• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Virginia Steel Soldiers Rally 2009

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It will be Labor Day weekend, 2009. Easy to remember. It will run Thursday-Monday, but the big dates are Friday-Sunday.

There will be other groups invited as well, from other boards. We're looking at potentially 50 or so vehicles total, including civvy offroaders and jeeps. I probably won't invite any ATV groups.

More details to follow, I have to head out the door, so I'll try and post some more stuff about it tonight.

sgtrisk

I just stumbled across this thread.

I'M IN!! I'm just down the street in Stanardsville. Maybe 20-30 minutes drive. WAY COOL!!

I'd like to help scope out the area and get to know you guys, too, if you'd like another body.

I might even have two trucks by then!

pevrs114

That sounds pretty sweet, I'd love to go. Shouldn't be too far of a drive. How far are y'all from Charlottesville (driving time?)

CGarbee

Great to see that we have a few more folks just down the road. :)

I'll be posting up the dates that Maddawg or I (or both) will be at the farm working on trails and such in case anyone wants to drop by for a preview of the place and to help out.

I'll have a webpage up, flyer, and registration stuff available on the Tuesday after Easter. I'll be at Graves for Easter weekend and will be working on some details wih the folks as well as helping out with the Easter festivities.

We are talking about having early arrivals on Thursday (will open up the field for camping and will turn the showers on).

Trailrides mornings and afternoons on Friday through Sunday.
Mudbog(s) located at the back end of the camping field and on the other side of the mountain from the camping field. These are the "organized" mud pits with a firetruck parked next to them so you can hose off the mud when you finished playing in the mud...
Static display and Eastern NC BBQ Saturday late afternoon/evening.
We'll also have some convoys planned on some of the local roads (paved and unpaved) for folks who want to get some windshield time and see some of the sights.
Late departures on Monday afternoon.

The pool at the Lodge will be open for rally participants, as will the Lodge grounds and facilities (tennis/basketball/baseball courts, hiking trails, farm tours, pool, ect. Horseback riding is also available.

Currently, we are thinking that Saturday supper will be the only one done as a group, with the other meals the responsibility of individual participants (unless we get a lot of folks who want us to provide the other meals).
There is a general store in Syria that has a deli in it.
The Lodge serves three meals a day.

We are thinking $40 each with kids too young to drive in for free...

Folks who would prefer to have a cabin, a motel room, or rooms in the old farmhouse will need to make individual reservations with the Lodge for them in addition to making Trailride/Rally reservations. We'll have them deduct Saturday's supper from your reservation so that you aren't paying twice for it (rooms at the Lodge come with three meals a day...).

Speaking of Easter: We dye fifty dozen eggs starting at 9:00 on Saturday with all the local kids invited to help dye them. On Sunday, we have an egg hunt on the front lawn of the Lodge (actually, we hide them from the Lodge all the way down to the Rose River at the bottom of the hill)...
This weekend (April 4) is Heritage Day/Trout Day with the river in front of the Lodge reserved for kids too young to need a liscense. We'll have folks from Trout Unlimited, Va Fish and Game, and the Park Service (and others), giving demonstrations, helping the kids, etc. and we will have hay rides and the usual "other" stuff for kids and parents...
So, if you are local and looking for something to do or want an excuse to check out the grounds... stop by.

rtjraleigh

Banned
Cabell, Is there gonna be any convoy out of Raleigh? Jay, James, Kevin and i are attending. Also, is there gonna be any cabins avail? i called you friday and left message. give me a call.

CGarbee

Cabell, Is there gonna be any convoy out of Raleigh? Jay, James, Kevin and i are attending. Also, is there gonna be any cabins avail? i called you friday and left message. give me a call.
Hmmm, we can convoy up from Raleigh. :)
I'll be headed up a day early, but I'd be glad to lead the way (and to have you guys around for some set up help...).

Should be cabins available. Earlier you make a reservation, the better your selection... (they are all different...). Give the Lodge a call at 540-923-4231, but you may want to wait until the week after Easter so that I can make sure that the office staff has all the info that they need...

The Lodge url is:
www.gravesmountain.com

Didn't get your message for some reason.... :(
I'll give you a ring.

AMGeneral

Looks like I may have to bow out of this one, had to swap the M35A2C for the M54A1 for the ECC and Aberdeen,And money is getting really tight right now.Things may change,but it isn't looking promising.

TheBuggyman

Cabell,

Do you still want me to bring the field kitchen? I could set it up in the main area so anyone can see or use it for that "realistic" military experience. I suppose that I'll put off the M813-A1-X project until after the event so I can play in the mud pit! Do you have a trout stream on the grounds? If so, do we still need the VA license and stamp? Time will be short with the new baby here but I may be able to get away a day or so here and there to help you and Mike out with enough notice.

Eddie

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Eddie, I think that will be a good idea, as long as we can get enough people together who are hungry! :-D

The mud pits look very promising, a couple trips through it with a large truck spinning it's tires and it will be a mushy mess! I think the fact that the Lodge has a water truck that can hose us all off when we're done, so we go home squeeky clean will be great!

There are trout-stocked waters at the Lodge, I'm sure a license is required, as it would be in any part of the state.

Will be meeting with Cabell April 11th to do some trail maintenance on the trails that we will be riding on.

I also am going to start stirring up some interest on the other MV and jeep boards, i.e. G503, the Power Wagon page, CJ2A page, CJ3A page, VA Crawlers, etc. I think that there will be a lot of drivers of smaller vehicles that will enjoy riding around the area just like us big truck drivers!

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial
Eddie, I think that will be a good idea, as long as we can get enough people together who are hungry! :-D

The mud pits look very promising, a couple trips through it with a large truck spinning it's tires and it will be a mushy mess! I think the fact that the Lodge has a water truck that can hose us all off when we're done, so we go home squeeky clean will be great!

There are trout-stocked waters at the Lodge, I'm sure a license is required, as it would be in any part of the state.

Will be meeting with Cabell April 11th to do some trail maintenance on the trails that we will be riding on.

I also am going to start stirring up some interest on the other MV and jeep boards, i.e. G503, the Power Wagon page, CJ2A page, CJ3A page, VA Crawlers, etc. I think that there will be a lot of drivers of smaller vehicles that will enjoy riding around the area just like us big truck drivers!
Mike the last time the deuce was muddy last fall it took us 4 days with a presure washer and we are still finding mud.

Chuck

We'd love to be put on the list even though we don't have an MV yet.

I'm very new to the board, been lurking for about a month but hadn't yet had much to continue. Soaking up knowledge as fast as possible. I have a few "little" truck projects I have to finish up, but I've sworn off buying anything else any smaller than an M35 once they're done. :-D

This event looks like an absolute blast, and a great way to meet some of the local folks. We used to attend a few other events up in that general region (VAFWDA Annual for several years at Oak Ridge), but some have gotten too big for us to really enjoy - 250 vehicles someplace the size of Oak Ridge is just too dang many. This looks a lot more fun, and honestly the host property sounds like it has a lot more to offer.

So, Chuck +1 in a beaten old F-250, and looking forward to meeting as many of the VA and regional SS folks as possible (we're hoping to make it up to Aberdeen for a day, too)!

CGarbee

Yep, would love to have the "local" MKT as it will keep me from having to haul mine up.
I'll be using my hog cooker on Saturday (we are having Eastern NC BBQ with fixen's that night) and it looks like we will be having live music on Saturday night as well...

The water truck has a 2" Pacer pump with a fire hose on it and a 1025 gallon tank (and can draft from the river as well) so we should be able to get the mud off everyone... We will also be able to put one of the fire trucks (either the Mack B65 or the LH) next to the other pit...

VA state fishing license with a trout stamp is required for the Rose River and the rest of the streams in the area. Fishing farther up the river (above my propterty) in the Shennendoah requires that you also have a Park license. Fishing in the trout pond located behind the area where we will be camping does not require a license, but it is a "catch and pay" facility.

wvhillbilly

Mr. Garbee, Have you thought about the email sent you re: "Kathy's Kountry" performing
no charge at the rally? We will definitely be there with at least 1 M35A2, to rock n' roll.
Normally I take my summer vacation in July, but am delaying it 'til the rally. Plan on attending start to end. Please respond on this forum or to kwoman36@yahoo.com.

CGarbee

Mr. Garbee, Have you thought about the email sent you re: "Kathy's Kountry" performing
no charge at the rally? We will definitely be there with at least 1 M35A2, to rock n' roll.
Normally I take my summer vacation in July, but am delaying it 'til the rally. Plan on attending start to end. Please respond on this forum or to kwoman36@yahoo.com.
Yep, email sent...
Would love to have a performance on Saturday evening.

wvhillbilly

OKAY! This is a done deal! "KATHY'S KOUNTRY" would be PROUD to provide a country/vintage rock/bluegrass/patriotic/anything else she can sing(which is a lot!) show for the rally. This will be our full stage show w/all bells and whistles. Please let me know if I need to bring our generator. We will need about a 20 amp service. THANKS, CABELL

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks