• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Csm Davis

CycleJay

Hello Cpf,

Thank you for the photo... I am always looking for a better way of doing things.
I just went down and checked my terminals, and for now they are tight. Good.

But I will look into getting better when it is in my budget.

CycleJay

These are the truck terminals I was talking about still lead but thicker and something I forgot to mention is make sure you use the right size the positive and negative post are different sizes. And like I said the expensive ones are made of copper.
Hello Csm,

Okay, gotcha.. Duly noted. I will keep my eye out for them on my daily travels.
Thank you for the information.

natemccabe

Just replaced my thermostat. 10 minute job if you dont count having to go to wally world to get kitty litter to clean up the mess. This is my last ditch effort to get heat in the cab. After this I'm just gonna guess that its the -30 temps that is keeping me from enjoying the heat.

CycleJay

Nate,

Sounds good, and 10 minutes makes it sound not so difficult.
But please share details for the rest of us, such as part #, cost, how you did it? and do not forget, PICS!! LOL

Just my $0.02 cents...

CycleJay

Csm,

Thank you for the link.
Those would be perfect. I will keep them in mind when I get paid next, in a couple of weeks.
And hope I can work them into my budget... Work has been going well lately,
so I have been able to start making little improvements here and there.

Just my $0.02 cents...

wayne pick

I finished up installing a Monster trans super duty 700R4 in my 1031 this morning. They sent it with the stock lenght output shaft so I had a slight fitment issue with the rebuilt Northwest Fabworks NP205 I had also purchased. To save time and more aggravation, I had a TH350/NP208 adapter lying around so I used it and a sourced NP208, shifter and linkage to get the truck back on the road. Im not too happy with converting to an NP208 in my 1031, but as they say, "It is what it is" I also picked up a new HD 42 TH400 for $450.00. It is one of nine new, never used TH400s sitting in a Brooklyn warehouse for thirty years. I may use it for the "shade tree project" or save it in case this 700 blows up and return the truck back to the original TH400/NP205 setup.

Swapped out a dead battery..... installed some "new" to me sport buckets... added power tracs to both front.... If i knew how to do seat covers... i would have added lumber and heat.... pics to follow in build thread... as soon as i can find my phone....

85CUCVtom

Rear brake inspect, clean and adjust. Everything ok. Inspected front brakes and found out I need to do them soon.

Still can't find my phantom squeeking noise. All my u-joints are tight, none have zerk fittings. I might replace them anyway.

GreggVA

Greggva that was a bad connection that melted your post and or your terminal end it is very common on these military trucks for some reason I haven't figured out yet to have loose cables and or terminal ends. You don't need to over tighten them but the way I check is if I can move the wire or terminal any after tightening, if anything moves it isn't tight enough. A properly cleaned and tightened connection will not melt without a major short that will melt the cables on a cucv.
I think you were absolutely right. I replaced the terminals today - the melted one and one that snapped in half when tightening it. These things are really poorly made these days. Was thinking about going to bronze instead lead terminals.

The 1009 started much better with the tightened terminals. Still think the starter might have issues as the engine kind of surges with starting cranks. I can make the noise but hard to type something it sounds like (rah-rum....pause....rah-rum...pause...)

Last edited:

scottladdy

Accessory Belt Replacement

Replaced the belts on my M1009 and M1008A1 with the following parts obtained from RockAuto:

Power Steering = Gatorback 15461
Driver's Alternator = Gatorback 15581
Passenger Alternator = Gatorback 15491

After the 15 minute run in, and use of the Gates 91107 KRIKIT Belt Tension Gauge to set the tension to approximately the specified 67 lbs., the remaining adjustment available on each bracket was about half for both trucks. This leaves plenty of room for future adjustments if required.

Tricks for installation (these belts may seem a little too tight before break in, but I did not need to do anything extreme to install).

Power steering - Slip the belt as far inboard as possible past the crank pulley. Then, slip the belt as far inboard past the PS pulley as possible. Slip the belt back onto the crank pulley, and with the PS bracket at full retraction slip the belt over the PS pulley. It will take a little persuasion. Use an appropriate tool to pull on the bracket for tension adjustments. Do not pry against the PS reservoir.

Drivers Alt. - Slip onto the crank pulley. Then, slip onto the alternator pulley. With the alternator fully retracted, slide the belt over the PS pulley.

Pass. Alt. - Remove the top locking bolt from the alternator. Slip the belt over the crank pulley. Then slip the belt over the alternator pulley. Replace the lock bolt.

Adjust the belts as specified in the technical manual. I was able to use the "adjustment" holes on the alternator brackets just fine. Just remember to pry as close to the front frame (pulley side) of the alternator as possible per the Delco-Remy manual.

Please post your results if you attempt this method.

All the best!

I think you were absolutely right. I replaced the terminals today - the melted one and one that snapped in half when tightening it. These things are really poorly made these days. Was thinking about going to bronze instead lead terminals.

The 1009 started much better with the tightened terminals. Still think the starter might have issues as the engine kind of surges with starting cranks. I can make the noise but hard to type something it sounds like (rah-rum....pause....rah-rum...pause...)

GreggVA.. I think you are on the right track.... if the cables, and connections are good, and both batteries are fully charged, and still get the.....rah-rum....pause....rah-rum...pause... I would look to getting another starter, and than have the existing one rebuild and keep as a spare....

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks