• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton lockout hubs

Hey Vintage Iron glad to see another jump on board the more the merrier. Russ has been working on his when he gets time. He has most of the final design done. They are a bit different than the standard warn setup these have a total different design and should be rather low profile too. I'll try to keep all of you posted.

he informed me some the other day. And they should be pretty low profile also. Hey guys what are your thoughts on an aluminum endcap for the lockout? Or would you rather have steel incase you would hit it on something?

spicergear

If there's a chance of it being low profile like the old Selectro units, I don't think it would matter too much. guys with a wider single wouldn't much matter. If it's going to stick out a bit it may be better to have aluminum so if something does get smacked it doesn't take out the rest of the unit.

Trango

I guess it might be good to mention that I'm having a local machine shop, here in Boulder, duplicate some parts for a broken 5 ton AVM hub I bought off ebay. I don't know how this fact plays into the current discussion, but this might be helpful to know.

Bolkbich

trango..on the avm hub ,which part broke ? i have a broken avm hub. the splined sleeve broke in half. maybe they can make me a sleeve?

Trango

Lol. Is this the "middle" splined sleeve, with the "fine" splines on the inside, and the 8 or so tabs on the outside? If so, that's the part I'm having made.

not doubting anyones abilities but hope they know what types of steel to use and send the parts away to be heat treated. Gearhart only uses the proper types of steel or alum. for his parts. Mild steel machined into the parts isn't gonna be strong enough

Vintage iron

thanks for the heads up, but my partner in this project works as a designer/engineer. We are going a total different direction. We don't think the convental (warn) style lock/unlock hubs can handle the loads these truck will put on them. Some large companies have made made locking hubs before. They had some issues and stopped making them." Nothing like machining lots of small pieces, just to turn them into confetti." Good luck with your design.

yeah these are nothing like the warns either. These have specific dove cut tooth and engagement system. The warn stuff is a bit outdated even the updated hub they built for the Bigfoot trucks back in the 80's is way outdated setup too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks