• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Virginia Steel Soldiers Rally 2009

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sure!

We patrolled some of the trails for the weekend. Some are good for vehicles up to deuces. Some up to 5-tons. Some are jeeps and power wagons only, mainly due to the narrowness of the trails. To be honest, me and Cabell didn't see too much in the way of maintenance to do. We think the best time to do a lot of the cutting back of brush and thickets would be in July. The plan is to wait until then, and schedule a big work weekend, hopefully getting 5 or 6 guys together with brush and tree trimming equipment and get it done. Doing the trimming before then is kinda pointless, when it will just grow back. Plus, Cabell had a point - once we get there and have 20-30 trucks and jeeps climbing over the countryside, we'll clear our own trails.

The trail difficulty, on a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is a gravel two-lane road, and 10 is winching yourself up a cliff, rates mostly a 3, with some sections of 4-5. Those that are mostly experienced only with light offroading and pavement will find this a mild challenge, which is great! For those who DON'T want a challenge, there are more mild trails as well.

Pics to follow - Cabell took them, and he'll probably post them when he returns home to NC.

JR

This looks really great guys!!! I am definetly in and will be looking forard to meeting everyone. Whenever convoy plans are made I will be looking to travel in numbers from the norfolk area.

Orionspath

I'm up for the Syria cast. What's the chance of starting a convoy at one of the compass points leading to the eastern slopes of the Blue Ridge? Say Warrenton, Harrisonburg, Culpeper or even at your location Mike in Front Royal? Those coming from these respective points could meet up there and time starts to coincide in Syria? August sounds like a winner here. I could time it to bring up the East from my trip back from Delaware. Bruce, I could hook up with you and the guys coming from Maryland on my way back to the valley onRt. 50, I-495, and I-66 to Rt.29/211 West (meeting in Gainesville).....7.31, 8.14, or 8.28 would work for me........Let's Do It!

CGarbee

Just a reminder, the dates for this rally are set. I have a commitment from the folks for Labor Day Weekend for the next four years... :)

Dates for this year are September 3-7, 2009. (That is a Thursday through Monday).

I should have the flyer done up this weekend.

TheBuggyman

Great! Looking foward to the event! I'm gonna try to get that 400 in my 813 before then and get it painted. Got new canopy canvas for the field kitchen too. If someone has a BIG pot maybe we can do a shrimp boil or something like that..........

wvhillbilly

Is it safe to assume that we will be able to camp out on the grounds? Is a tended campfire permitted. Will we be able to bring our dog? My wife"Kathy's Kountry" are avid campers/outdoor(wo)men/hunters. We have MUCHO camping gear. Have 1 12 X 20 open canopy, 1 12 X 20 wall tent canopy, shower shelter, latrines, stoves(and more stoves)
and more freakin' pots than Patton had Shermans! Have had experience as a prep cook(me) and as a school cook(her). We normally take an extended camping trip in July, but are delaying it until Syria in September. LOOKING FORWARD.....Jeff and Kathy aka "wvhillbilly" and "Kathy's Kountry"............

vafish

Is it safe to assume that we will be able to camp out on the grounds? Is a tended campfire permitted. Will we be able to bring our dog? My wife"Kathy's Kountry" are avid campers/outdoor(wo)men/hunters. We have MUCHO camping gear. Have 1 12 X 20 open canopy, 1 12 X 20 wall tent canopy, shower shelter, latrines, stoves(and more stoves)
and more freakin' pots than Patton had Shermans! Have had experience as a prep cook(me) and as a school cook(her). We normally take an extended camping trip in July, but are delaying it until Syria in September. LOOKING FORWARD.....Jeff and Kathy aka "wvhillbilly" and "Kathy's Kountry"............

Many of the same questions here.

But I have a 26' travel trailer for the family to camp in. Any RV hook ups? at least electricity?

I see Graves Mt. has a charge for dogs $25 ea. Will that apply to us?

I'm a pretty mean dutch oven cook.

Russ

I may try to plan a trip up to VA. It's not that far from Roanoke area where I can stay ahead of time. I've wanted to get my Pinz up there for a while.

CGarbee

I see that I need to get the flyer, info packet, and registration pages done... :)

You can bring your dog. The Lodge fee for pets only applies if you get a room at the Lodge, not if you are camping out.
We have a shower facility in the middle of the field that we will be camping in with plenty of hot water.
You can have campfires in the field, but you will have to remove any fire rings when you leave (they are he** on the bushhog...).
We have not yet put in RV hook ups in the field. They are planned, but are not there yet. If you need power, bring a genset. If you bring a genset, plan to turn it off at night so
folks can sleep.
We will be camping in one of the 250 acre fields that we use for the bluegrass festival. It is flat (bottomland), has enough rocks under the turf to prevent RV's from sinking even if it has rained a lot and to make driving wimpy tent stakes "interesting". We have a bunch of strategically placed port-a-johns and garbage drums in the field to take care of refuse...

We will be charging $40 each for the rally (got to pay for the utilities, propane, and port-a-john cleanout, Saturday BBQ supper, etc.) This fee will include rough camping in the big field and use of Lodge facilities (pool, ballfields, internet, truck repair shop, etc.,). It will not include lodging in one of the Lodge facilities (cabins or motel rooms), meals at the Lodge, nor horseback rides).

Folks 15yo and younger will be half price ($20 each).

Last edited:

m35a2kevin

well,
i wasnt able to make aberdeen this year, so this looks real good, count me in!:-D
its about a 2 hour drive for me, straight down 81. i need to sharpen up my camping skills.
ive got camping gear i use every year at aberdeen just collecting dust in the garage.

kevin

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This rally sounds like a great time could be had by all. Since I didn't make Haspin, I'll have to make sure to try to get to this one.

CGarbee

The info page for the rally is located at:
http://www.garbee.net/~cabell/gravesmountaintrailridesweb.html

Included on the page is a link to allow for downloading a text version so that everyone can download and print a copy (for registration and/or reference).
I still have to scan in some maps so that everyone can see the locations of the actual trails we will be using, but the basic what/when/how much info is up...

It looks like I will have to be making a trip to Richmond on July 31, so I am planning on heading up to the Lodge then to do some work on the trails... If anyone in the area wants a sneak peak and or/ wants to help clear a trail or two, give me a buzz.

Graves Mountain Lodge (site of the trailrides/rally) is located in Syria, Virginia. 22743.

Last edited:

CGarbee

Got my registration printed, check written, and envelope sealed. Waiting on the postman!

The mailman was pretty fast this time... :)
Got the form and the check sitting on the desk right now.
Your's was the first form to arrive.

Looking forward to seeing you, and the rest of the gang, in about a month...

I'll be at the farm this weekend doing some trail maintenance...

M215

VA Rally

Ok SS,
I spent the day with Cabell and Jim Graves pre running some of the trails for the Labor day weekend rally. This event is going to be great and only 5 weeks away!
For those of you who are not familiar with Graves Mountian Lodge it is to me one of the most unique and beautiful locations in the Blue Ridge Mountains. My wife and I have been visitors to the area for over 20 years.
It was a real pleasure to meet the owner Mr. Jim Graves, several members of his family and staff. I was impressed with how excited Mr. Graves was at having this event at Graves Mountain and the resources he was making available.
The camping area is very large, allowing folks to have plenty of elbow room. The accomodations of the lodge and other facilities are going to make this such a great event. The trails range from scenic easy drives to very difficult . The best one in my opinion was a trail used by the 29th ID during WWII for training drivers on mountain roads / black out lights, VERY COOL!

Make you plans now, send Cabell your registration ASAP. Even if you can't bring your MV, plan to hang out, camp, eat, fish and enjoy this rally.

I'll be there with our M215 GMC dump truck and M105 camper.

Karl

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks