• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Project Wild Weasel M1009

cucvrus

Last night I made a little progress. The lift kit springs are a huge PITA. I replaced the pinion seal and yoke. The original yoke had a broken bolt on it. Moving along. I hope to get the rear axle under the truck tonight.IMG_2080.jpeg

Attachments

Last edited:

cucvrus

I have no idea of what lift it is. I am just installing it. Normally I remove lift kits for local car dealers and return vehicles to stock. 2 years ago, I removed 2 lowering kits from vintage square body 2WD pick-ups and a 454 Suburban. I returned them to stock. People add this lifting and lowering kits to classics, and they don't realize how they are devaluing the vehicles for resale. Dealers either choose to send the modified vehicles to auction or return them to stock. The dealer I worked with has since retired and that is looking like a good idea to me lately. Take Care. Be Safe.

cucvrus

After work I thought I would do some work on the Wild Weasel. I wanted to change the transmission mounts. That wasn’t going as planned. I needed to remove the crossmember because the steel bushings were seized in the mounts. The crossmember bolts needed changed anyway. They were very rusty and lacked the flat washer on both sides. That was easy. I moved onto draining the transfer case. Both plugs were blood tight. That means they weren’t coming out unless I bled trying. That wasn’t happening. I used the 30mm impact socket and BAM. I gave the Milwaukee vise grips another try to get the seal from them output shaft. After many attempts they failed. I used an old beat up pair of Peterson originals and they worked on the first grip. I am letting the transfer case drain until next time I get to work on the truck. Everything went relatively well. Take Care and Be Safe.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks