• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Who Bought Those Oshkosh MK-48s???

Coldfusion21

I'm sure you guys are incredibly busy and Im sure I'm speaking for everyone your working for saying thanks for the hard work and thought put into this challenging recovery.

That said, Im curious about these bolts. What size thread? I remember someone (perhaps you WM) saying there was some short ones and some long ones?

Thanks for the info, good luck!

Boreal21

I have nothing useful to add to this thread. Pardon my French, but these units are BADASS! Congrats to everyone that has acquired one so far.

Keeping my fingers crossed that one day an MK-48 will piss off my entire neighborhood by being parked in my driveway...

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
That said, Im curious about these bolts. What size thread? I remember someone (perhaps you WM) saying there was some short ones and some long ones?
It takes three short bolts with washers on each side...these thread into the back plate and pull the two halves together and lock them in place.

There are 5 long bolts with washers and crush nuts on each side that further hold the two units together.

Then there are 8 driveshaft bolts with lock washers and nuts.

Total cost for the correct amount of hardware is a hair over $125.00.

If anybody needs a set they can PM me for further information.

TacticalTruck

Not sure how you can put a washer on each side of a bolt that threads into something else, :p.

The nuts and bolts that came w/ my trailer were flanged, no washers were necessary.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The washer goes between the head of the bolt and the plate......all of the assembled trucks had them.....otherwise I would not have paid 80 bucks for the ones I bought.
We found that getting the gd.8 flang bolts was going to be a chore (not warehouse stocked for over night delivery) and VERY expensive, hence the washer

hcso2332

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone have the TM for the MK18 Hydraulic Trailer? The MK48 TM list all the attachments except the Mk18.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Does anyone have the TM for the MK18 Hydraulic Trailer? The MK48 TM list all the attachments except the Mk18.
Instead of looking in the m48 tms for this trailer tm, try looking in the FOLDING RIBBON BRIDGE tms. because the new ALL hyd. trailer is a ribbon bridge transport, It is designed to self-load the bridge erection boat (has its own cradle), the ramp section and mid sections.

I at first thought these were container self-loaders as most did , but I could not find anything (like you) on them, a little research revealed the above gem of INFO.

I have NOT acquired any FOLDING RIBBON BRIDGE tms yet, and it may be a while till I need them which will be when I acquire two ramp sections, two mid sections, and at least two different transporters.
The LOTTERY will have a lot to do with the time frame of this ACQUIRESITION

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I have been thinking that the bridge trailer might be an easy coversion to a dump trailer....I am intrigued by these beasts but I'm still not sure if I want one in my Motor Pool.

Rumor has it that there will be more of these coming out soon at this location.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
FYI, I'm buying bolts for a design project I'm working on for a local company. At Fastenal they are $72 each (they are big bolts). A buddy told me to check out McMaster Carr; I did, they are $14 there. :doh: Fortunately I was able to stop the purchasing dept from flushing big $$$$.

It pays to shop around.

Augdog1964

Mk18 / Mk18a1

I at first thought these were container self-loaders as most did , but I could not find anything (like you) on them, a little research revealed the above gem of INFO.
According to the Oshkosh website, and several references online, the Mk18 and Mk18a1 are indeed Ribbon bridge transports, but they also load and unload ISO standard 20 foot containers as well. In fact the ribbon bridge and support equipment are put on to or mimic the 20 foot container loading points...

There are pics of 18 and 18a1s unloading ISO containers in Estonia on google images.... pretty cool trailer.

hcso2332

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree Wreckerman, these would work great as a dump trailer. I was playing around with mine this weekend, it would be a very easy conversion.

Hoefler

Had mine out for a Military Appreciation event in St Francis, MN this past weekend. On way back from event, took it to a game refuge and drove trails for an hour. Put about 70 miles on here with zero issue. Fuel consumption was not bad either-gauge didn't move a whole lot. I am gentle on throttle when accelerating and mostly coasting to a stop at stop signs. Pushing the go pedal hard once in a while creates a beautiful sound. Threw in the pictures of those dueces-they where spectacular. One was a late model with factory pneumatic assist that was plumbed different than on an A3.

Attachments

tcody

Had mine out for a Military Appreciation event in St Francis, MN this past weekend. On way back from event, took it to a game refuge and drove trails for an hour. Put about 70 miles on here with zero issue. Fuel consumption was not bad either-gauge didn't move a whole lot. I am gentle on throttle when accelerating and mostly coasting to a stop at stop signs. Pushing the go pedal hard once in a while creates a beautiful sound. Threw in the pictures of those dueces-they where spectacular. One was a late model with factory pneumatic assist that was plumbed different than on an A3.
Great looking truck Pete!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks