• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1078 LMTV Fix-up Thread

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
Back to my CTIS issue that I have posted a bunch on the tread about since February.

Update #7
I removed both sides of the rear axle. New seals all around. Still have the same problem!

I'm total out of ideals. I have replaced virtually ever part from the controller to the wheels & the valve still sticks open.

I think if I can't get it, I'm just going to sell the truck. It is one of the main reasons I wanted it as CTIS is such a great option. A lot of people delete it & otherwise the truck is now in phenomenal mechanical shape.

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
Hang in there!....Someone will suggest something. You have done fabulous work and are an excellent trouble shooter. It will work out
Update #8
There did end up being something obstructing air flow in the suspected line built into the wheel hub. See attached pictures. I'm not exactly sure what it is, but my guess is old RTV & sand.
226552895_544518743403408_4956325620822005090_n.jpg 229054228_912234766307930_8124144358170197065_n.jpg
It was not a complete blockage so air would pass but it would hold back enough pressure to make the valve stay open, similar to the issue with the hose on the front wheel valve I figured out. It was a bit tacky making it hard to blow out via the air gun.

Some was also in the hub at the fitting.

Did a functions check & all settings work now. Fill is a bit slow but ultimately works.

Thanks you everyone for the input & ideas over the past few months trying to figure this out.

Going to have a lot to put in my next video update!

BERZERKER888

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Back to my CTIS issue that I have posted a bunch on the tread about since February.

Update #7
I removed both sides of the rear axle. New seals all around. Still have the same problem!

I'm total out of ideals. I have replaced virtually ever part from the controller to the wheels & the valve still sticks open.

I think if I can't get it, I'm just going to sell the truck. It is one of the main reasons I wanted it as CTIS is such a great option. A lot of people delete it & otherwise the truck is now in phenomenal mechanical shape.
I’ll give y’all a dollar 350 for the truck….!!!!

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
Well, since I got it... not for sale anymore. :p

Drained & filled the axle with oil. Took it for a 30 mile or so drive to get fuel. Seems good.

One time the quick release valve dumped a bit while filling. But, ultimately it works. Thinking that maybe some gunk made it;s way to it. Hoping it will just work itself out with a bunch of cycles.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Well, since I got it... not for sale anymore. :p

Drained & filled the axle with oil. Took it for a 30 mile or so drive to get fuel. Seems good.

One time the quick release valve dumped a bit while filling. But, ultimately it works. Thinking that maybe some gunk made it;s way to it. Hoping it will just work itself out with a bunch of cycles.
Happy Days CallMeColt !

Glad to hear you found the problem. I could hear your frustration. I remember being pretty agitated when I was trying to replace the rubber cab support biscuits on my M1088 (the winch side). Seemed like I was not getting to the solution - and - out of nowhere the magic finally happened. Glad it worked for you too!

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Small update video. Going to take some time to get the real in depth video made & edited.

Did you ever find a solution to the transmission wiring harness degradation? I expect that will become a problem we all will be facing at some point in the future.

BERZERKER888

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
Did you ever find a solution to the transmission wiring harness degradation? I expect that will become a problem we all will be facing at some point in the future.
Yes. It will be completely rebuilt wire by wire in the future. I don't see another option. I didn't visit Stewart & Stevenson in San Antonio to ask about the harness because I doubt they can get it, & if they can, it's going to cost half what I paid for my truck.

Wires falling apart is going to be the biggest problem for everything on these trucks it seems. I'm finding them behind the dash & up behind the grill as well.

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes. It will be completely rebuilt wire by wire in the future. I don't see another option. I didn't visit Stewart & Stevenson in San Antonio to ask about the harness because I doubt they can get it, & if they can, it's going to cost half what I paid for my truck.

Wires falling apart is going to be the biggest problem for everything on these trucks it seems. I'm finding them behind the dash & up behind the grill as well.
I have noticed when replacing the headlights on my truck recently that the wiring behind the bumper is pretty crispy. I'm making plans to completely rewire the truck. I don't like the idea of it one day burning to the ground due to the insulation flaking out of the wiring harness.

My plan is to use plywood to lay out a new wiring harness template using the existing one. I'm going to make a template for each harness in the truck.

coachgeo

.... I'm making plans to completely rewire the truck. I don't like the idea of it one day burning to the ground due to the insulation flaking out of the wiring harness.

My plan is to use plywood to lay out a new wiring harness template using the existing one. I'm going to make a template for each harness in the truck.
get her done:

.well recorded process of removal/install
.once your first set is done and installed.... bugs worked out...... ......
.sell the plans and/or harnesses!!!

I get a set for commission in making you a millionaire with this idea :D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks