• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Florida Rally is On!

stalker

Having been to the Richloam location I can certainly see that it is a valid option. As far as non perishables several of us have the room to store them in advance. As far as equipment at the regular site, I am not sure that we would need any of it. A mess tent would be nice though. The alternate site has power, water, showers/bathrooms, and limitless trail riding across the street... all are a huge plus. As far as costs Vinny and I have spoken at length and think cost at the alternate site would be less per person including food and considerably less if individuals chose to bring their own supplies (an option not offered last year) and a reduced rate for day pass individuals (also not offered last year). As to labor organization, I have found quite a few people that I think could be depended on to help out if given so heads-up (THIS IS WHERE THE PEOPLE I JUST TALKED ABOUT CAN POST UP).
The main goal in my opinion is to offer viable options for everyone who enjoy this hobby to be able to get together at a reasonable cost and have personal options (ie.- Day pass and bring your own food people). Without these options it severely limits the number of people who can attend.

SixSpeed

Banned
As much as I would hate to agree with Stalker on anything, I am going to have to agree with him on all levels...sadly.

I really wish Mike were around to hear everyone out on their ideas. For someone who is apparently gung ho on setting up the rally this year, it would be nice to hear his input on location/cost/food/etc.

Everyone I have talked to wants to at least look into the possibility of changing the venue, and some people have concern over the cost/food. My concern was what I was getting for the money. An extremely primitive camp ground can't cost much, if anything. So lets give $45 of the $75 to food. Assuming $30 went to the camp ground fee...which would be a HIGH estimate on my part. For $45, I can feed myself pretty good over a weekend. Granted some people stay longer than Friday/Saturday/Sunday, but some people stay less as well.

I don't think setup/prep work is an issue. I, as well as others, would be willing to help get things done.

rbeasley66

Richloam = Electricity. Running water. Bathrooms, with showers. A short drive across the river to a variety of miles of trails. We drove 51 miles of trails there the Saturday in November. Not to far from extra supplies and fuel if needed. Relocate current supplies and equipment.

Groveland = Private. Where it's been the last few years. A few hundred acres of private property. Bring your own water, power and bathrooms. Where the supplies and equipment are. A good distance from extra supplies and fuel if needed. About 24 miles through the woods to Hwy. 471 at Clay Sink Rd. About 15 miles through the woods to the beginning of Center Grade Rd.

Just some thoughts. :idea: I'm still new here and learning the ropes about things. Where is all the food stored before and during the rally in Groveland? What all would have to be moved if we did relocate?

Willing to help out where I can. Let me know.

stalker

Well there are a couple of the guys I was talking about willing to help... well one and a half since Jack hasn't finished puberty yet ;).

Jack - I don't think costs would even be that high at Richloam.
Rick - While you may be fairly new, I believe everyone can count on you if you say you will help.

Keep the posts coming guys.... we will get this worked out.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kenny,
From what I saw, most of the food shows up with Mike when he comes up from south Florida, and Walter is supposed to bring his MKT this year, which will make food prep easier (and I'm planning on coming to help out in the kitchen). That leaves the GP medium, tables, chairs, portapotties, and the wash station. If we have electricity at Richloam, and bathrooms, running water and showers, it really starts to look good because we don't need the portapotties or the wash station. That leaves plates, cups, napkins and flatware for the food part, and maybe some light strings for night-time illumination. At Richloam, we will need communications - FRS, CB, or HAM rigs because of the greater distances involved. I can bring a PRC-77 and the base station antenna system for six meter HAM operations. What else is involved that I'm not aware of?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, let me ask you all this. Anyone want to go by there and see what kind of accomodations they can arrange for us? Large field or some area where the masses can assemble? Lets hash this out a bit more.

stalker

OK, let me ask you all this. Anyone want to go by there and see what kind of accomodations they can arrange for us? Large field or some area where the masses can assemble? Lets hash this out a bit more.

Kenny- that has already been done as we have had ywo smaller rallys there in the last 6 months. Vinny can get the ball rolling with the camp groud and between him, I, and Jack we can gather and place info regarding the campground.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can someone share with me what the accomodations would be? Individual campgrounds? Pasture? Field? Wooded area? What about capacity? I don't want to go back to Mike without knowing what is there.

cessnatwin

Richloam is a very good choice, and Stalker knows it well so the group would have an excellent tour guide! **** no Jack you cannot navigate through a paper bag, so put the upside down map away! Why is the food such a big deal?? Just bring your own food! Or count on Vinnies cooler! That campground is NOTHING to be proud of, but are we actually going for that? Just make sure the power works so I do not have to listen to a generator run so that Vinny is all warm when cuddled up with his blanket. Also, half the people who suggested so much stuff for the last camp out all backed out at the last minute, so you can only really count on yourself! SO BE PREPARED! also, Kenny I just purchased 2 of the wireless headsets and wish I had bought 2 more at the deal I got! They are great thank you for your help!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are awesome aren't they? Just gotta be shopping when they come up. Personally, I don't mind skinnin my own food but Mike has always fed the masses. I think it would be a ton easier if he didn't. The free wheelin MKT type deal that works out of the GA Rally is fine by me. Sigh! Just going to have to get Mike to sign into SS so he can post.

cessnatwin

Just keep it simple, your own food keeps it that way! That seems like what everyone is griping about, 75 bucks or something too much for food.
Yes the headsets rock, especially in the goat cause it is kinda loud!

SixSpeed

Banned
Kenny, the website to the campground is down right now. The was having a new website built but the guy had a stroke or something. I am going to see if i can work with the owner to get it back up.

They have shower & bath facilities, as well as a pavilion. There is one big fire pit, and a few smaller ones. There are lights & electricity around the camp ground as well.

There are two parts to the property, a "primitive" ground and the...uhh..non-primitive. I guess. We have never needed to use the primitive camp ground. It certainly isn't as big as the Florida Rally site, which is the only downside I see. I think it would just call for some more careful parking.

vinny-socom1

Thanks Jack I thought I was blocked from the website since I could not get on for a hour or so. I'm going to give Tim a call tomorrow about doing a ride to the campground & trails and iron out the details.

I was doing some rough math on the Sam's website and could do a really good menu for about $30.00-40.00 a person that would be $20.00 a person for camping. So around $50.00-60.00 a person might be doable and possible less for single day food tickets or such. I guess we can hash that out later.

Vinny