• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Suggestions Wanted! Your Input Is Welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ARYankee

I love this site and think improvement is a great thing. I'm also willing to help out in any way possible to improve it. I'm in favor of the members map as well, especially for those doing recoveries or long trips. I was also wondering about state specific forums, that way laws, events, repair places, and such could be posted under there. That may help with some of the other clutter in the rest of the forums and that way it could help members in the states as well. I also would think a moderators tab in the members list area would be helpful to find a moderator.

Last edited:
One suggestion I have is to have a page that list all the accronyms and abbreviations we are using here. If there is all ready such a page, please point me in the right direction. An for God's sake, do not PM me. Wy wife gets that every month, and I have to basically go fishing during that time... fat lady sings

bassetdeuce

use of classifieds

I would like to see a separate section or page for all WTB items. It is a good idea for steel soldiers to be able to seek items they need thru the classifieds but it would be better and less frustrating for those of us searching for stuff to buy if we didnt have to sort thru the items that are listed as WTB. Often something is listed as WTB and then right there in the classifieds someone else has that item for sale. thanks

Keib

Brand new here and love the site. I would like to know if we can change the skin to make threads easier to read. The dark on dark is tough on me. I *think* I've read all the welcome and new member instructions, but didn't see anything.

Thanks,

Keib

and yeah...pretty boring 1st post.

ABN173

Brand new here and love the site. I would like to know if we can change the skin to make threads easier to read. The dark on dark is tough on me. I *think* I've read all the welcome and new member instructions, but didn't see anything.

Thanks,

Keib

For us Steel Soldier addicts the dark on dark works better as it produces less light streaming from my laptop than most other sites. I'm on here late at night so my wife says "keep it dark or I have to leave the room" LOL:beer:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Thanks,

Keib

and yeah...pretty boring 1st post.

Simply click & drag over the text and it'll highlight in a Black on White sceme... about as contrasting as you can get in this world.

WELCOME to the SS !

Keib

For us Steel Soldier addicts the dark on dark works better as it produces less light streaming from my laptop than most other sites. I'm on here late at night so my wife says "keep it dark or I have to leave the room" LOL:beer:
Fair enough, but my wife is too busy making sammiches to worry about my computer usage...:-D

ETA: Thanks for the welcome Cold Warrior!

Last edited:

Ord22

Once you are logged into the site, you shouldn't have re-logg again to post a reply or to look at another site. sometimes doing this, it will not let you look at the site.:roll:

I've been having a problem with my password. I have had to re-set it probably not less than 20 times over the past few months. I always re-set it to the same password, so I know it is not a matter of my sinility getting the best of me. Anyway, this last time I have re-set it to a different password to see if that will keep.

mckeeranger

Purge Membership Database?

This may not be a popular suggestion, but here goes:

Would it be possible, or desirable, to purge the membership database of anyone who has never left a post? It would speed up the website, and make it easier to find people when searching through the membership list.

If you are using "nearly 20,000 registered members" as a sales pitch to prospective advertisers and sponsors, the "hits" and "click through hits" are far more important. They reflect how many times the ads appear to members, and non-members, so they show how effective the site is as a billboard.

You could post a few notices to let the lurkers know they need to post once to stay registered, or they could just re-register after they have been purged.

You might also consider purging those that have not logged in within the last ( for example ) 3 years.

Just a suggestion.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This may not be a popular suggestion, but here goes:

Would it be possible, or desirable, to purge the membership database of anyone who has never left a post? It would speed up the website, and make it easier to find people when searching through the membership list.

If you are using "nearly 20,000 registered members" as a sales pitch to prospective advertisers and sponsors, the "hits" and "click through hits" are far more important. They reflect how many times the ads appear to members, and non-members, so they show how effective the site is as a billboard.

You could post a few notices to let the lurkers know they need to post once to stay registered, or they could just re-register after they have been purged.

You might also consider purging those that have not logged in within the last ( for example ) 3 years.

Just a suggestion.
A variation or alternative to a Membership Purge might be to have multiple levels of Member Searches: Active Members, Current Members and Dormant Members.

Active Members would be any member with a most recent post within 30 days;
Current Members would have logged in, but not necessarily posted anything within the last 30 to 180 days; and
Dormant Members would be any member who has not logged in within a set period of time - possibly the 180 to 365 day range.
(These time-frames are simply suggestions, they could vary if actually adopted.)

This sort of gradient system could acknowledge that Members are sometimes distracted from the MV Hobby and the SteelSoldiers by the demands of jobs, families and health issues and may soon return to a more active level without losing their user name, password, "member rank", and message history/archive.

Just my 2cents

This is already a GREAT website. If no other improvements were ever adopted or implimented, it would still be the VERY BEST site available to those who share our varied interests in MVs. Thanks to all who hav brought it this far and keep it running so smoothly.

Last edited:

dc3coyote

I agree with UASFSS idea.
Something else I would like to see is some type of video messaging as well in the chat rooms. If it is possible
Also I would like to see the member locator map brought back, I know yall have been working on it for a while, but it sure makes planning trips nice.

mckeeranger

I understand what you guys are saying, but my thoughts were a way to speed up the website by removing the records of people that don't use it from the database.

I understand that some people just lurk, I did that for a year before I joined, then lurked 6 more months before I started posting. But there are thousands of people that have 0 posts, that probably never come back to this site. All those records slow down the database search.

Every time you click on a subject, you notice it lists the avatars, the join date, the location, and the number of posts for the posters of 8 - 10 posts per page. ( depending on the liength of the posts ) There are around 19,350 members who's records are in the data base being searched. That's 150,000 to 190,000 records being looked at by the software every time you open a subject. And that's just the member records, not including the message records themselves.

I wasn't looking at social classification, just a way to take some pressure off the servers and the software.

If you "classify" the member lists by Active, Current, and Dormant, the records still exist, and therefore still slow the system.

Also, the database SteelSoldiers uses, may not be capable of adding such criteria to the member record, and even if you can, it may not be possible to add the additional search for it. Even if both are possible, it might slow the system even more, which is the opposite of what I was suggesting.

All the major ISPs purge their users regularly. If you use AOL, MSN, Yahoo, or whatever, if you don't use your account for X number of months, you get purged.

I hope this rambling clarified my intentions, but usually a post this long does not.

One other thing:
This is already a GREAT website. If no other improvements were ever adopted or implimented, it would still be the VERY BEST site available to those who share our varied interests in MVs. Thanks to all who hav brought it this far and keep it running so smoothly.
QFT

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks