do. She shooshed me out the door which left her with an hour of peace before she had to close the place up.

Little did she know I knew where to find a statey.

So I cruised through to the Speedway off I65 and low and behold there were 2, count'em 2, ISP fellows there. I promptly asked them (while wearing a Gary FD shirt for all to see) if I could get either of them to sign off on a safety inspection. No prob said the senior. He did ask me why I was driving with no valid registration which I told him the girl at the counter wanted to see the truck, it had ins. and all systems worked. He didnt have a problem and signed off on it immediately.

I was back in the bmv office in a half hour. The woman called me everything but a liar, saying I had forged the paper. I knew it was coming so I had kept the officers card in my pocket and showed her the card. She had the nerve to take it one step further and call him on his cell to confirm he had just done the inspection. She purposely made the call in front of me (kinda like she was calling my parents or some crap) which initially smoked me pretty good. Toward the end of the conversation though I heard him laugh on the phone, and said something to the tune of her being a bit anal about her job. That seemed to anger her a bit. Coupled with the fact she handed me the plate 5min after the place was closed I think was the proverbial icing.

I hope shes not working the next time I go in.

Maverick1701

Had to jump through some hoops to get the "historic military vehicle" designation which means I dont have to run a visible plate...

The lady behind the counter really, REALLY didnt want to deal with me but I remained persistant. Once she saw the truck she said I would definately need a safety inspection by a state trooper. Local coppers wouldnt do. She shooshed me out the door which left her with an hour of peace before she had to close the place up.

Little did she know I knew where to find a statey.

So I cruised through to the Speedway off I65 and low and behold there were 2, count'em 2, ISP fellows there. I promptly asked them (while wearing a Gary FD shirt for all to see) if I could get either of them to sign off on a safety inspection. No prob said the senior. He did ask me why I was driving with no valid registration which I told him the girl at the counter wanted to see the truck, it had ins. and all systems worked. He didnt have a problem and signed off on it immediately.

I was back in the bmv office in a half hour. The woman called me everything but a liar, saying I had forged the paper. I knew it was coming so I had kept the officers card in my pocket and showed her the card. She had the nerve to take it one step further and call him on his cell to confirm he had just done the inspection. She purposely made the call in front of me (kinda like she was calling my parents or some crap) which initially smoked me pretty good. Toward the end of the conversation though I heard him laugh on the phone, and said something to the tune of her being a bit anal about her job. That seemed to anger her a bit. Coupled with the fact she handed me the plate 5min after the place was closed I think was the proverbial icing.

I hope shes not working the next time I go in.

ha ha ha I lol'd

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since Sarge has the best of intentions but will never post this, I will.

A couple of days ago Sarge got stopped in his M1009 by Williamson Co SO. The deputy said he had seen Sarge driving the M1009 around a couple of times and wondered if all was kosher (cops get paid to be curious).
Sarge shows his DL and paperwork and the deputy says "Ah, you have it registered as an Historic MV, very cool!" (yes, he knew about that law).

Turns out the deputy is an old USAF cop and was once stationed on Clark AFB in the Philippines.
Says he: "My favourite vehicle was the M706, really loved those, do you know what that is?"
Says Sarge: "Oh yeah, my neighbour has one"
Says the deputy: ":drool::drool:....."

The end result of this encounter- the deputy wants to see the V. He also has wanted an MV of his own for some time but didn't know how to get one, so he is coming to the farm for a visit and some tips.

Another one converted to the Green Side.

Cheers

Last edited:

Jimma

In my area they are all really cool and usually wave or want to aks questions about it. The officers in Hartwell, GA and Hart County are great. They are interested not offended.

Wolf.Dose

Without reading me through all the posts, however I did read a lot of them, police seems to be similar everywere.
I once was stopped at a routine control (I realy do not remember, when, sometime around 1983) with my M715. The ploliceman first asked: Where did you get the truck from. The other issues then were no problem.
Several years ago, I already owned the M101, I was stopped by the police, better controled when I had a brake on a parking lot at the Autobahn. I asked them: What's the issue, check me out or do you like some information about the truck and the trailer. They said: No no, nothing wrong. We just like to know something about the truck and the trailer.
Coming back from a MV Meeting in Shwitzerland 2 years ago, the German custom officer (a very young guy) did not belive that this is a private issue and wanted to tell me that my motorcycle of 1938 which I had with ne, is a commercial howl and therefor I'm under the Sunday drive ban (Driving commercial truck in Germany is illegal on Sundays). I had difficulties to tellthis young guy that first this is no commercial transport (to whom I should have paid the money except to myself) and second my truck is registered as a historic vehicle and third the truck documents say that I need a tachograph (You do not have in the States, you have a drivers record book instead.). So I'm not allowed to do any commercal howling except for private purposes.
It took me some 20 minutes until he gave up.
Legally he was right, but according to my job as a motor vehicle expert I could convince him from something else and so he let me drive. By the way, it is in Germany NOT a part of the custom officers job to care for these things, this is a police job. And so far police did not care for.
Since 4 weeks I have a historical vehicle registration of the M101 A1 also and I hope to have solved the "Sunday driving problems" with this step.
Wolf

wb1895

Please look at my thread "stopped by the NCSHP"

As a former LEO and a current soldier I was cut no slack by a DMV officer for being "overweight" The ticket is being disputed but carries a $630.00 fine.

JamesM

Haven't had too much attention from LEO's while driving the M35 aside from the smile and wave. But when I parked it on campus the first time, I was in for a treat...

I came out of class (the truck having been parked in the grass lot where all the other trucks park for about 3 hours or so) to see, what seemed like most of the campus police surrounding the truck and scratching their heads.

I approached the truck and asked if there was a problem.

The senior officer: "This is your...umm...vehicle?"
Me: "Yes sir, is there a problem with it?"
Him: "Are you in the ROTC? Is this your truck? Where did you get it from? Do you have your information for it"?
Me: "No sir, I am not in the ROTC, and it is my truck, I have the registration, INS, etc under the driver seat...may I grab it for you real quick?"

seeming surprised that I had information told me to proceed and get him the paperwork.

I gave it all to him and he went to his car, called dispatch and what not

He walked back up to me and handed me my information and then proceeded with the what is it/where'd you get it/special license required?/does it work/how much did it cost/etc.

We talked for a bit and I answered all his questions and then some and gave him and the other officers a 'tour' of the truck and they all loved it. Some took a few pictures and I got a couple of their email addresses and sent them a few pictures cause they wanted to show their wives/kids.

Now, on campus, I get smiles and waves from all of the LEO's in the truck or not. lol...I guess the remember me. haha :driver:

tmac

I have never been pulled over however they have stopped what they were doing to get behind me and ride my butt several times. Right after I got my tag for my m1009 I was riding and I police officer pulled out in front of somebody just to get behind me and I heard him over the scanner I've got in my truck running my plate because he thought it was a stolen vehicle and once he found out it wasn't he backed off and pulled away.

NorthWoodsDuce

Overweight is a big deal in WI too if you are stopped by a Wisconsin DOT Inspector. Roads are expensive to take care of and they make sure you are legal. Winter isn't as much of a problem because we allow heavier loads when frozen. But when spring rolls around, if you are overweight, no matter who you are, you will get a ticket. I am sure I have been overweight many times, try not to get too overweight, but sometimes it happens!

pvtjorge

All have been cordial here. I always wave first whether they wave or not. But they usually do return my wave. Some just look at me and drive on.

While returning home one day after an outing I could see a DPS vehicle coming up on me. I had passed a wreck a few miles back that was being attended to by the locals.

I was slowing down to make a right hand turn off the hiway as their vehicle was passing me on the left slowing down as I was slowing down.

I looked over to see the Trooper in the passinger seat waving and grinning from ear to ear. I had to make a quick wave and get my hands back on the steering wheel to complete the turn. Nice guys.

Last edited:

BEASTMASTER

one time while plowing the cops got the road blocked ,cause a trailer truck is stuck in the road. i says ,i'll move him. the cop says, you think so? i say NO PROBLEM. put the plow against his trailer and AWAY we go . the cops say we owe you a coffee and what a BEAST.seems like they told the whole force ,cause i'm always getting waves from the cruisers now

gmorton

Being a Chief Deputy Sheriff in Iowa, I have had no problems around here:-D. Seriously as in any situation in dealing with law enforcement anywhere. For the most part we dictate our attitude to those that we deal with. 95% of folks are pretty laid back when we deal with them. The 5% or so that are attitude problems will usually not be super happy when we are done conducting business. I have alot of people thank me when they recieve a citation, it's all in the attitude.

Billy Bobbed

I have 7,000 pound plates on a 11,000 pound truck.Never had a problem yet.I had a LEO at a gas station ask me if I wanted to trade.I work a block from the police station.It sits on the road they all drive on.Im always worry every time a LEO is behind me,but they always go away.Must be the camo.[thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks