• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I made sure the rod was completely recessed up in the block. I used grease to hold it in place. I had to turn the crank a bit also, to get the new pump to fit properly. I'm certain it's not the install. But, I do think that the pump is still bone dry. I have a couple of things I'm gonna try this weekend.
I went through the same issues that you are experiencing.
Long story short, the new fuel pump (from NAPA) was defective out of the box.

Installed a different pump and it started right up.

Karl

drdodson

I had the alternators rebuilt, changed the filters and fluids, and installed a radio. Oh, and my M1008 has an old warn 8274 winch on the front that needed a remote... so i got one and rewired the plug so it would make the ole thing work. And boy does it work! As soon as i can get some spare cash, I think im gonna change the front differential to a trac loc and give the truck a fresh paint job.

ryan77

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately?

If your getting no fuel then either the pump is bad, push rod not in correct, fuel lines hooked up reverse, clogged sock in tank, major split in rubber on tank lines!!

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I walked the junkyard today looking for a few parts, but mid 80s trucks are getting hard to find. As we were leaving I spotted a coolant overflow bottle hanging out of an old Chevy van that looked a lot like the one in my 1009, so I wrote the number down to check it when I got home. Sure enough, same bottle. Called the yard, they want $20 for it. Called the local dealer and they want $25 for a new one. The dealer will also give me a 10% military discount, so I'll go with the new one.

chevyCUCV

Finished the front brake job on my truck
Ended up with Wagner rotors, calipers and pads. Dorman hoses, lug studs and master cylinder.
Repacked the outer bearings, and greased the front end.

Edited to fix confusing wording

Last edited:

Vhyle

If your getting no fuel then either the pump is bad, push rod not in correct, fuel lines hooked up reverse, clogged sock in tank, major split in rubber on tank lines!!
Like I was saying, I had a funnel inserted into the rubber hose going into the fuel pump inlet. I filled it up with fuel, turned it over and it didn't take any of the fuel in. The pump is obviously not pumping. I'll have to pull it off and see if the pushrod isn't installed right, or if the pump is garbage. If the pump is bad, I still have my old one. I can just reinstall it temporarily. It pumped just fine, but it leaks, which is why I replaced it.

ryan77

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately?

If going through the hassle, **** can the mech pump! Use a small block chevy block of plate from autozone and install a electric mr gasket inline pump and be done with it!

kenz5380

Had the timing set, Installed a freeze plug type block heater, oil pressure/engine temp gauges, new door locks as I never had keys to the originals, transmission fluid change and filter, checked the fluid in the transfer case, installed a windshield washer pump, installed a new harmonic balancer, Bought a new tool box for the back, I think thats about all I did last weekend. Had a great time. The truck is finally starting to be a functional vehicle.
Next I need to find out why the interior dash lights have been blowing the fuse. It never ends, but I'm still having fun with it.

kenz5380

When I got my M1008 it had been a parts vehicle and had been missing he ignition lock cylinder. I put my own ignition cylinder in the column, and never had a key to the doors. That is also why I had no windshield washer pump, or alternators, or steering wheel, or... you get the idea.

Durango_USMC

Bled the fuel filter, coolant tank repair attempt number 1 failed, put the dashboard back together, voltmeter still not working, looks like I could use a new grille and light bezel, ordered more parts.... shopping for a civi hitch reciever.

richingalveston

thanks, the M series headlight buckets that I got from Popacom (I think I got his last pair) are a perfect fit between the rails on the grill gaurd. What is nice about them is you can mount them even and then use the adjusters in the headlight housings to aim the spotlights. You do not have to try to aim them with the mounting brackets. I should have taken a pick of the metal that I started with. I actually pulled some metal angle brackets out of the scrap pile and cut them up to make the pieces. These brackets were used to strap computer cabinets to pallets for shipping. I had them in my scrap metal pile for about 5 years and finally found a use for them.

I still need to get them wired up and then adjusted but I already have the switch in the dash and the lights mounted I now need to get the wire and relay's installed. I am shopping for a 24V relay that I can use 12 volts to actuate. I think I need relays that will handle 20 amps for each pair of lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks